Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Gravel bike Fad or here to stay.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Gravel bike Fad or here to stay.

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-13, 10:51 PM
2 wheeler
Ancient Clydesdale

Bikes: Specialized Allez Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Looigi
Marketing departs are always coming up with new stuff to sell, segmenting, slicing and dicing the market every which way in order to create more products and more demand. That's their job. What else are they going to do?
Exactly.
Old 12-17-13, 11:34 PM
Bontrager

Bikes: Road, MTB, Folding, Commuting bikes...

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That place smelled like meat when we overnighted there in 1999

Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
Emporia Kansas.
Old 12-17-13, 11:56 PM
Ghost Ryder
Ghost Ryding 24/7

Bikes: Giant Defy with Dura Ace group, & Ksyrium SL's,Specialized Allez Shimano mixed/mashed,2011 Opus Sentiero,2008 Kona Jake the Snake,Custom built track/fixed,Stumpy Hartail,Kuwahara/ET bike.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
We called these MXers a few years back...
The term gravel grinder fits well too.
My Opus is my commuter/GG, I slap on 40-42's, & I'm good to go.
The disc fit nicely, when hydro prices drop, & the bugs are worked out, I'll make the change.
Maybe when Shimano comes out with there hydro offering this might bring prices down. I'm hoping smaller companies will offer budget friendly hydros out sooner too!
Old 12-18-13, 12:36 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by Myosmith
The term "gravel bike" may come and go, but people have been gravel grinding from before Orville and Wilbur had a bike shop. As long as there are unpaved roads and trails, there will be people who want bikes to ride on them. The original rigid MTBs more resembled gravel grinders than what is considered a MTB today. The 1980s - 90s hybrids were often outfitted with slightly beefier tires and were used on mixed surfaces. My 1993 Trek Multitrack was my go-to bike for general riding on a variety of road surfaces long before I heard the term "gravel grinder" and it is still my gravel bike today.

I think the versatility of CX and gravel bikes will lead to increasing usage, just as the rigid steel MTB became a mainstay commuter, fitness, utility bike. I can see gravel bikes becoming popular even with people who aren't your typical "gravel grinders" and just want a comfortable all-weather, all road condition bike.
Those mid eighties rigid all terrain bikes make wonderful off road / gravel bikes as they tick all the boxes... those slacker angles and longer wheelbases add a lot of stability on less than stellar roads.

Just built up a mid-eighties Raleigh Safari as a fixed gear and right now it is handling snow and slush and really bad roads with wanton abandon.

Frame and fork were $20.00 at the co-op and I added my own wheels, tyres, and bullmoose bars.

My custom built XC bike is worth a little bit more... it loves gravel.

Old 12-18-13, 06:51 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
It entirely depends on how you perceive your bike and it's place in your life. If you're the type that likes to get kitted up and believe in the term junk miles bikes like this are not for you. If you're the type of person that hops on the bike to do stuff, explore, maybe camp a bit then these are for you. This is just the return or actual usable road bikes not pro peloton wanna be bikes, if it was a motorcycle it'd be the UJM.
Old 12-18-13, 07:01 AM
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by buffalowings
I think it's silly, unless you already have a roadbike and a cyclocross, I would get those two before getting a gravel bike, which seems like a cross between both.
As I understand "gravel bikes" like the Warbird, they aren't between road and cyclocross bikes but more of an evolution with genetics from a touring bike and a 29r MTB with a little CX in the mix. Trading a bit of agility for stability and allowing for beefier tires than a CX bike.

As to which style of bike is "better", which you should get first or the ever popular "If I could only have one bike . . ." it all depends on your preferences and what kind of riding you like. If a comfortable, stable, tough bike that can perform well in a wide variety of weather and road conditions is what you are looking for, the gravel bikes look like the ticket. You can always tweek wheelsets, tires, gearing, etc. to get exactly what you want.

I live in a rural area where there are lots of unpaved roads through beautiful lakes, hills, woods and farmland. I like long afternoon rides on a variety of road surfaces and in pretty much any weather condition, so a gravel bike wouldn't be a silly choice for me.

