Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Tips and Tricks

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Tips and Tricks

Old 11-05-21, 04:07 PM
tombc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 28 Posts

Just replaced the red guy with the Skeletool, a bit driver and a bunch of Allen and T25 and screwdriver bits. Nice to have the blade and pliers for field repairs, and you can clip the thing to your basket or belt loop or whatever and have it out at camp and it's pretty useful. Got the little knife for camping too because it's real light and small and should be easier to wash for food stuff at the site.

Warning, currently untested stuff. I am a mechanic so I like to have a robust tool kit for fixing mine and my friends' stuff on the road. Also carry a patch kit, master link (should get a variety since they're so tiny), patch kit, tube, pump, 8 9 10 14 and 15 wrenches and chain tool. Need a little bit of tape and I think I can prevent most things that might end a ride. Is there a toolkit thread?
Likes For tombc:
Old 11-14-21, 11:51 PM
Rebecca01

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for sharing.
Old 11-17-21, 08:52 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 241 Posts
Those multi blade knives are useful, I was using mine a lot at home to open cans.
But multi bits are lame for allen keys IMO. Individual allen keys are indispensible. You need the L bend to get in tight spots, like under the seat. And besides that, those bits do NOT stay still. My most used wrench by far is the 3 arm 4/ 5/ 6 mm. This is great for really torquing quill stem bolts escpecially. On modern bikes, you don't often need else.
I never leave home without 10 tools in my pockets. My IGH bikes need them.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 11-17-21 at 09:10 PM.
Old 12-18-21, 12:35 PM
antmaster5000

Bikes: BMC TeamMachine, Surly Pacer, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 30 Posts
Copying my post from the tandem subforum-
https://www.bikeforums.net/tandem-cy...-couplers.html

Hey all- the SO and I have gotten into tandem riding over this last year (has been a godsend for us) and are looking to have Rodriguez built up with couplers for traveling. One thing that I can't quite figure out- is there a good way to do one way tours (e.g. Seattle -> Portland over a weekend), and break down the bike to bus/train back? I imagine that you would need some sort of soft case that folds/breaks down and is packable on the bike. I suppose you could also ship a standard bike case to your destination and pack your bike there, but that means extra money + hassle. Curious if others have encountered this situation
Old 11-15-23, 05:45 PM
Alan K

Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 258 Posts
Originally Posted by antmaster5000
Copying my post from the tandem subforum-
https://www.bikeforums.net/tandem-cy...-couplers.html

Hey all- the SO and I have gotten into tandem riding over this last year (has been a godsend for us) and are looking to have Rodriguez built up with couplers for traveling. One thing that I can't quite figure out- is there a good way to do one way tours (e.g. Seattle -> Portland over a weekend), and break down the bike to bus/train back? I imagine that you would need some sort of soft case that folds/breaks down and is packable on the bike. I suppose you could also ship a standard bike case to your destination and pack your bike there, but that means extra money + hassle. Curious if others have encountered this situation
Find a like-minded rider who wants to go in the opposite direction and coordinate the date/time of the trip with him her… just a theoretical possibility. 😉
Old 11-15-23, 06:05 PM
Alan K

Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 258 Posts
Very informative

I have been bicycling for the most part of my life but have never toured on bicycles.
I am now contemplating to start touring, starting with shorter trips to see how it goes.
This thread is a very useful reading material for me.
Thank you, everyone, for your contributions.
Likes For Alan K: