Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Sign of too little food on the ride?

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Sign of too little food on the ride?

Old 04-17-22, 11:02 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Try fueling with some solid food and snacks instead of just drinking your calories.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 04-17-22, 01:57 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
The symptoms can be subtle and individual. When I start running low, I get sort of an "unsettled" feeling in my gut. Not like diarrhea or nausea, just different. Contact points start to hurt a little more, and it takes more effort to hold myself up. I'm getting better at not ignoring these signals, but often it's the fact that I can't maintain my target speed in the absence of an obvious headwind or uphill that drives home I need to do something.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 04-18-22, 03:14 AM
ZHVelo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
I go through 25 fluid ounces of drink every 50 minutes. So I normally have two bottles on my bike and that gets me a tad over 30 miles. I personally won't ride 20 minutes without water. In the summer heat here one can die without staying properly hydrated. And getting dehydrated can cause you to mistake thirst and hunger as well as a lot of other things.

For rides longer than 30 miles, if I can fill my bottles somewhere with water, I take dry mix to put in them. When I can't do that, I've stuffed a bottle in my jersey pocket or velcro'd it to the underside of my top tube and even taped one to the underside of my downtube a time or two. Put that bottle in a plastic bag. It'll get all sorts of road filth flung onto it from the front tire.

So I have carried four 25 fl oz bottles on rides and could do 5 or 6 bottles if willing to deal with them in my jersey pockets. Those get switched out as soon as I empty the first bottle as the weight is annoying in a back jersey pocket.

So if you run out of drink while riding distances, you need to stop and call for your SAG person.
All the articles I read on hydration seem to suggest that pretty much no one over-hydrates but under-hydration is incredibly common, so I echo this. Although I find it funny after googling how much 25 ounces is in ml to realise you have 25 ounce bottles which is 739ml but here we have 750ml bottles

I personally aim to drink 1 750ml bottle every hour and plan long rides in advance to know where fountains are to refill. At the fountain I would then drink some additional water straight from the cold fountain. I choose an hour because it seems somehow easier to track than anything else. Although if they did 850ml bottles I would get them and do 850ml an hour I think. As I also think one can almost not drink enough. In fact, last summer I was feeling somewhat bad on the descent of a pass I wanted to come back up the other side but on the way down drank like maybe 400ml of just water while filling up and that got me back to feeling good. Totally anecdotal but to me I think for me, the more I drink the better. Granted, on my ride yesterday it meant I had to find a place to stop and pee, but that is a small price to pay. And in the summer where you sweat more, I have gone 4-5 hours without feeling the need to pee.
Likes For ZHVelo:
Old 04-18-22, 03:49 AM
qwaalodge
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Training in the heat makes a huge difference. I purposely go out for day rides in the hottest part of the day. That practice also helps one when it's not hot. I've done long pass climbs in 105°. Takes a lot of water. I use HR to watch for dehydration. This is only safe if you know where your water sources are. I've gone through 70 oz. of water in 20 miles, maybe half of that climbing, though I was probably a little dehydrated when I started that leg. I've ridden on asphalt so hot that my tires left dents in the road. That sucked.

Google heat shock proteins (HSPs).
I definitely notice I'm significantly faster and less tired on cooler temps at under 85F. For sure, there is less oxygen in the air at higher temps so maybe helped force adaptations to the blood and lungs. But I certainly don't like the headaches I get from riding in hotter temps. Maybe next month, I'll have another try with lots more liquids and maybe rice bars.
Old 04-18-22, 05:53 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4362 Post(s)
Liked 3,000 Times in 1,853 Posts
Originally Posted by qwaalodge
I definitely notice I'm significantly faster and less tired on cooler temps at under 85F. For sure, there is less oxygen in the air at higher temps so maybe helped force adaptations to the blood and lungs. But I certainly don't like the headaches I get from riding in hotter temps. Maybe next month, I'll have another try with lots more liquids and maybe rice bars.
There is the same amount of oxygen in air at high and low temperature, except for the tiny difference induced by greater absolute humidity at higher temperature. There is, however, less air per unit volume at high temperature. It is doubtful that this is having a noticeable on your energy, however.

You have trouble at higher temperature because it's harder for your body to shed heat and possibly owing to dehydration if you are not drinking enough.
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 04-18-22, 09:00 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6176 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
And again, don't forget that when dehydrated some people confuse the signals they are getting and think they are hungry.

Google - dehydration confused with hunger

And headaches are a sign of dehydration for some people.

Google - dehydration and headaches

Last edited by Iride01; 04-18-22 at 09:03 AM.
Old 04-18-22, 10:53 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
There is the same amount of oxygen in air at high and low temperature, except for the tiny difference induced by greater absolute humidity at higher temperature. There is, however, less air per unit volume at high temperature. It is doubtful that this is having a noticeable on your energy, however.

You have trouble at higher temperature because it's harder for your body to shed heat and possibly owing to dehydration if you are not drinking enough.
Do you use a heart rate monitor or power meter?
Old 04-18-22, 11:12 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
However, in the 2 hr mark, I've exhausted my drink bottle that contained diluted milk chocolate with a pinch of salt. From that point, my strength rapidly deteriorated and started feeling sore in my legs. I started having nausea too.
I've certainly heard of recovering with chocolate milk, but have NEVER heard of chocolate milk during a ride. And doesn't milk (as well as milk chocolate) contain tryptophan which is a sleep inducing amino acid (the same stuff in turkey), which may explain your strength declining? I think iced coffee (with minimal milk, or just black) would be a better alternative in a bottle, or FIGHT MILK!!

Edit: Tryptophan article with known side effects including muscle weakness and fatigue: https://www.healthline.com/health/tr...n#side-effects

Last edited by Riveting; 04-18-22 at 11:31 AM.
Old 04-18-22, 11:15 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
I drink chocolate milk on long rides
Old 04-18-22, 11:37 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

I too drink chocolate milk on long rides. I find it to be an excellent anti-bonk tonic.

I've never had an issue with it making me sleepy. Also, "sleepy" and "tired" are not the same thing.

Last edited by MinnMan; 04-18-22 at 11:40 AM.
Old 04-18-22, 11:50 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Originally Posted by Riveting
I've certainly heard of recovering with chocolate milk, but have NEVER heard of chocolate milk during a ride. And doesn't milk (as well as milk chocolate) contain tryptophan which is a sleep inducing amino acid (the same stuff in turkey), which may explain your strength declining? I think iced coffee (with minimal milk, or just black) would be a better alternative in a bottle, or FIGHT MILK!!

Edit: Tryptophan article with known side effects including muscle weakness and fatigue: https://www.healthline.com/health/tr...n#side-effects
I thought the "sleep-inducing tryptophan" thing had been debunked. There are lots of perfectly-valid reasons why you'd want to take a nap after Thanksgiving dinner, and an amino acid that's in practically everything is way down the list...
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 04-18-22, 12:45 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
I thought the "sleep-inducing tryptophan" thing had been debunked. There are lots of perfectly-valid reasons why you'd want to take a nap after Thanksgiving dinner, and an amino acid that's in practically everything is way down the list...
I don't make these things up, I just report on them. But yes, I just found lots of articles that say the tryptophan myth is debunked. Though I still can't find a single article that says drinking milk (or chocolate milk) "during" a ride is a good idea. Maybe I'm propagating yet another myth?
Old 04-18-22, 02:10 PM
MinnMan

I don't make these things up, I just report on them. But yes, I just found lots of articles that say the tryptophan myth is debunked. Though I still can't find a single article that says drinking milk (or chocolate milk) "during" a ride is a good idea. Maybe I'm propagating yet another myth?
Actually, you are making things up. You reacted to something that you hadn't heard of by cautioning against it, without reliable evidence.

Several here have told you that drinking chocolate milk during rides works for them. That's anecdotal evidence, which you can choose to believe or not. But you think they could be wrong because you can't find an "article" that affirms it so? What exactly is this faith in "articles" that you have that leads you to think that it's probably bad to do all things that aren't endorsed by these sacred texts? Have you found any "articles" that say that drinking chocolate milk during a bike ride is a bad idea? If not, then, well, you're making things up.

I'll bet you can't find any articles that say that singing show tunes during a bike ride is a good idea. Will you caution me against that also?
Old 04-18-22, 03:00 PM
GhostRider62

What Riviting might be thinking of is during very long rides when insufficient proteins are consumed, the least preferential amino acid is more easily hitching a ride on the transport mechanism across the blood brain barrier. There have been hypothetical articles (probably wrong) about fatigue in this regard. If I start a long ride at 4 am, I might have espresso beforehand and then start to eat around 45-60 minutes into the ride and will enjoy chocolate milk and Lil Debbies powdered donuts until maybe middle of the day and then start to try to add more protein and certainly into the night, I prefer to have some proteins or BCAA. It all burns. Maybe not ideal for a hard core endurance racer. The key is eating enough protein or BCAA, which is why (I think) many seasoned long distance riders like to eat food.

If you eat too little, the first sign is slowing down a bit because oxidizing fat is not as efficient (uses more o2) and ultimately, after the glycogen is toast and the liver has dumped all the glucose, the real effect takes place. The brain goes haywire (unless on can run on ketones) with shaking, dizziness, confusion, and extreme difficulty standing. Picking the right pace and eating schedule on a long ride isn't rocket surgery but it isn't obvious either.
Old 04-18-22, 03:04 PM
Riveting

Originally Posted by MinnMan
Actually, you are making things up. You reacted to something that you hadn't heard of by cautioning against it, without reliable evidence.

Several here have told you that drinking chocolate milk during rides works for them. That's anecdotal evidence, which you can choose to believe or not. But you think they could be wrong because you can't find an "article" that affirms it so? What exactly is this faith in "articles" that you have that leads you to think that it's probably bad to do all things that aren't endorsed by these sacred texts? Have you found any "articles" that say that drinking chocolate milk during a bike ride is a bad idea? If not, then, well, you're making things up.

I'll bet you can't find any articles that say that singing show tunes during a bike ride is a good idea. Will you caution me against that also?
No, I brought it up first, based on fairly common knowledge, followed with a citation to a health website as a source, and THEN you crazy milk drinkers piped in with your experiences. And I never said I didn't believe it, I said I had never heard of anyone doing it. Don't put words in my mouth.

The fact that you didn't quote a single source about the advantages of in-ride milk drinking confirms everything I need to know.
Old 04-18-22, 04:41 PM
MinnMan

No, I brought it up first, based on fairly common knowledge, followed with a citation to a health website as a source, and THEN you crazy milk drinkers piped in with your experiences. And I never said I didn't believe it, I said I had never heard of anyone doing it. Don't put words in my mouth.

The fact that you didn't quote a single source about the advantages of in-ride milk drinking confirms everything I need to know.
1) You added the link in an edit, after the fact.
2) the link talks about reactions that some people may have to taking tryptophan supplements. It makes no mention of severe side effects from tryptophan in foods in general or milk specifically.
3) the fact that I didn't cite whether drinking chocolate milk is good or bad for athletic performance proves only that no specific information had been introduced to the conversation, and if that's "all you need to know", you aren't really taking part in a substantive discussion.
4). https://www.webmd.com/fitness-exerci...w-sports-drink
5) https://exsci.cuchicago.edu/chocolat...ecovery-drink/
6: https://jissn.biomedcentral.com/arti...970-019-0272-0
7) https://uamshealth.com/medical-myths...workout-drink/
8) etc.
9) bye
Old 04-18-22, 05:36 PM
GhostRider62

Just to be clear, I was generous with my time with you, a complete no nothing. I won't make that mistake again. You call me crazy? For responding and explaining your ignorance? I'd like an apology
Old 04-21-22, 06:45 PM
qwaalodge
Banned.

Great info posted on milk. I found oatmeal with modest amount of milk + sugar is great for refueling AFTER a workout session.

Sometimes, I take 1 cup worth of oatmeal (with milk and sugar) before a ride but never during a ride. Perhaps, I can bring a bottle of oatmeal with me but that means stopping to eat unless I can find a cycling bottle with wide straw designed for drinks mixed with solids.
Old 04-22-22, 06:38 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Great info posted on milk. I found oatmeal with modest amount of milk + sugar is great for refueling AFTER a workout session.

Sometimes, I take 1 cup worth of oatmeal (with milk and sugar) before a ride but never during a ride. Perhaps, I can bring a bottle of oatmeal with me but that means stopping to eat unless I can find a cycling bottle with wide straw designed for drinks mixed with solids.
There is no rule that says, you shouldn't stop during your ride to eat or drink....If you need to stop during your ride to eat a snack or take a drink, then stop and do what you need to do.
Old 04-22-22, 06:44 AM
wolfchild
Banned

I've drank plenty of milkshakes and chocolate milks during my rides over the years and never experienced any issues from it....So yes you are propagating a myth.
Old 04-22-22, 07:07 AM
qwaalodge
Banned.

Originally Posted by wolfchild
There is no rule that says, you shouldn't stop during your ride to eat or drink....If you need to stop during your ride to eat a snack or take a drink, then stop and do what you need to do.
The voice of reason. But I won't be able to eat the whole bottle of oatmeal in one sitting. That means multiple stops.

I found a sports bottle with thick straw in aliexpress. Should allow me to eat oatmeal while riding but not sure if the 600 or 1000 ml will fit the bottle cage.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...rch-mainSearch
Old 04-22-22, 08:31 AM
MinnMan

Whatever floats your boat, but oatmeal through a straw seems like an inopportune choice for fueling during a ride, whether you are stopping or not. It's better to choose items that are easy to eat and swallow, and there are plenty of options around that are rather easily eaten whilst riding.

Also, as has been mentioned in other related threads, once you begin taking in nutrition during a ride, it's better to eat a little bit at relatively short intervals - every 15 minutes or every 30 minutes, depending on the ride intensity. There's nothing wrong with stopping to eat occasionally, but a solution that allows small portions repeatedly while underway has multiple advantages.
Old 04-22-22, 12:05 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
The voice of reason. But I won't be able to eat the whole bottle of oatmeal in one sitting. That means multiple stops.

I found a sports bottle with thick straw in aliexpress. Should allow me to eat oatmeal while riding but not sure if the 600 or 1000 ml will fit the bottle cage.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...rch-mainSearch
I dunno. Maybe the worst possible choice? There's always Ensure (grocery store): 1 bottle/25 miles or whatever works? Put a bottle or two in your water bottle, fill the rest of the way with water. Good nutrition, easy to drink. For two water bottle rides, put 40g of SIS in each bottle, fill with water, shake, Very palatable. https://www.scienceinsport.com/us/go...olyte-1-6kg-us

Another very simple solution is to take some Clif Bars along. Open a bar or two while stopped, break them into quarters, put in jersey pocket. Every 15' or so, eat 1/4 bar. Works but gets old on a double century.
Old 04-22-22, 04:32 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6176 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
Not sure what kind of oatmeal you are talking about. 40 grams of rolled oats is going to give you 150 Calories of which only 108 Calories will be from carbohydrates that will get converted to energy faster than the other stuff. 40 grams of rolled oats is also the serving size that I eat for breakfast sometimes and that will fill me up till lunch if I'm not doing much else.

150 Calories of carbohydrate being more or less what I put in one bottle for 50 minutes of riding, I'd imagine by 3 hours of riding this thread was originally about you'll have a pretty full stomach with more than 3 servings of oats in you, and probably coming out every orifice since oatmeal does give one a lot of soluble fiber to improve bowel movement. And exercise on a full stomach makes me want to puke.

I suppose you could just do one serving. But still one bottle of anything isn't going to be enough for 3 hours. You'll need to make more allowances for hydration whether you put anything in your bottles or not.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 04-22-22, 06:07 PM
qwaalodge
Banned.

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
I dunno. Maybe the worst possible choice? There's always Ensure (grocery store): 1 bottle/25 miles or whatever works? Put a bottle or two in your water bottle, fill the rest of the way with water. Good nutrition, easy to drink. For two water bottle rides, put 40g of SIS in each bottle, fill with water, shake, Very palatable. https://www.scienceinsport.com/us/go...olyte-1-6kg-us

Another very simple solution is to take some Clif Bars along. Open a bar or two while stopped, break them into quarters, put in jersey pocket. Every 15' or so, eat 1/4 bar. Works but gets old on a double century.
I'll give it a try. Meanwhile, I have a few strawberry chocolate rice bars I might give a shot. Tastes great but fairly expensive to me if I'm going to eat lots of it in a ride.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.