Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Need Help Choosing my First Road Bike!

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-13, 06:32 PM
Milez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am relatively new to cycling and am looking to purchase my first road bike, coming from MTB. My Budget is around $1000, Hoping to look for something under $1400. This is what I have found so far.

Trek 1.1 C 2014 ($750)
2014 Kestrel Talon Road Shimano 105 Carbon Fiber Bike ($1400)
Specialized Allez Sport 2014 ($930)

BTW, is the kestrel talon a road bike or a tri bike? I think its geared toward Tri bikes... ??

Post links to other entry level road bikes that you believe will be better than those three.
Old 12-19-13, 06:38 PM
Milez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So far im digging the kestrel talon. Im mainly using for road riding not tri, but it still looks cooooooll, lol. What do you guys think?
Old 12-19-13, 06:43 PM
lesscan

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix 3.0 - Fuji Finest 1.1 - Scattante CX350 - Schwinn POS MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Milez
I am relatively new to cycling and am looking to purchase my first road bike, coming from MTB. My Budget is around $1000, Hoping to look for something under $1400. This is what I have found so far.

BTW, is the kestrel talon a road bike or a tri bike? I think its geared toward Tri bikes... ??

Post links to other entry level road bikes that you believe will be better than those three.

#1, the Kestrel IS more of a Tri bike. Very entry level.
#2 DO NOT buy a bike from Amazon
#3 if you have $1K to spend, then go to your local bike shop or an area Performance Bicycle and tell them that.
They will be quite happy to fit you into a bike.
#4 Dont judge a bike on looks alone. The details are in the components.

PB is having GREAT sales right now on road bikes.
My wife and I both got Fujis. Retail was almost $3k for the 2 and we got them both for $1500.
NOW is the time to buy!
Old 12-19-13, 06:48 PM
Bontrager

Bikes: Road, MTB, Folding, Commuting bikes...

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If I were you I'd consider a used aluminum bike off CL. If you love riding you're going to buy another bike anyway.

Remember your overall budget will have to include things like a helmet, jersey, bibs or shorts, glasses, socks, shoes + clipless pedals, spare tube, patch kit, Co2 or manual pump, etc...

The Kestrel doesn't have a full 105 group. There's a few bits and pieces - probably enough to fool you into thinking it's all 105.

You also need to consider where you live/hills. You might want a triple over a compact double or the other way around. Or a regular crankset.
Old 12-19-13, 06:52 PM
lesscan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bontrager
If I were you I'd consider a used aluminum bike off CL. If you love riding you're going to buy another bike anyway.
The only caveat I would add to that is take it to a LBS before you buy it.
Make sure it fits or can be fitted and make sure its not a POS.

Road bikes are not like MTBs. You will need a proper fit especially if you plan long rides.
At just 5 miles I could tell my Fuji didnt fit properly and had to have it adjusted.
CL cant do that for you.
Old 12-19-13, 06:55 PM
Milez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for replying guys, but I already have equipment, helmet, jersey, shorts, clipless pedals/shoes, etc. Im just looking for a bike now. Ill go to performance bicycle and see what they have, but for now, ill keep checking for opinions here. Thanks guys
Old 12-19-13, 07:09 PM
lesscan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for replying guys, but I already have equipment, helmet, jersey, shorts, clipless pedals/shoes, etc. Im just looking for a bike now. Ill go to performance bicycle and see what they have, but for now, ill keep checking for opinions here. Thanks guys
Definitely!

There is no better decision than an informed decision

Here are a couple that might interest you.....

https://www.performancebike.com/bikes...400784__400784

They also have Cyclocross bikes which might interest you as a MTBer.
They also carry their own brand Scattante which seem to be pretty good as well.

As I said, Its all about the components and not so much the look or even the frame.
Old 12-19-13, 07:15 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Performance has a GT with Ultegra shifting for $850 or so but only in the stores.
Old 12-19-13, 07:23 PM
gus6464

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by lesscan
#1, the Kestrel IS more of a Tri bike. Very entry level.
#2 DO NOT buy a bike from Amazon
#3 if you have $1K to spend, then go to your local bike shop or an area Performance Bicycle and tell them that.
They will be quite happy to fit you into a bike.
#4 Dont judge a bike on looks alone. The details are in the components.

PB is having GREAT sales right now on road bikes.
My wife and I both got Fujis. Retail was almost $3k for the 2 and we got them both for $1500.
NOW is the time to buy!
Nothing about the Talon geometry says more of a Tri bike. Everything from stack and reach is very much like a road bike. The only thing that can somewhat make it intro a tri bike is when you put it in forward seatpost mode which you don't have to. The Talons are road bike first, tri bike second.

Performance does have good deals right now on Fuji though so you should check there OP.
Old 12-19-13, 07:28 PM
Milez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good to know, I think i might just go with the Talon, Bikesdirect is selling it for 1399 and free shipping. I just can't get my mind of it. I know that components, cranks, etc. should also be considered, but for 1400 bucks for a full carbon fiber bike made by kestrel, what can go wrong? haha. I'll still have to save up some more before I can buy it thought, so I will have a good 2-3 months of thinking it through. Thanks for all the replys
Old 12-19-13, 07:47 PM
lesscan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gus6464
Nothing about the Talon geometry says more of a Tri bike.
But that Talon is an entry level Tri frame with a road handle bar set.

Compare these 2....

https://www.amazon.com/Kestrel-Talon-...-2147483553-20

https://www.performancebike.com/bikes...400785__400785

Very similar in frame but different in bars and components.
With the Amazon Kestrel, you start there and piecemeal your way up to the PB Kestrel

Good to know, I think i might just go with the Talon, Bikesdirect is selling it for 1399 and free shipping. I just can't get my mind of it. I know that components, cranks, etc. should also be considered, but for 1400 bucks for a full carbon fiber bike made by kestrel, what can go wrong? haha. I'll still have to save up some more before I can buy it thought, so I will have a good 2-3 months of thinking it through. Thanks for all the replys
Beware of BD. Bikes might be OK but again but the components usually arent and you cant size it on the internet and if you get the wrong size and your LBS cant adjust it, youre screwed.

Also..... PB has 12 months no interest financing. So $1400 at BD today, wont cost you $1400 at PB today.
Old 12-19-13, 09:27 PM
side_FX

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Get to a local shop and get fit to a proper bike, what good is a good price on a bike that doesn't fit right?
Old 12-19-13, 09:35 PM
lesscan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by side_FX
Get to a local shop and get fit to a proper bike, what good is a good price on a bike that doesn't fit right?

This forum needs a LIKE button!
Old 12-19-13, 09:36 PM
zymphad

Bikes: Super Cheap gc3 approved Bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 30 Posts
@Milez, hey! I'm new to road biking and just bought my first road bike a month ago. This is what I did.

I bought a 2012 Masi Partenza for $340. I upgraded everything to Shimano 105, crank, brakes, shifters, derailleurs. And upgraded my wheels to R501. Upgraded to Pro Vibes Compact handlebar and FSA SLK stem. The upgrade cost me $400, crank I got for a gift. I sold the old parts for $250. Total cost for a 2012 bike that previously had less than 50 miles on it, $590 for an light aluminum hydroformed compact frame, carbon fork and full 105 set.

As for bike fit, you don't need to go to a bike shop and pay them for something you can do yourself. There are plenty of guides and calculators online to give you a range of what you need. I've discovered that with most bikes you buy, you'll probably replace the stem and handlebar anyway. Getting a bike within range you need, you can adjust your reach and width with handlebar and stem. As for seat, that can be easily adjusted yourself again. Bike fitting is not rocket science unless you're Lance Armstrong.

Best advice I've read before buying a bike is not to take bike fitting theories as gospel, go with what is comfortable. Another thing I learned, from shop to shop, they have different theories on bike fitting. So it's all pretty much nonsense IMO, just go with what is the range and then you can adjust the bike yourself accordingly to what you find is comfortable.
- Countless guides and videos online to help you fit your bike.
- The only person I know who got a bike fitted is now enormously fat. So much good bike fitting did him, he doesn't bike anymore (spent 3 hours and few hundred dollars on his fitting). And at all the bike shops around me, all 5, the shop owners and techs are enormous as well... That is an observation, not that much to do with bike fitting, but just seems these bike fitting experts around me, their bike fitting isn't do much for their waistline.
- Go with what is comfortable and a bike that makes you happy to own, rather than be fat whale with a perfectly fitted bike you may not be that happy with. Get a bike that motivates you to ride!

