Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Guerciotti GLX? with Shimano Arabesque

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-22, 08:38 AM
Tango1

Bikes: Dawes Super Galaxy, Cannondale Trail 3SL, Gardin TNT, Kuwahara Gravel Resto-Mod

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 221 Times in 68 Posts
Guerciotti GLX? with Shimano Arabesque

Found this bike while cruising local classifieds and this came up, its the right size at 62cm frame and I'm a sucker for pantographs. They're asking $500 CAD or $380 USD but being new to the vintage world and seeing the bike has been listed for a couple months I'm wondering if I'm missing something. This would be a daily rider / commuter which I think it would be great for.

Is this about right? The market in my neighbourhood is still inflated due to COVID so it doesn't seem like a crazy price but I don't want to be left holding the bag either

Old 08-04-22, 08:51 PM
plonz 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 302 Posts
No idea on the Canadian market so I’ll view this as $380 locally in anytown USA. Also no Guerciotti expert but pantos, Columbus decal remnant and Campy drops all spell above-average frameset to me.

Great looking frame, nice wheels and a debatable group set. I personally like the fact it is a complete Arabesque group but have to agree with the critics that it is an average performer at best. Because of this, $300 feels better to me if I were just adding to the stable. If it were to be my main C&V ride, something between $300 and asking Is OK IMO.
Old 08-04-22, 11:46 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 6,481 Times in 3,206 Posts
Before purchase I would remove each brake caliper and look at the fork and brake bridge. They shouldn't be nutted; they should be recessed. This is a really old school brakeset from the '70s mounted on an '80s frame with a front derailleur braze-on. Looks really out of place. Make damn sure there's no front end damage. Run your hand along the down tube and top tube. Inspect the angle of the fork and head tube closely. The rear derailleur is sitting at a very unnatural angle. I would pay whatever I valued the frame at plus whatever price I could sell this group, because I wouldn't want to keep it on that frame.
Likes For SurferRosa: