Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Wind Noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-22, 07:18 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 521 Times in 348 Posts
My DW crocheted a pair that fit between the front and rear straps on my helmet with a piece of foam in the forward part to hold them slightly away from my ear buds and now I can even hear my tunes when riding into 20+MPH winds. Who'd a thunk?
Old 03-21-23, 07:23 AM
Dictatorsaurus

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by TennBent
I recently purchased a set of the Cat-Ears due to the threads here on BF. While they recommend the thick, furry ones for hearing aid wearers (that's me), they don't recommend them for hot, humid areas (also me). I went with the middle set, the Airstreamz, and have been pleasantly surprised by their performance. They very noticeably reduce the wind noise and allow me to hear more of what is going on around me. I give them a .
Do you still like the Airstreamz?
Old 03-21-23, 07:55 AM
TennBent

Bikes: BMC Roadmachine, Obed Baseline

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Dictatorsaurus
Do you still like the Airstreamz?

Yes, I do. I won't ride without them anymore. While they won't eliminate all of the wind noise(even the company doesn't claim this), they do reduce it substantially. For me, the difference was quite striking. So far, they have held up well and I've only needed to wash them a few times. If they eventually wear out, I will be replacing them with another pair.
Old 03-21-23, 08:34 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 429 Posts
Originally Posted by gthomson
when I ride, the wind noise to my ears is at a very high decibel ... as soon as I pick up speed the noise of the wind against my ears is like a jet engine.
For years, when either driving a convertible car or cycling at speed, I have worn a decent swimming-type ear plug for damping noise. Like you, I experience sharper noise at some point. Such ear plugs help quite a bit. That reverberating "thrum" and "pulsing" you get at greater wind levels can be harsh; these cut them nearly completely, in my experience. Useful things to have.

Old 03-21-23, 09:18 AM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 521 Times in 348 Posts
Originally Posted by Clyde1820
For years, when either driving a convertible car or cycling at speed, I have worn a decent swimming-type ear plug for damping noise. Like you, I experience sharper noise at some point. Such ear plugs help quite a bit. That reverberating "thrum" and "pulsing" you get at greater wind levels can be harsh; these cut them nearly completely, in my experience. Useful things to have.

Those are the style I wear out on the gun range and when operating saws and such. They work good and they don't fall out of your ears with the added advantage of not having to touch the part that enters your ear canal with dirty fingers. IE: the sponge style.
Old 03-21-23, 10:22 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 429 Posts
Originally Posted by SpedFast
Those are the style I wear out on the gun range and when operating saws and such. They work good and they don't fall out of your ears with the added advantage of not having to touch the part that enters your ear canal with dirty fingers. IE: the sponge style.
Yeah, the foam (sponge) style gum-up on the first use.

These silicone-type "swimmer's" plugs can be washed with mild soap and water, then re-used almost indefinitely. I keep two or three pairs around. Can be found in some pharmacies, sporting goods, occasional larger grocery stores. Some variants of these have longer "stalks" that make it easier to grab and manipulate into the correct spot.
Likes For Clyde1820:
Old 03-23-23, 02:20 PM
fat biker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
More great stuff that directly applies to me.
Cur Rod Stewart.
Have I told you all lately that I love you?

fat biker
Old 03-26-23, 01:09 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
For the past 50 years I have used cotton balls and tear off a couple pieces and put them inside my ears. I do this to block cold air but it also dampens noise to a small degree. I keep the cotton balls in my truck and also put small pieces in the pockets of my riding jerseys and in my sunglass case.