Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+) > Pills and Ills
Reload this Page >

Cycling after hip replacement

Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Old 05-23-21, 06:32 AM
Jmpierce

Bikes: 82 Trek 710, 90 Trek 750, 86 Vitus, Nishiki Cervino, 1989 Bianchi CdI, 2 Nashbars, an Italian Steel MTB, Sears Spaceliner, and a 74 Schwinn Speedster. I also manage a fleet of Volcanic Patrol bikes, 83 of them.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 120 Posts

65 years young and I just had my first hip replacement. Been a week and a half and it feels better.

I'm wanting to get back to riding, probably won't happen for a couple of months, my question is who has had the procedure and how do you feel once you started back riding?
Likes For Jmpierce:
Old 05-23-21, 09:31 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3342 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,741 Posts
I had a hip fracture (not a replacement). These take longer than hip replacements to heal.

The doctor told me 12 weeks before I could walk and ride again.

I was on a trainer at 5 weeks, riding on the road at 8 weeks.

It probably took me 2 months or so after that to regain the strength. A few days per week in the weight room, and lots of riding every day.

If you have access to a trainer, I recommend you give it a try. Let pain be your guide.

Old 05-23-21, 07:18 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
I had a total hip replacement in August 2018 caused by a bike crash. I had the procedure where they came in from the side (versus the newer anterior procedure). Recovery is different depending on the procedure. I was walking without a cane in two weeks. I started walking several miles a day in 3 weeks following along with my golf buddies. Started riding the trainer at 8 weeks. Started back road riding at 10-12 weeks. Restarted golf at 14 weeks. Note, I had to mount my bike on the trainer using a step stool as I was limited on the legs range of motion for a while.

I was able to do 5 week long bike tours in 2019 and rode 6000+ miles for the year. It took about a year for the hip to feel close to normal. It’s now been 2+ years and my cycling fitness feels like it’s returning to the pre crash level. I’m 68 years old. I’ve lost a little leg strength and also some cardio because I was off the bike for that period. It’s hard to get the cardio back to my pre crash level and I just haven’t felt like making that kind of effort.

if you have questions I’d be happy to assist. Best to follow the surgeon’s and PTs advice on what they will allow. But do listen to your body and do what you feel like doing.
Old 05-24-21, 08:06 AM
Jmpierce

Bikes: 82 Trek 710, 90 Trek 750, 86 Vitus, Nishiki Cervino, 1989 Bianchi CdI, 2 Nashbars, an Italian Steel MTB, Sears Spaceliner, and a 74 Schwinn Speedster. I also manage a fleet of Volcanic Patrol bikes, 83 of them.

Its been about a week and a half. I had the posterior, or maybe the anterior, procedure. I am starting with a cane this week. It feels okay but no where near walking several miles. I'm hopeful that I'll get near to where you are in a couple of years but the other hip needs replacement soon.
Old 05-24-21, 04:51 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1327 Post(s)
Liked 2,442 Times in 1,427 Posts
Moved to Pills and Ills.
Old 05-24-21, 07:19 PM
gringomojado

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 86 Posts
what weight /exercises? Upper body or legs/hips?
Old 05-25-21, 05:31 AM
Jmpierce

I'm doing leg and hip exercises that the PT has given me. I plan to start walking once I get released from my surgeon on Thursday. Goal is to strengthen the hip so that the other can get replaced asap.
Old 05-25-21, 09:03 AM
donheff

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Custom Steel Sport Touring, Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0 SL

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
My wife had a hip replacement in November and has been back on the bike since decent weather returned to DC in March. I broke my hip a few years back and was off the bike for several months but back to normal by the following season.
Old 05-26-21, 03:30 PM
Jmpierce

Two weeks post op and I'm starting on stairs and walking down the driveway. I'm thinking of PT on a recumbent bike trainer.
Likes For Jmpierce:
Old 11-17-21, 07:33 PM
fat biker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
I need both arthritic hips replaced. On the one hand I look forward to eliminating the pain and reduced mobility. On the other hand, it's two surgeries with rehab. It helps to read here that there is life and cycling with new hips.

fat biker
Old 04-09-22, 10:59 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
Old thread, possibly new rehab info.
Chris Carmichael had a hip replaced and of course had a training plan: https://trainright.com/the-hip-repla...-arthroplasty/
Old 09-16-23, 08:33 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Quoted: 2185 Post(s)
Liked 3,337 Times in 1,742 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Old thread, possibly new rehab info.
Chris Carmichael had a hip replaced and of course had a training plan: https://trainright.com/the-hip-repla...-arthroplasty/
Thank you for posting that. Sorry this is reviving an older thread, but ...

