Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Navigation

Old 08-02-22, 03:55 PM
Ttom

Bikes: Kona Sutra SE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 34 Posts
Navigation

I need a navigation computer, my phone is not reliable in remote areas, Ride with GPS and Strava do not even work on my phone. I want to be able to map a ride on say Open Street Maps and load it to my computer. Touring is the main focus. I do not care about all the extra features all I need is turn by turn nav, average speed, current speed and mileage, don't want it do die in the rain.
Garmin 1030 Plus looks like the obvious best but at $540 dollars that is kind of tough. If that is what I have to do so be it but what about the Bryton 420T for $160?
What do you guys recommend. There are a lot of options and I have not seen half of them yet. I would rather spend the money on a quality bike computer that on a better phone, I can live without the phone.
Old 08-02-22, 04:01 PM
Aardwolf
Wheelman

Bikes: 1982 Holdsworth Avanti (531), 1961 Holdsworth Cyclone

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 320 Posts
I'd suggest Komoot (Komoot.com).
Yep I realise it's another phone app, but it can work on just GPS - doesn't need a phone signal.
It downloads the map to your phone and then it works off just GPS, also does voice navigation with the screen turned off.

You can create the route on their web site (using Open Street Map or Open Cycle Map if you want).

Edit: I'm using it on an old Moto G6

Last edited by Aardwolf; 08-02-22 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Phone info
Likes For Aardwolf:
Old 08-02-22, 04:06 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3342 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,741 Posts
It looks like the GARMIN Edge Explore is all you need.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 08-02-22, 04:22 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
You picked the one of the highest price Garmin's for cycling. There are other models of Garmin Edge with maps at lower prices. You can buy them direct from Garmin for about the same price any dealer can offer them at. But not all have maps if you go too cheap. But all will have features you might not want. Just ignore those, but you'll have them if you ever get interested in them. Be pretty sucky to buy a cheap GPS with few features or that doesn't last but 18 months and then have to fork over more money. Possibly winding up spending more over ten years on a cheapo unit than you would have if you'd just bought the more expensive Garmin that would probably last 10+ years or more.

There are lots of really good GPS cyclometers for cycling if you don't think you care for Garmin. Wahoo, Lezyne, Hammerhead Karoo and more.
Old 08-02-22, 04:40 PM
Ttom

Originally Posted by Aardwolf
Yep I realise it's another phone app, but it can work on just GPS - doesn't need a phone signal.
It downloads the map to your phone and then it works off just GPS, also does voice navigation with the screen turned off.

You can create the route on their web site (using Open Street Map or Open Cycle Map if you want).

Well Komoot is working on my phone so far I will give this a try, however I would still like to look at other options as well.
Old 08-02-22, 06:07 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,368 Times in 1,916 Posts
Have you tried "OSMAnd" (OpenStreetMaps for Android)? It doesn't need a phone/data connection, instead using offline maps from OpenStreetMaps:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...?id=net.osmand
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 08-02-22, 07:12 PM
Ttom

Originally Posted by Aardwolf

Well Komoot is working on my phone so far I will give this a try, however I would still like to look at other options as well.
Old 08-02-22, 07:16 PM
Ttom

John yes I have OSMand+ sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I have issues with it not finding addresses I need also. If it is not reliable in my car I sure don't want to trust it on my bike. I do like OSM and maybe I will figure something out for instance I like the mapping feature, I have added all of the gas stations and eateries in my area for those traveling through.

Last edited by Ttom; 08-02-22 at 07:22 PM.
Old 08-02-22, 07:30 PM
Ttom

Glad I asked, thanks guys Komoot is a good in between solution I think, the Edge looks real good. My phone is not water proof and the gps tracking is very poor, it works well with Waze (no good for bike routes) and that is about it. I have a de-googled phone and that is probably part of the problem also.
If anyone actually uses any of these computers and wants to weigh in I would love the comments, I do not plan to buy anything this month, I am in the thinking stage right now. But I will pull the trigger on something sometime, and I'll let you know how it goes.
Likes For Ttom:
Old 08-02-22, 08:30 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
It looks like the GARMIN Edge Explore is all you need.
Agree, best bang for the buck for what the OP states is his use. Was designed for touring. The Explore 2 was just released, has about 16 hrs of battery life, bs, 12 on the older Explore. Id be looking for a sale somewhere, they list at around $250 vs. $300 for the newer 2.
Old 08-02-22, 09:54 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4222 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 916 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Agree, best bang for the buck for what the OP states is his use. Was designed for touring. The Explore 2 was just released, has about 16 hrs of battery life, bs, 12 on the older Explore. Id be looking for a sale somewhere, they list at around $250 vs. $300 for the newer 2.
For an extra $50, people should get the Explore 2.
Old 08-03-22, 06:00 AM
jakez

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
As this is not often mentioned: Take also a look at the Sigma Sport Rox 12 - I really like this one - software is way better than on Garmin!
Old 08-03-22, 06:31 AM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 244 Posts
I think you used the wrong verb in your post. I've been riding 50 years without a navigation computer, so I doubt you "need" it. I think the word you're looking for is "want".
Old 08-03-22, 06:54 AM
veloz

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 48 Posts
Garmin’s new Edge Explore 2 looks really hard to beat. That said, I’ve happily used a Wahoo Element Bolt for maybe 5 years. It works dependably with Ride with GPS but is no match for the Edge Explores features other than battery life and a more minimal size. We typically don’t use nav much on tour except to get through large cities or busy congested areas. It really can help there.
Old 08-04-22, 09:32 AM
jakez