Last edited by zymphad; 12-19-13 at 09:58 PM.
Old 12-19-13, 09:57 PM
lesscan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zymphad
As for bike fit, you don't need to go to a bike shop and pay them for something you can do yourself. Bike fitting is not rocket science unless you're Lance Armstrong.
Proper bike fit is EXTREMELY important, especially on long road rides and PB will fit your bike for you for free.
Old 12-19-13, 10:01 PM
zymphad

Bikes: Super Cheap gc3 approved Bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 30 Posts
Proper bike fit is EXTREMELY important, especially on long road rides and PB will fit your bike for you for free.
None of them around here do it for free. Bike fitting is costly. If you can find the bike you want from a shop that will do it for free, sounds awesome to me.

But IMO for OP, if he can find a bike that he likes within his budget, then he should go for it. Just get the bike within range of what he needs, plenty of calculators and guides and all he needs is a friend to help him measure his inseam, height, torso, shoulder width etc. And then just figure out what he needs to be in a comfortable position and adjust accordingly with aftermarket parts for cheap.

As a new rider I discovered a bike fit doesn't tell you that much until you've ridden for 20+ miles. Riding your bike for long distance up hills and down hills is what told me what I needed to get to be comfortable. Not sitting on a bike in a pro shop. That's my experience at least.

Last edited by zymphad; 12-19-13 at 10:05 PM.
Old 12-19-13, 10:27 PM
lesscan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zymphad
As a new rider I discovered a bike fit doesn't tell you that much until you've ridden for 20+ miles. Riding your bike for long distance up hills and down hills is what told me what I needed to get to be comfortable. Not sitting on a bike in a pro shop. That's my experience at least.
I absolutely agree! What I meant was, if he buys his bike from PB, they have free fittings. If he buys from CL or somewhere online? No, they probably wont do it for free, but the professional fitting is only $60.
Thats why I said what I said. I didnt discover I needed a fitting until I got 5 miles out. And I discovered in a very painful way.
I suppose you can do it yourself, but I would prefer they do it for me. They did, which showed my original bike was too big. I had to go one size lower or buy new parts. So I went one size lower, kept the parts and now my bike fits great.

TO ME, its worth buying in store.... if you can... and getting the service and relationship that youre not gonna get online.
And Im not pushing PB. They were just my experience. Im sure that Trek or any LBS will do the same.
Old 12-19-13, 10:30 PM
Milez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike fit is the least of my worries, this isnt my first bike. The last bike a bought at my LBS (6 months ago), they only did a basic fit that took only 5 min. I agree that it isnt rocket science and I have ridden 3+ hours multiple times with only a basic fit. The only thing that was uncomfortable was my palms going numb, which can be fixed by wearing a cycling glove. (this was on my MTB) Plus, all the measurements i need are posted on the Kestrel website for the talon, which so far a 52 cm should be right. The only time you need to spend hundreds on a complex fit is if youre in the TDF or something. And all the road bikes in my budget from my lbs dont even interest me. im not gonna buy a $1000 bike that i dont like just for a dumb fit i can do myself. (Thats the mistake i made with my MTB, not the worst but not the one I REALLY wanted) And components wise, i can always upgrade. Anyways, thanks to everyone for taking the time to give your thoughts.
Old 12-19-13, 10:39 PM
mLuMaN83
Enjoying Every Mile

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Tarmac Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please get your bike from a LBS. I rode 5 bikes in the $1,000 range and ended up with the 2013 Allez Sport. Get fit! If you don't, you run a high probability that you will waste your money. I'm 5'9 and got fit on a 52 frame. Most would say I should be on a 54 but I am comfortable and the guys at the LBS said everything looked good on the 52. Ride bikes, get fit, choose, purchase, enjoy. Plus you will most likely get free lifetime adjustments and service when you purchase from your LBS. Another win.

But it seems you have made up your mind on buying a bike online and everyone here is telling you otherwise so hey...
Old 12-19-13, 10:46 PM
Milez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
how did they fit you? Last time i got a fit, the dude just adjusted seat hight and slapped a degree measure on my knee and said it fit..... It might just be bad service in that shop, might try a different one. But the main problem is my lbs dont carry bikes i like.. i looked at 5 around my area. haha. but i feel confident in measuring myself and following the specs on the kestrel site. btw, if i do buy online, im going to take it to a shope and get it tuned and ask if they can fit me, if i end up with the wrong size (which i doubt) ill go jump of a cliff, lol.
Old 12-19-13, 10:54 PM
mLuMaN83
Enjoying Every Mile

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Tarmac Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe look to travel a bit? It's a big purchase and on long rides, you will know. I originally bought a 54 and went on an 8 mile ride and my knees and upper back started to hurt. Went back and traded to a 52 and all is well now. They adjusted seat height, looked at my arm reach, back angle, and asked me how "I" felt on it. I think you just have a much bigger benefit buying from a shop then online. I would look maybe even within an hour drive from you. Worst case scenario, once you buy a bike, you have some issues and just make a trip out there to have them solved. Those online guided are just that, guides. Everyone has a different spine length, arm reach, etc.

I also established a bit of a relationship with the guys at my shop. One of them years back helped install a router for my parents and the other guy races Motocross and I used to race as well. I feel I got a bit more attention but they are still fantastic with everybody that walks in. They really love cycling and want to help any way they can.

Last edited by mLuMaN83; 12-19-13 at 10:58 PM.
Old 12-19-13, 11:23 PM
lesscan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am 5'10" and was also told to get a 54 but I fit better on a 52. And fitting is much more than adjusting the seat. Thats only step one.
Plus being fit for a MTB is not the same as being fit for a road bike. Its a totally different body position and youre not gonna ride a MTB more than 40 miles at a time.
Road bikes are for upwards of 100+ miles. You cannot imagine the pain you will feel on an ill fitting bike.
Trust me. I wouldnt say it if I thought you could do without.

The guys as PB checked my seat, my reach, my hand position, my eye position, the angle of my arms, knees and back. They broke out the tape measure and the level for the angles.
They went all out to make sure the bike was the right fit. They even let me ride for 30 min on the trainer to make sure I was comfortable. Its because of all that, that we went with a 52 and just like mLuMaN, all is well with the 52.
Not every 54 is the same from bike to bike.

I mean, do what you want. Its your bike, your body. But you did ask opinions. And from someone who does 100 mile rides, its is my opinion you need a proper fit.

Last edited by lesscan; 12-19-13 at 11:27 PM.
Old 12-20-13, 12:05 AM
catonec 

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
$1000 huh?

this kicks ass for 1200.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-2013-Lit...item2a35715dab

I am a big fan of Kestrel, love my 9. they made the talon in both flavors, road or tri. but how about this for $1300.
https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/..._road_xiii.htm

this moto for 1100 is decent also.
https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...sprint_xiv.htm
Old 12-20-13, 12:10 AM
gus6464

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 67 Posts
But that Talon is an entry level Tri frame with a road handle bar set.

Compare these 2....

https://www.amazon.com/Kestrel-Talon-...-2147483553-20

https://www.performancebike.com/bikes...400785__400785

Very similar in frame but different in bars and components.
With the Amazon Kestrel, you start there and piecemeal your way up to the PB Kestrel
Did you even look at the geometries of both frames? They are not similar. The Talon is not an entry level Tri frame, it has always been a road bike that can put you in a somewhat Tri setup just like the Cervelo S2. So I guess you also consider the Cervelo S2 an entry level Tri frame with road handlebars?
Old 12-20-13, 07:28 AM
lesscan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gus6464
Did you even look at the geometries of both frames? They are not similar. The Talon is not an entry level Tri frame, it has always been a road bike that can put you in a somewhat Tri setup just like the Cervelo S2. So I guess you also consider the Cervelo S2 an entry level Tri frame with road handlebars?

LOL! Whatever dude! I guess you just need to be right.
I said the Talon he posted was an entry level Tri frame. Not talon in general.
But it doesnt even matter. This side discussion is not necessary here.
Lets not hijack his thread with our disagreement.
You have your opinion and I'll have mine and lets leave it at that. OK?

Last edited by lesscan; 12-20-13 at 07:33 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.