Last edited by Myosmith; 12-18-13 at 07:05 AM.
Old 12-18-13, 08:08 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by gc3
I think you got everything right except this part...I seem to recall reading they have lower bottom bracket relative to a true CX design...so, materials aside, its basically true road geometry with capacity for much bigger tires...
You're right, I was looking at the bb drop numbers backwards.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 12-18-13, 08:14 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by buffalowings
I think it's silly, unless you already have a roadbike and a cyclocross, I would get those two before getting a gravel bike, which seems like a cross between both.
I'd argue for getting a gravel grinder before a true cyclocross bike. You can easily race cross on a gravel grinder such as the one in the first post. The only thing you'd give up would be a bit slower handling, and perhaps a little bit of weight, compared to a purpose built racing CX bike.

The other way around, the tire size limitation on most true cyclocross bikes makes them sub optimal for gravel racing.

I squeezed 40mm tires on my cross bike for DK, and it worked, but they barely fit, and there a couple of times I had to stop and clear out mud. And many of the people runnig 32mm tires on cross bikes suffered multiple flats.

So, unless you're very serious about cyclocross, I'd see the gravel grinder as the more flexible option.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 12-18-13, 10:16 AM
GuitarBob
Kit doesn't match

Bikes: 5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Germany_chris
... if it was a motorcycle it'd be the UJM.
Just yesterday, I referred to mine as the BMW GS of the bicycle world.
Old 12-18-13, 12:01 PM
halfspeed

Bikes: are better than yours.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
I'd argue for getting a gravel grinder before a true cyclocross bike. You can easily race cross on a gravel grinder such as the one in the first post. The only thing you'd give up would be a bit slower handling, and perhaps a little bit of weight, compared to a purpose built racing CX bike.

The other way around, the tire size limitation on most true cyclocross bikes makes them sub optimal for gravel racing.

I squeezed 40mm tires on my cross bike for DK, and it worked, but they barely fit, and there a couple of times I had to stop and clear out mud. And many of the people runnig 32mm tires on cross bikes suffered multiple flats.

So, unless you're very serious about cyclocross, I'd see the gravel grinder as the more flexible option.
The thing that can be hard to reconcile in gravel bike design is that climbing steep hills on loose surfaces is improved by shorter chainstays, but you need longer chainstays to fit a fatter rear tire. And on gravel, you will climb steep hills.
Old 12-18-13, 12:07 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
You need weight on the rear tire to climb hills with sketchy surfaces. One way to do that is to use a shorter chainstay, another is to slacken the STA another is to shorten the TT or lengthen the HT a bit so the rider sits further up thus placing more weigh on the a$$
Old 12-18-13, 12:20 PM
Bronze Potato

Bikes: Pretty fast ones

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Looigi
Marketing departs are always coming up with new stuff to sell, segmenting, slicing and dicing the market every which way in order to create more products and more demand. That's their job. What else are they going to do?
1+

Merican manufacturing = Must sell more

Mericans = I must buy more.

Rinse and repeat.
Old 12-18-13, 10:37 PM
BikeBellevue

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here's my new gravel grinder.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
New Rod 1.jpg (106.6 KB, 45 views)
Old 12-18-13, 10:43 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Wow the youngsters discovered farm roads !
Old 12-19-13, 05:04 PM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 184 Posts
Heck-yeah I'd take that Tomac if I could only have one bike!

I agree with the whole marketing thing... back in the day, the first "hybrids" as I remember them were basically road bikes with fatter tires, but have since morphed into something else.

Here in Wisconsin, we have a ton of "Rails-to-Trails" bike trails that are a mix of gravel and asphalt and we also have a considerable amount of roads in the north-woods that aren't paved. As such, having a fast bike with a slightly beefier tire is quite ideal.

I see way too many people riding mountain bikes as trail bikes in these parts... and until recently, I was one of them. I got tired of using my mountain bike as a "gravel bike", so I bought this Trek ION this Spring and love it! Granted, I have 3 other bikes, but the ION is light, fast, and a lot more comfortable on distance rides than my mountain bike, even though my mountain bike has shock fork (which is pretty worthless on roads and gravel trails).

2013 Trek ION by PoorInRichfield, on Flickr

So whatever they're being called these days... hybrid, CX bike, gravel bike, mutant road bike... I think they're a better fit for most cyclists in my area than what they're currently riding.
Old 12-20-13, 04:05 AM
Ice41000

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by thehammerdog
As older non racer type of rider I luv the new o everything fear nothing style of these bikes..disc brakes, cool looking, comfy. Would you consider one as your only bike?
check out this TOMAC
https://www.singletracklink.com/2013/...n-gravel-bike/
Just like every other fad, it comes, quckly grows, then slowly fades away, but never completely.
Old 12-20-13, 10:54 AM
UnfilteredDregs

Bikes: Salsa Ti Warbird- 2014/ November RAIL52s

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
As far as will these be around or not, a fad, etc..

