Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Schwinn Stingrays: '78 3-speed Fair Lady, '79 Lil’ Chik & '04? Kids Chopper

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-22, 01:37 PM
ZANGIT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello,
I am new here and signed up because I was hoping someone was willing to share their expertise/opinion about the (market) value of these 3 old Schwinn Stingrays.
They have been neglected in my garage in Pittsburgh, PA, and are patiently waiting for some attention.
They all have original tires, paint, and parts. And some rust (see photos below).
Please let me know if more/other photos would be useful, and (if so) what I should be showing more of.
Thank you in advance for your time and expertise.

More details & photos

#1 Schwinn Stingray Fair Lady 1978 model, sky blue 3 speed, 20”
Serial number DN513047 (likely manufactured April 1977)

Fair Lady
===========
#2 Schwinn Stingray Lil Chick 1979 model
, sky blue 1 speed, 20”

First year of new ‘color coordinated’ styling (new saddle design, etc.) Serial number: K8538534—likely manufactured May 1978

Lil' Chik

===========
Schwinn Stingray (OCC-type) kids Chopper Bike 2004? purple, removable training wheels
Barely ridden; it was surprisingly tough to find info about this one on-line. From what I could find, it seems that these weren’t endorsed by OCC at the time because Schwinn was still working on a deal with Harley, which fell through before the OCC marketing deal was done. I bought it at Toys R Us.

Chopper
Old 07-24-22, 01:59 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Generally, girl's bikes are worth a small fraction of boys bikes. What people really want are the five speed boys "Krate" bikes. Sometimes the girl's style bikes make excellent donor bikes for someone rebuilding a boys bike (lots of common parts).

The Cabe is the best source of information on bikes like this. I can't see the modern one having any significant value.
Please don't confuse ebay "asking" prices with "selling" prices. Many sellers never get their ask price. some are far from it. Value is determined once an item actually SELLS. Its easy enough to check SOLD prices.
Old 07-27-22, 05:46 PM
ZANGIT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you Thrifty Bill!!

Thank you very much. I appreciate you taking the time to answer.

Do you think something like $100 is a good number for each of the girls' Stingrays from the 70's? Or something else?

I wasn't sure what kind of fraction makes sense for parts like you mentioned, and I don't know what the boys' versions of the same age/condition might be.

I looked at a bunch on-line before I posted this, but I know I don't really know what to look for condition-wise and would end up guessing. It seems like it varies a lot.

Originally Posted by wrk101
Generally, girl's bikes are worth a small fraction of boys bikes. What people really want are the five speed boys "Krate" bikes. Sometimes the girl's style bikes make excellent donor bikes for someone rebuilding a boys bike (lots of common parts).

The Cabe is the best source of information on bikes like this. I can't see the modern one having any significant value.
Old 07-27-22, 07:44 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26408 Post(s)
Liked 10,376 Times in 7,204 Posts

Schwinn Stingrays and Other Muscle Bikes

...this is the forum on the CABE that will know the most about these, and their values. You will need to join in order to start a thread, asking. But membership is free.
Old 08-01-22, 06:07 AM
ZANGIT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you -

OK- I will see what they have to say - thank you and enjoy your ride/s!!

Originally Posted by 3alarmer

Schwinn Stingrays and Other Muscle Bikes

...this is the forum on the CABE that will know the most about these, and their values. You will need to join in order to start a thread, asking. But membership is free.
Old 08-01-22, 10:36 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101

way back I bought a coaster brake one for $25 and turned it into a proto BMX bike - welded in a top tube half way up and a brace between the two down tubes- ditched the chain guard and kick stand, a number of other mods, sold at a handsome profit and bought a Phil bottom bracket and used pair of Campagnolo pedals.
priorities ya know.
Old 02-02-24, 07:31 PM
Debbiek271
Dreamer

Bikes: Haro f2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have you still got the fairlady?
Old 02-16-24, 07:59 PM
macstuff 

Bikes: A Blue One and 2 Green One's, then there's the Yellow one. And oh, yeah, a Black One. Did I mention the Red One?

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 195 Times in 82 Posts
$200
$200
$125