In one of the comments on Carmichael's posted training plan, a dual mobility implant is suggested. It seems like one of the major concerns for cyclists is the possibility of post-operative dislocation, and from what I've read so far, the dual mobility implant pretty much eliminates this complication. My wife is looking at this in the fairly near future, and just had the surgical consultation. It seems like the default assumption is that the patient is a sessile couch potato. The consult reminded me of some of the reasons I prematurely terminated med school.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 09-16-23, 09:15 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
That's kinda what I encountered with my heart issue. Took a year to get that idea through to the docs.
Old 09-17-23, 11:23 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Quoted: 2185 Post(s)
Liked 3,337 Times in 1,742 Posts
Anyone have experience with a dual mobility implant ?
Old 10-07-23, 05:16 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 2,226 Times in 1,249 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
I had a hip fracture (not a replacement). These take longer than hip replacements to heal.

The doctor told me 12 weeks before I could walk and ride again.

I was on a trainer at 5 weeks, riding on the road at 8 weeks.

It probably took me 2 months or so after that to regain the strength. A few days per week in the weight room, and lots of riding every day.

If you have access to a trainer, I recommend you give it a try. Let pain be your guide.
I know it’s been a couple of years or so but how are you doing? I broke my hip 5 weeks ago . The surgeon put 3 screws in there to hold it together while it grows back together . I did the typical neck area on the femur below the ball. I’ve been with a cane since the first week , they gave me a walker but that only lasted a couple of days. My follow up showed that everything is holding wel . I am still having some pain but I’m able to work a bit . I’m trying to get into PT but the soonest they can take me is the end of the month. I want to be on my bike before the end of the year as long as I can handle the pain. This is one heck of a painful experience that I wouldn’t wish on anyone.
Old 10-07-23, 08:46 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3342 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,741 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabuki12
I know it’s been a couple of years or so but how are you doing? I broke my hip 5 weeks ago . The surgeon put 3 screws in there to hold it together while it grows back together . I did the typical neck area on the femur below the ball. I’ve been with a cane since the first week , they gave me a walker but that only lasted a couple of days. My follow up showed that everything is holding wel . I am still having some pain but I’m able to work a bit . I’m trying to get into PT but the soonest they can take me is the end of the month. I want to be on my bike before the end of the year as long as I can handle the pain. This is one heck of a painful experience that I wouldn’t wish on anyone.
Yeah, hip fractures are quite a pain. That's great that you're walking with a cane. I was able to ride on a trainer as soon as I was able to walk with a cane.

My fracture was in 2002, broke the trochanter into 4 pieces. There was talk about doing a hip replacement, but the surgeon said he could repair it. The surgeon used something called a "compression hip screw" to pull all the pieces back together:

The device is still in there, as the doctor said I should keep it unless it causes discomfort, and it doesn't. Other than some reduced flexibility (I can't bring my knee to my chest), there are no lingering effects.

My advice is to get moving as soon as you can, and move as much as you can tolerate. Just don't fall. PT is going to be lots of knee and hip extensions/flexions, so if you have gym membership, you can use their machines.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 10-07-23, 09:12 PM
Kabuki12

terrymorse, that is encouraging. I have three 7mm x 95mm screws. They will stay there . I plan to set up my trainer tomorrow just to try and see what happens. There are times I am still feeling a lot of pain but it is getting better. My surgeon said the same thing as you “don’t fall”! Thank you for the update. I’m glad you have recovered.
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 10-12-23, 02:59 PM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 120 Posts
I had bike go out from under me on ice in Dec 2015. Had a non dsiplaced hip fractuce at the neck. The surgeon did 3 canulated screws and I walk around the hospital floor 3 times about 4 hours later. I went home with catheter due to enlarged prostate (BPH) and that was worse than the surgery for one week. I was always able to walk but had to be careful. The doctor knew me and I started out right away doing my own PT. They gave me the stuff and I went at it at home. DR allowed me to get on the trainer a week after surgery as long as I did not push or hae pain. I remember I could not bend easy to reach drops has to ride upright.

