Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Bianchi retro fake or legit?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-22, 09:24 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1135 Post(s)
Liked 1,727 Times in 951 Posts
The Nishiki is a really nice bike, much finer than whatever the celeste thing is. Worth more as well imo without seeing the rest.
Old 08-05-22, 08:55 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. 66
The Nishiki is a really nice bike, much finer than whatever the celeste thing is. Worth more as well imo without seeing the rest.
Me, I'm just the opposite. A Celeste Bianchi made in Italy would be my choice over a Nishiki International. Nishiki has been highly modified, at least the piece of it I can see.

At the $100 price point, you usually don't find anything decent in the vintage road bike area, both of these look to be worth the price. Do they fit you? Have you ridden either?

I've owned a dozen Nishiki Internationals over the years, I've got one right now. So I am not a Nishiki hater.

Tip, the best deals on bikes either do not last long enough to get an answer to "hey is this one a good deal?" as there are knowledgeable buyers EVERYWHERE, every town, every state. Or its an obscure brand most people have never heard of. NIshiki and Bianchi are well known. Anything Italian gets a premium, and Celeste, another premium. That does not mean it rides "better". Its just the market puts a higher value on them. My best deal this year was on a Mikkelsen. Apparently, no one in Las Vegas had heard of that brand... It sat on FB marketplace for two months. 2000 miles away, so I couldn't get it until I was traveling through the area.

Bike obviously does need some work. That is true for most vintage bikes. WHO does that work determines in the end whether it was a good deal or not.

Last edited by wrk101; 08-09-22 at 07:32 AM.
Old 08-07-22, 02:51 AM
madpixel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The question is if the specific Bianchi is a real one!?
Old 08-07-22, 06:27 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2925 Post(s)
Liked 2,921 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by madpixel
thanx!
Originally Posted by curbtender

Assist
This looks like an early ‘80s lower end European model, judging by the light mounts on the fork and seat stays (they might be a lock). I think this might be one of the bikes Bianchi had contract built by Chordia or something like that. It looks like it needs a little TLC but for $100 and some elbow grease you’ll have a nice run about.

If you want a serious bike for training and group rides that Nishiki might be a better choice

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 08-07-22, 07:46 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4224 Post(s)
Liked 2,944 Times in 1,803 Posts
I doubt anyone would to go the expense/effort of taking a bike of that level and repainting/decalling it to make it a fake Bianchi, but I've been known to do some pretty economically unwise things in my day.
Likes For himespau:
Old 08-08-22, 11:05 AM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
Are you kidding? Of course it's a real Bianchi. It's a fully lugged frame w/pump pegs & cable stops welded into the frame. And, authentic graphics. I love the fenders. That bike would be absolutely fantastic upgraded to a pair of Velo Orange Tourist handle bars. Be good. Have fun.
Old 08-11-22, 03:11 PM
J_Chickles

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by madpixel
The question is if the specific Bianchi is a real one!?

Yes - nobody would clone a hundred dollar bike
Old 08-11-22, 08:41 PM
albrt 

Bikes: 1964(?) Frejus Tour de France, 1967(?) Dawes Double Blue, 1979 Trek 710, 1982 Claud Butler Dalesman, 1983 Schwinn Paramount Elite, 2014 Brompton, maybe a couple more

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 329 Posts
I'm not a Bianchi expert, but I've seen similar Bianchis come through the shop including the color and decals. In good riding condition I could sell that bike for $180 in Phoenix, but the new tires alone would cost $40 to $60. Whether it's worth $100 mainly depends on (A) how much you like it, and (B) whether you have to pay a bike shop to do a bunch of maintenance, or whether you can do it yourself.

The International is a good 1980-ish frame, but it looks like the setup has been pretty significantly altered and I can't evaluate from that photo.

Edit: I see it is Bianchi week and there are several Bianchis listed in this forum with similar color and decals. So I guess it would be easy to counterfeit, but I agree with previous posters that the frame is decent and making it into a fake Bianchi would not generate much extra value.

Last edited by albrt; 08-11-22 at 08:51 PM.