I'm by no means any sort of expert...now, my riding needs were particular and it kind of strikes me that the term gravel-grinder, although initially accurate may be a misnomer. Quite a bit of all purpose sensibility inherent in the design intent, no?

I looked at a lot of roadbikes and they all seemed so..."specialized," light, not much room for more than skinny tires, and seemingly more at home on well groomed tarmac...

So, in my mind being a city denizen, and knowing that the road grooming hereabouts is shady and unpredictable at best, I knew I wanted something akin to a ruggedized roadbike. Something that you could handle aggressively, I don't want to worry about being delicate with my ride when I NEED to be concentrating on traffic- a safety crapshoot at best. I knew I'd be beating up on it; crap for streets, potholes, curb-hopping, jumping obstructions, etc.., and able to go the distance in terms of comfort and speed. I knew a wider tire would factor into this equation.

I kept finding myself coming back to bikes known as gravel grinders and I went with the Warbird. I've got plenty of tire clearance, smart cable routing, a stout Ti frame, yet fairly racy/agro riding... I'm kind of lucky in this city because there are a lot of parks with some decent trails as well so on a lark I can hit those on this bike and it's a helluva lot of fun...So, in essence I feel this type is quite well adapted to my multi-faceted urban riding scenario and all the while I can't wait to get across the George W bridge and shoot up 9W which seems to be the roadie thing to do here in NYC when the weather is right.

Maybe others have a similar set of circumstances...
Old 12-20-13, 12:04 PM
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by UnfilteredDregs
...the term gravel-grinder, although initially accurate may be a misnomer. Quite a bit of all purpose sensibility inherent in the design intent, no?
Sorta.

The design intention is to "ride fast on gravel." As with cross bikes, it turns out that those features lend themselves well to a versatile bicycle. If the designer is presented with a choice between "something good for Dirty Kanza" and "something to make the bike more versatile," they will pick the former.

I looked at a lot of roadbikes and they all seemed so..."specialized," light, not much room for more than skinny tires, and seemingly more at home on well groomed tarmac...
Yes, they're optimized for road use. However, put a pair of 28c or 25c tires on your gravel bike, and you should be fine to ride pretty much anywhere around the NYC area.

For example, I use my road bike with 25c's most of the time, including club rides (NYCC). My cross bike is set up less aggressively and with wider tires, so I use it for relaxed riding, routes with some dirt, touring, and centuries. I put over twice as many miles on my road bike than on my cross bike this year.
Old 12-20-13, 12:20 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by halfspeed
The thing that can be hard to reconcile in gravel bike design is that climbing steep hills on loose surfaces is improved by shorter chainstays, but you need longer chainstays to fit a fatter rear tire. And on gravel, you will climb steep hills.
Hmm, I'd expect a longer wheelbase to do a better job of keeping both wheels planted. For steep grades with loose rocks, you'd want to shift down and stay in the saddle (if possible) for best control anyway.

My gravel bike is a fixed-gear, and I usually stall out on climbs due to the 65" gear before rear-wheel traction becomes a problem.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 12-20-13, 01:55 PM
UnfilteredDregs

Bikes: Salsa Ti Warbird- 2014/ November RAIL52s

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bacciagalupe
Sorta.

The design intention is to "ride fast on gravel." As with cross bikes, it turns out that those features lend themselves well to a versatile bicycle. If the designer is presented with a choice between "something good for Dirty Kanza" and "something to make the bike more versatile," they will pick the former.

Yes, they're optimized for road use. However, put a pair of 28c or 25c tires on your gravel bike, and you should be fine to ride pretty much anywhere around the NYC area.

For example, I use my road bike with 25c's most of the time, including club rides (NYCC). My cross bike is set up less aggressively and with wider tires, so I use it for relaxed riding, routes with some dirt, touring, and centuries. I put over twice as many miles on my road bike than on my cross bike this year.
I'm running 28c on mine...smoove. How is NYCC? (Tangent alert!!!)
Old 12-21-13, 09:52 AM
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by UnfilteredDregs
I'm running 28c on mine...smoove. How is NYCC? (Tangent alert!!!)
I like the NYCC. The rides are a little more organized than most clubs; e.g. most have limits on the number of riders, pace busting is discouraged, most rides make an effort to keep the group together. Lots of good routes, and fun things like an annual trip to the Berkshires.