I was walking for a bit after about 6 weeks on treadmill easy. I went back to riding outside in about 9 weeks. Finally I am a long distance runner and was able to run 5 miles at about 16 weeks. I was very lucky with it not being displace fx. There is a chance always that hip does not get blood flow and hip replacement is necessay due to the way it flows into the head of hip/femur. I was on the Solemnity of the Immaculate Conception I felt the prayers.

The update these days is I still have the screws in they don't come out and I cannot tell they are there or any real difference. The only downside is after 42 years of long distance running I developed Runner's dystonia and cannot really run. The brain has forgotten how but that is another story. Be careful on the bike I don't go near ice or snow and even gravel,
Likes For deacon mark:
Old 10-25-23, 10:36 PM
Kabuki12

I have been walking short distances without the cane and today I did a short ride on my wife’s beach cruiser. The ride felt great , no problem pedaling even when accelerating. I am at almost 8 weeks. The pain starts to get much worse after about 4 hours of working. Tylenol or ibuprofen works . The three screws will probably stay as I can’t tell that they are there. I see the surgeon in another week . The (almost) 8 weeks of pain have tested me beyond my limits at times and my wife has been terrific at talking me down. I tried getting on my trainer , but no go. The bike is a standard road bike and swinging my leg or trying to step on felt unsafe. The beach cruiser is a step through Townie with Flat Foot design , perfect for my situation. I will continue to walk but over a mile I will take my cane , just in case. My surgeon tells me the pain from a hip repair is greater than that of replacement but I have nothing to compare what I’ve been through. I would not wish this on anyone.

Last edited by Kabuki12; 10-25-23 at 10:39 PM.
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 11-02-23, 10:13 AM
Kabuki12

Update , for those that are paying attention. I actually tried throwing my leg over my vintage Colnago yesterday . I made it , barely , but it hurt a bit . This morning I did some stretching and tried it again . It still hurt but , once I was there, decided to pedal. I ended up doing about 10 minutes riding laps around my building where my shop is. I gotta say ... It Was Fantastic!!!! Feeling the wind, pedaling that old racer , shifting the gears , and braking all went very smooth. Getting on and off hurts and I put my back against the building so I don't fall while getting off. My left leg is feeling the ride a bit , but I will build it up quickly once I start riding again. Joe
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 11-07-23, 05:48 AM
Warbird21

Bikes: Salsa Warbird

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 85 Posts
I had THR anterior, on my left hip on July 14th.
On Aug 14th, I was released for the pool. Fortunately, it stayed warm here in MD until mid-Sept, and I did a lot o walking in the shallow end and some laps.
On Sept 7th, I was released for anything.
I rode a few times on my Zwift in the basement, 8-10 miles at an easy pace (no hills on my Hub).
I went outside near the end of Sept and overdid it. 15+ plus miles was too much, even on the relatively flat C&O Canal (I'm 2.5 miles from the Canal, with some hills). I backed it down to 8-10 mile rides and tried to keep my pace not over 15 mph. Cycling on the bike, I had no pain/issues, but the next day my left thigh was very sore.
This weekend, I rode 15 miles Saturday at a 14.5 mph pace and had no issues.
Last night,I rotated the tires on my Avalon, and my thigh is sore today.
The doc told me I'd have soreness for until mid-January and let my body pace my activity.
It's been tough, not leaping right back into where I was pre-op.
I do a lot of stretching 3x's day, that really helps.
Old 11-07-23, 01:11 PM
Calsun
Banned

Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
My wife after her hip replacement was back bicycling within a few weeks. What helped her a great deal was finding a competent therapist who could stretch the joint to prevent scar tissue from building up or connective tissue from shortening. The person she found practices Active Release technique and this made all the difference in the world in terms of her recovery in the months following the operation.