Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

"Animal" Rides

Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

"Animal" Rides

Old 11-13-19, 01:24 PM
parkbrav

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 97 Posts
"Animal" Rides

Old Man Winter...he's baaa-ck!

Boston is hitting a record low for a high temperature for the day - around 32F

This morning we started at 19F with a 10 knot wind, making the wind chill about 9F

Back to my 5 mile loop for the rest of the winter and hopefully beyond.

What's your "Animal" ride of the day?
Likes For parkbrav:
Old 11-21-19, 09:46 AM
parkbrav

Town had a patch of black ice on the roads this morning- temps hovering around 34F. Pile up on the highway north of Boston.

Seasonal event now as the town's salt & sand budget seems to kick in around December 1. Either that, or the plow man forgot to wake up.

I knew there was black ice on the roads. I chose the "safer" of the two routes in.

On the very last left hand turn I skidded over the yellow dividing lines. Anticipating a skid, I had my left leg down in time to re-balance. No problems.
Likes For parkbrav:
Old 12-03-19, 07:35 AM
parkbrav

Well, Winter Storm Ezekiel is here in full force now.

When I went out, we were getting snow showers. Temperatures at 28F. I was hoping for some frozen snow pack to allow the tires to get a grip. Wasn't an issue, as I could see tire tracks and got a groove for most of the way.

I was gripping the brakes hard down the hill, when the city bus passed me. That was fun.

I got to within .5 miles of the office when I couldn't find a groove in the road. I started fish-tailing in the slush pack. Realizing there were cars behind me, I pulled over and stopped. One lady in a mini-van rolled down the window and offered a ride.

Hah, no thanks. I continued on.

Right then, passing me in the other direction were a snow plow and an ambulance that just happened through the area.

As I turned into the office, the road was less plowed and, although it's counter-intuitive, my tires got a much better grip.

No big deal.

Last edited by parkbrav; 12-03-19 at 07:41 AM.
Likes For parkbrav:
Old 12-11-19, 07:39 AM
parkbrav

If anyone else has a story or two to share, please feel welcome.

This morning, I had less than one inch of slush on the driveway. The roads were relatively clear. There were ongoing snow flurries. I ventured out, taking the "safety outlet" route than only added an extra .62 miles. I made it in to work 15 minutes slower than usual but nothing else to report.

There was an accident on the highway interchange near work, so a lot of my colleagues aren't here yet.
Likes For parkbrav:
Old 01-13-20, 12:48 PM
parkbrav

Snow showers this morning with no accumulation - so far that's about it. Yesterday was sunny and in the upper 60s here in Boston
Old 01-13-20, 09:49 PM
rseeker

Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
It doesn't get cold enough here for animal rides.

The first subfreezing ride of each year feels kind of gripping but then you adapt over a few days and you're like "meh".

I have a new balaclava, new earband and new gloves so I'm hoping for a deep arctic blast at least once this winter.

Sounds like yours are epic though.
Old 01-14-20, 02:11 AM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Like everyone else, just a weird "winter" so far--almost 60 degrees not far from here a few days ago. Tonight, snow above about 500 feet elevation. Was planning on doing Mt. Scott early this morning. I think it is about a bit over 1000 feet or so at the top. Maybe 1100. Will just be sure there's no reports of ice, but will probably still go.
Old 01-14-20, 06:50 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked 1,823 Times in 878 Posts
All I got for an animal ride around my house is zebras.

Old 01-14-20, 07:54 AM
parkbrav

Still waiting for winter to arrive. It's supposed to get real cold next week

Love the zebras!
Likes For parkbrav:
Old 01-14-20, 02:11 PM
Buglady

Bikes: 2018 Ghost Square Trekking B2.8 e-bike; 2015 MEC Cote gravel/touring bike; 1985 Boyes-Rosser tourer, now outfitted as Winter Trundle-bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
You guys are cute.

https://weather.gc.ca/city/pages/ab-52_metric_e.html

I did NOT ride today... minus 18 (C) is my cutoff, and it is currently minus 31 *not* counting wind chill. (-23F, wind chill is taking it down to -40F)

Coldest ride for me this year was 20km at -17C air temp, on New Year's Eve.

Coldest ride EVER was -35C, and I am never doing that again, because even breathing through a mask, I was coughing for a week.

Edit in case you can't see the current weather in the link - here is the warning banner across the top of the weather forecast:

Alerts for: City of Calgary

Warnings

10:25 AM MST Tuesday 14 January 2020
Extreme Cold Warning in effect for:
  • City of Calgary
A multi-day episode of very cold wind chills continues. The coldest wind chill values will be between minus 45 and minus 50.

Extreme cold conditions are expected to last through this week and even into Sunday for some regions.

Extreme cold puts everyone at risk.

Watch for cold related symptoms: shortness of breath, chest pain, muscle pain and weakness, numbness and colour change in fingers and toes.

If it's too cold for you to stay outside, it's too cold for your pet to stay outside.

Extreme cold warnings are issued when very cold temperatures or wind chill creates an elevated risk to health such as frost bite and hypothermia.