Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shimano ICE tech rotors keep warping after truing

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-22, 11:51 PM
bmeans7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a Shimano Rt70 Rotor 160mm Centerlock Ice tech rotor in the rear and it had a small bend from new. I used the park tool straightening tool to get it trued to absolutely true, but after a ride with only a little breaking the exact same bend was back. I trued it again and after the same ride it was bent in the same place again. Does anyone still have any idea how I can get it to stay true? Thanks so much!

Last edited by bmeans7; 09-10-22 at 11:57 PM. Reason: Additional information
Old 09-11-22, 09:27 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
Do the brakes stop you? Do they make a lot of noise? Can you feel them dragging? Any other issues other than not the disc isn't quite centered all the time? It's perfectly okay for there not to be any visible gap between the rotor and one of the pads. IMO.
Old 09-11-22, 10:07 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2239 Post(s)
Liked 3,434 Times in 1,797 Posts
It isn't one of their better rotors, which I think have more inherent resistance to this.

Having said that, you might be able to ameliorate the problem by adjusting the caliper position.
Old 09-11-22, 10:37 AM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 356 Posts
Originally Posted by bmeans7
I have a Shimano Rt70 Rotor 160mm Centerlock Ice tech rotor in the rear and it had a small bend from new. I used the park tool straightening tool to get it trued to absolutely true, but after a ride with only a little breaking the exact same bend was back. I trued it again and after the same ride it was bent in the same place again. Does anyone still have any idea how I can get it to stay true? Thanks so much!
It may be that the rotor has some built-in stress in the metal and every time it heats up from braking (not breaking, I hope) the stress gets relieved and the bend is restored. Try "over straightening" at the bend point and see if that works. Also, as was noted, if this bend is not causing problems with braking or noise, you can just ignore it.
Old 09-11-22, 10:07 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked 1,910 Times in 1,140 Posts
From my experience in the auto industry brake rotors warp from heat and the thinner the rotor the easier it is to warp. If the disc is bending in the same place it is likely from a slightly undersized arm that does not tolerate the heat of braking. The cost of replacing the disc will be the expense of a test to see if it is a bad rotor. I would start there. Smiles, MH
Likes For Mad Honk:
Old 09-12-22, 12:31 AM
speedy25

Bikes: Specialized, Trek, Diamondback, Schwinn, Peugeot

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 43 Posts
many materials have a "memory" and will return to the bent state they were once in. Too bad they cant remember to be straight.

Replace with a new one.

-SP
Likes For speedy25:
Old 09-12-22, 08:55 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 693 Posts
Remove the disc and check the mounting surfaces on hub & disc are clean.

Barry
Old 09-12-22, 02:58 PM
bmeans7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the tips do you think that it might help if I got the disk hot during a long decent and then tried to true it while it was still hot? Do you think that would make it more likely to keep it's shape?
Old 09-12-22, 03:12 PM
bmeans7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was thinking to stop as soon as the decent ends and just try to straighten it there. Theoretically would truing it while it was hot help with the "memory" of the disk?
Old 09-12-22, 04:00 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,962 Times in 4,688 Posts
Thanks for all the tips do you think that it might help if I got the disk hot during a long decent and then tried to true it while it was still hot? Do you think that would make it more likely to keep it's shape?
I was thinking to stop as soon as the decent ends and just try to straighten it there. Theoretically would truing it while it was hot help with the "memory" of the disk?
Doubtful.

If it's rubbing and caliper adjustment doesn't make it stop rubbing, just buy a new (better) rotor. Or perhaps return the defective rotor, since you stated it was warped out-of-the-box.
Old 09-12-22, 04:03 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Rear brake? Are you using mostly rear braking and overheating your rotor on every ride? Might explain why it's the rear and not the front.
Old 09-12-22, 04:33 PM
bmeans7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't think I'm over heating them, I mostly do long XC rides and I only have a couple short descents on each ride. I just looked and it does seem to be getting a bit better every time I retrue it. Perhaps the warp will works it's way out.
Old 09-12-22, 05:10 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2239 Post(s)
Liked 3,434 Times in 1,797 Posts
What happens if you swap the front and rear rotors (assuming they are the same diameter)?
Old 09-17-22, 07:50 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 971 Times in 794 Posts
With mechanical avid bb7 discs, if you misadjust the pads, if the non moving pad is too far from the rotor, the moving pad can bend the rotor a bit
this could be your problem, or not at all I've experienced this from messing around with my bb7s when I first got them and was completely new to disc brakes.
Likes For djb: