Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Winter Storm Kenan - New England

Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Old 01-28-22, 10:56 AM
parkbrav

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 97 Posts

We're expecting a historic snowfall this evening into tomorrow. Predictions of 12+ inches of snow with high winds from the Northeast.

As far south as Rhode Island and as far north as Maine.

I always do my errands before the fur flies...
Likes For parkbrav:
Old 01-29-22, 11:28 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
these wind gusts are CRAZY!
Old 01-29-22, 11:44 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,092 Times in 2,325 Posts
Why do snowstorms only get names after they have crossed the Allegenies?
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 01-29-22, 06:46 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked 758 Times in 407 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Why do snowstorms only get names after they have crossed the Allegenies?
I think it’s based on when the storm system achieves a certain intensity to a specific geographic area or population. Kind of like tropical storm systems (hurricanes) not being named until they reach winds of 39mph. The tropical systems begins way over off the coast of Africa but often don’t become a hurricane until they near North America, and that’s when they’re named. So probably the winter storms aren’t intense enough until they cross the Alleghenies/Appalachians.

Dan
Old 01-29-22, 10:56 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,092 Times in 2,325 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
I think it’s based on when the storm system achieves a certain intensity to a specific geographic area or population. Kind of like tropical storm systems (hurricanes) not being named until they reach winds of 39mph. The tropical systems begins way over off the coast of Africa but often don’t become a hurricane until they near North America, and that’s when they’re named. So probably the winter storms aren’t intense enough until they cross the Alleghenies/Appalachians.

Dan
Upon further investigation, it’s based on the whims of The Weather Channel. It’s an unofficial thing they do. The US weather service doesn’t name them.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 01-30-22, 04:32 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 801 Posts
South-coastal Del. got the worst of the storm for this area. Official snow amount is 9.3" of dry, powdery snow. I know a lot of areas have roads covered with deep, drifting snow. Part of my driveway is covered with 2 1/2 feet. I am going to ask my neighbor to drive his 4-wheel truck around my U shaped driveway a few times. It will all be gone by Thursday at the latest.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 01-30-22, 08:37 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked 1,612 Times in 764 Posts
Friends who still live in southeastern MA told me they got 30 inches of snow, with drifts much higher.
It reminds me of why we moved south when we retired. I'm too old to be shoveling that *stuff*.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 01-31-22, 07:27 AM
parkbrav

IDK why the Weather Channel names some storms but not others.

But this storm started in Winnipeg. It got blown by the jet stream down to Jacksonville FL. It then got squeezed by the cold air all the way north to Nova Scotia. And it rotated to the NE like a hurricane making it a Nor'Easter. It dropped 24 millibars in 24 hours and in other words it underwent a "bombogenesis." And it also fit the formal definition of a blizzard which I think is an inch per hour of snow, 35+ mph winds and low visibility for 3+ hours.
Old 01-31-22, 09:46 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by Bald Paul
Friends who still live in southeastern MA told me they got 30 inches of snow, with drifts much higher.
It reminds me of why we moved south when we retired. I'm too old to be shoveling that *stuff*.
we got about 15" maybe more. our drifts are deeper. nothing like 2015 where we got 30" then 2 days later 30" then 2 days later 30" etc etc etc. for this storm, I went to work 1/2 day Sunday then came home & shoveled our modest patio, well, 1/2 of it anyway. told Wifey: "you know I used to be able to shovel the whole thing, then a path around to the front then rake our roof" I just don't think I can do that anymore
Old 01-31-22, 09:49 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by delbiker1
South-coastal Del. got the worst of the storm for this area. Official snow amount is 9.3" of dry, powdery snow. I know a lot of areas have roads covered with deep, drifting snow. Part of my driveway is covered with 2 1/2 feet. I am going to ask my neighbor to drive his 4-wheel truck around my U shaped driveway a few times. It will all be gone by Thursday at the latest.
ours is gonna stick around longer. they say 50s & rain Thursday, but this stuff isn't going anywhere. it's not March. in March we have more sun & this stuff doesn't linger as long. -4F on my way to work today. yesterday what may have been fluffy was pretty darn heavy by afternoon, ugh
Old 01-31-22, 11:29 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked 1,612 Times in 764 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
we got about 15" maybe more. our drifts are deeper. nothing like 2015 where we got 30" then 2 days later 30" then 2 days later 30" etc etc etc. for this storm, I went to work 1/2 day Sunday then came home & shoveled our modest patio, well, 1/2 of it anyway. told Wifey: "you know I used to be able to shovel the whole thing, then a path around to the front then rake our roof" I just don't think I can do that anymore
Oddly enough, 2015 is when we moved to SC! I was tired!
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 01-31-22, 12:31 PM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by Bald Paul
Oddly enough, 2015 is when we moved to SC! I was tired!
ha! 'nuff said!
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 01-31-22, 05:12 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Upon further investigation, it’s based on the whims of The Weather Channel. It’s an unofficial thing they do. The US weather service doesn’t name them.
And since the Weather Channel HQ is in Atlanta, they rely on what they see on other cable channels to decide if a storm is bad enough to name.

You just need to start a cable channel headquartered in Denver, or Seattle, and make sure the weather channel gets a complementary streaming subscription.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 01-31-22, 06:02 PM
parkbrav

Boston received some visitors over the weekend, including The Weather Channel's Jim Cantore and Good Morning America's Rob Marciano
Old 01-31-22, 06:58 PM
KenCT

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse Carbon 105 (2021) Cannondale Cujo 2 (2018) Cannondale Quick Carbon 1 (2017) Giant Sedona (2006) Cannondale R1000 (2001)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by parkbrav
Boston received some visitors over the weekend, including The Weather Channel's Jim Cantore and Good Morning America's Rob Marciano

Old 01-31-22, 11:29 PM
msalvetti

Bikes: 2021 Trek FX Sport 4, ~1996 Mongoose Crossway 4.50

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 425 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
This was a weird storm. We've lived in this house 30 years (Saugus), and this was the first major snowstorm that gave us the usual drifts over 36 inches in places but no snow on the front steps or the cars, and some patches of grass still visible in the back yard. On average about 24 inches I think.

Mark
Likes For msalvetti:
Old 02-01-22, 08:56 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by msalvetti
This was a weird storm. We've lived in this house 30 years (Saugus), and this was the first major snowstorm that gave us the usual drifts over 36 inches in places but no snow on the front steps or the cars, and some patches of grass still visible in the back yard. On average about 24 inches I think
nice! & yeah when the gusts came by I looked out the front window, totally looked like hurricane wind, albeit technically not as fast. I remember 1 news reporter at some seacoast town, on a cottage deck w/ the water behind her, hanging onto the deck railing w/ a terrified look on her face. she was leaning into the wind saying it was really windy. I feel so bad for them

Last edited by rumrunn6; 02-01-22 at 12:47 PM.
Old 02-01-22, 12:28 PM
parkbrav

I sure do, RumRun! I was watching Channel 5 when one of the reporters stationed out in Brockton had so much sleet and wind that she had to put the snow goggles on!

And Brockton/Stoughton ended up with the area's highest snow fall totals (30.6 inches)!
Likes For parkbrav: