Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

I'm Not Training; I'm Exercising

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

I'm Not Training; I'm Exercising

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-22, 04:08 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,534 Times in 1,044 Posts
Originally Posted by HeyItsSara
I know what you mean. If you have a specific goal, then I understand working to numbers. If you need to lower cholesterol, lose weight, increase muscle mass, etc. If you weight is good and your cholesterol and other numbers are OK with your dr, then have fun. Why not?
Conversely, ride to have fun, regardless of weight, cholesterol or doctor approved numbers.
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 08-10-22, 12:16 PM
DirePenguin

Bikes: 2014 Trek 8.3 DS, 2022 Trek Domane SL5

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by AlgarveCycling
If I wasn't racing, I'd still chase PR's on Strava segments for fun I think, so that would keep me competitive to a degree and make me do higher intensity stuff. I'd not call that 'training' though.
I don’t race at all, and never have, but I love the feeling of breaking a Strava PR!

I do consider many of my rides “training” to get faster, but they’re still fun!
Likes For DirePenguin:
Old 08-19-22, 09:05 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 912 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by Random11
I don't want my cycling to turn from a pleasure into a chore.
Me, neither. For me, keeping it fun is key. Extending myself on occasion can be fun, too.
Old 08-23-22, 07:58 PM
Buddy94

Bikes: 2023 Trek Checkpoint ALR 5 , Firemans 4 BMX Cruiser

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm out there for the exercise/cardio as well and it lets me mentally unwind. I live in a very hill portion of Austin,TX where the hill country starts and there are some serious hills (for me) so I get interval training by default. More often than not I pick a ride that requires me to go tackle a good steep hill that really gets my heart going and then I'll ride around on smaller rolling hills the remainder of the time. I lost a lot of weight riding and eating better in 2011 and since it has all come back, riding and eating went backwards on me. Bought a new bike last month and I'm loving it. I use Cyclemeter and Strava and it is lots of fun trying to beat my last time on various segments or full rides.

Last edited by Buddy94; 08-23-22 at 08:02 PM.
Likes For Buddy94: