Search
Notices
Northern California Northern California

Road work Mt. Diablo?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-21, 06:03 PM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 89 Posts
Road work Mt. Diablo?

Does anyone know why they are drilling core samples at numerous points along both NG and SG Road? I saw several areas marked out in paint and then patched areas where they drilled out a section of the pavement, and probably the ground beneath the road. One day I saw the crew doing the work, it was a drill rig on a pickup truck (private company) and they were stopped in the middle of the lane drilling out a 4" diameter hole in the road. Are they planning on rehabbing the road or doing something else? I'm curious, since it is in numerous spots, and on both NG and SG roads. I first thought it was only in areas where they may have to repair the road/embankment failures, but they are even in areas of very good pavement and no failures/cracking.
Old 11-22-21, 06:31 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4337 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,617 Posts
I can't think of any reason to do this EXCEPT for road repairs. There are a lot of those bore holes and they don't match up with where the planned turnout lanes are. So hopefully they're going to do not just a re-surface but maybe some stabilization as well... all part of the big infrastructure plan.
Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 11-23-21, 11:24 AM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 89 Posts
Yeah, maybe they intend to do a full reconstruct on the whole road. That would be great once finished, but boy the headaches during construction! Knowing how slow some of these projects go, it could be months of challenging rides up there with delays and ground up pavement. Also there are a lot of areas that need base repair (and entire sections of failed roadway!), and that might cause the entire road to be closed for weeks. In the end it might help my Strava time, if we get brand new smooth tarmac tho! I always worried at some point they'd do a rough chip seal or something and cause the road to become really "heavy". But if they do new asphalt, that would be awesome (again, once finished)!
Old 11-23-21, 12:02 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Originally Posted by cthenn
Yeah, maybe they intend to do a full reconstruct on the whole road. That would be great once finished, but boy the headaches during construction! Knowing how slow some of these projects go, it could be months of challenging rides up there with delays and ground up pavement. Also there are a lot of areas that need base repair (and entire sections of failed roadway!), and that might cause the entire road to be closed for weeks. In the end it might help my Strava time, if we get brand new smooth tarmac tho! I always worried at some point they'd do a rough chip seal or something and cause the road to become really "heavy". But if they do new asphalt, that would be awesome (again, once finished)!
I've been riding Diablo for 30 years and I've seen multiple road work projects, including big ones. They generally never close the road entirely, they do short sections of one-lane closures with traffic controls, with brief periods of both lanes closed (short sections) when necessary.. So I expect more of the same. What I hope they're doing is some stabilization so we don't get the washouts and slides so frequently.
Old 09-17-22, 07:46 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Nearly done with the safety pullout lanes on The Mountain.
You can't fix stupid though, ride defensively.

Old 10-21-22, 01:58 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 916 Posts
Has anyone listened to the Better with Bikes podcast? They did an interview with Alan Kalin and getting those turnouts. I thought it was pretty good. https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/podcast/