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by veloz
Garmin’s new Edge Explore 2 looks really hard to beat. That said, I’ve happily used a Wahoo Element Bolt for maybe 5 years. It works dependably with Ride with GPS but is no match for the Edge Explores features other than battery life and a more minimal size. We typically don’t use nav much on tour except to get through large cities or busy congested areas. It really can help there.
Does Garmin still link the current activity tracking straight to the navigation?
Old 08-05-22, 04:41 PM
SwampGrinder

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Garmin Edge vs iPhone

My experience FWIW: I like to gravel ride in remote national forest areas. Needed ability to plan my route and then navigate it. I used to do this on various phone apps that don't need cell signal, only GPS - they worked just fine, but after my phone fell out of its mount a few times I decided I did not want to keep using my expensive iPhone for this purpose. So I got a Garmin Edge. All I wanted it to do was navigate and the Edge was the most highly recommended device for that purpose at the time I did my research. I went with the Edge 530 because I did not see a need for a touchscreen and reviews said everything else was equivalent minus touchscreen. Bottom line: The Edge mostly works just fine, but the GPS reception of the Edge is not nearly as good at the iPhone. There are many places in the area I typically ride where the Edge loses GPS signal (and then gets lost on its navigation), but if I pull out my phone it has plenty of GPS signal and knows exactly where it is. I still regularly use the Edge but find it odd that the dedicated navigation device does not have at least comparable GPS reception as my phone...
Old 08-05-22, 05:41 PM
Ttom

Originally Posted by jakez
As this is not often mentioned: Take also a look at the Sigma Sport Rox 12 - I really like this one - software is way better than on Garmin!
How is the reception, one of the post mentions that the edge loses reception in remote areas where his phone continues to work?
Old 08-05-22, 07:12 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Originally Posted by jakez
Does Garmin still link the current activity tracking straight to the navigation?
Not sure what you are referring to. Navigation on my 1030 is a separate function from tracking an activity. Im typically riding without navigating. On occasion and for rides where I dont know the area or roads, I create a course for the device to give me TBT. I also track those rides and upload to Connect and onward to Ride With GPS. To navigate I will download a created course and start the Navigation, I also then need to separately start the activity track.
Old 08-06-22, 04:13 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 316 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by noimagination
I think you used the wrong verb in your post. I've been riding 50 years without a navigation computer, so I doubt you "need" it. I think the word you're looking for is "want".
You may not neeed navigation to ride your bike, but it does open up a lot of possibilities exploring unfamiliar roads, routes and areas. I would highly recommend it.

I use komoot on my phone. But why would you buy a Garmin explore, that is more expensive than a new waterproof phone with a much better screen and much faster processor?
Old 08-06-22, 07:31 AM
Steve B.

[QUOTE=Racing Dan;22600399]You may not neeed navigation to ride your bike, but it does open up a lot of possibilities exploring unfamiliar roads, routes and areas. I would highly recommend it.
/QUOTE]

Need is the correct word to use. I have used the course creator in RWGPS to send routes to my devices so as to navigate on road networks that I am otherwise unfamiliar with. I possibly could do this with a paper map, though it's difficult to estimate distance on paper, much easier on a computer programs. As well the GPS is keeping track of my position which no paper map can do, so I not only get an accurate position it tells me when to turn. So the answer is Yes, I "need" this device in order to follow routes in area's where I would otherwise get completely lost.
Old 08-06-22, 10:45 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 988 Post(s)
Liked 1,187 Times in 682 Posts
I have been very happy with my Lezyne Super Pro, and I think there are even a few less expensive options with turn-by-turn directions as well. You can download custom offline maps for whatever area you plan to ride in, directly to the unit, which I believe allows you to not rely on the phone at all. The battery claims 26 hours (not that I’ve ever done a ride long enough to test that), connects to the computer easily, shares data with Strava if desired, and charges quickly.
Old 08-08-22, 05:11 AM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 244 Posts
[QUOTE=Steve B.;22600493]
Originally Posted by Racing Dan
You may not neeed navigation to ride your bike, but it does open up a lot of possibilities exploring unfamiliar roads, routes and areas. I would highly recommend it.
/QUOTE]

Need is the correct word to use. I have used the course creator in RWGPS to send routes to my devices so as to navigate on road networks that I am otherwise unfamiliar with. I possibly could do this with a paper map, though it's difficult to estimate distance on paper, much easier on a computer programs. As well the GPS is keeping track of my position which no paper map can do, so I not only get an accurate position it tells me when to turn. So the answer is Yes, I "need" this device in order to follow routes in area's where I would otherwise get completely lost.
Look, I'm glad that a GPS works for you and that you prefer it over other methods. I have no problem with people using GPS to ride. However, it is a ridiculous statement to say that GPS is a "need". It may be nice, it may work better for you than anything else (heck, for all I know it would work better for me, I don't know), but there are other methods that are effective, even if you don't like them or are not familiar with them. I can say this from personal experience: I've been riding for > 40 years without a GPS, and, trust me, I don't do the same neighborhood loop over and over for lack of a reliable method of navigation. Therefore, GPS ≠ a need.

It would be a shame if people avoided exploring new routes if they did not have a GPS, or if their GPS was broken, or they forgot to charge it, or whatever.
Likes For noimagination:
Old 08-08-22, 05:19 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18322 Post(s)
Liked 15,303 Times in 7,232 Posts
I still sometimes use PGS--Paper Guidance System. A/K/A Cue sheets. No need to charge them, and you can use them to help start campfires at the end of the day.

BITD I rode some 6,000 miles one summer using ACA maps. Only got off course a couple of times.

Last edited by indyfabz; 08-08-22 at 05:25 AM.