Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What's in your collection?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What's in your collection?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-21, 10:16 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
I think I have a Bianchi from every country they made them in... except Italy.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 10-01-21, 12:12 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,377 Times in 3,667 Posts
Originally Posted by johnnyace
Speaking of Bob Freeman and common/uncommon Italian bikes, have you seen the restored 1959 Cinelli Model B he has listed on ebay? Cinelli may be a common Italian marque, but I'd say that bike is pretty uncommon!

And its a Model B, lower but somewhat rarer in fine form as this one is.

Bob's work is second to none, saving the bike world one restoration at a time.
Likes For merziac:
Old 10-01-21, 03:17 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
My collection is at the left, and it's nothing Earth-shattering, but I like being able to say I have a handmade French, handmade English, and a handmade American among them, as well as a high-end Japanese and an early Taiwanese MTB with classic geometry. Not that anyone would stick around long enough for me to finish describing them that way...
Likes For noobinsf:
Old 10-01-21, 03:26 PM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
Prior to winter of 2018/2019 I had only ever come across one Italian bike in my area - a badly wrecked Atala Grand Prix. I bought it for $20 and sold the Campy cable guide for as much. The second was a NIB '89 Puch Mistral Leader (made in Italy by Bianchi). Was a tad small for me and has a rather slack headtube, but I couldn't pass it up. I've since hung it in favor of a better fitting bike with more preferable geometry. The third Italian bike was a surprise gift from my wife. I like the bike - A LOT! So much that I probably won't seek out another vintage Italian bike. But, we all know how opportunity can strike...
Likes For BFisher:
Old 10-01-21, 03:49 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by johnnyace
Speaking of Bob Freeman and common/uncommon Italian bikes, have you seen the restored 1959 Cinelli Model B he has listed on ebay? Cinelli may be a common Italian marque, but I'd say that bike is pretty uncommon!
I hadn't seen it on eBay, but I followed his progress with it on his Flickr feed with great interest.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/837910...7714003460682/

I believe that bike came from the "barn find" lot he told people about on the CR list last year. I got my Masi from the same sale.
Old 10-02-21, 02:17 AM
Gary Fountain

Bikes: Colnago (82, 85, 89, 90, 91, 96, 03), 85 Cinelli, 90 Rossin, 83 Alan, 82 Bianchi, 78 Fountain, 2 x Pinarello, Malvern Star (37), Hillman (70's), 80's Beretto Lo-Pro Track, 80's Kenevans Lo-Pro, Columbus Max (95), DeGrandi (80's) Track.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 124 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
one brand afflicted with a flexy bottom bracket?
inquiring minds will want to know!

limited exposure to Australian builders in California, there were a few Americans that went to ride/ train/ race on the track in the mid 70’s and a few of them brought back track frames. They looked beefy, we’re stated to be quite stiff, no brand names, and definitely beautiful filed lugs were not part of the program, they were race tools. Would have to hold a seance now to get info, but there were local builders there supporting the racers.
Hi repechage, I found a couple of Gios frames with overly flexy bottom brackets. One was particularly noticeable being a 50th anniversary frame. I suppose a couple of frames shouldn't be seen as a representative sample of the Gios marque. The couple I tried were probably the exception and not the rule. I's dtill like one of those beautiful blue Gios frames.

I think your description of "race tools" as a very apt description.
Old 10-02-21, 02:50 AM
Gary Fountain

Bikes: Colnago (82, 85, 89, 90, 91, 96, 03), 85 Cinelli, 90 Rossin, 83 Alan, 82 Bianchi, 78 Fountain, 2 x Pinarello, Malvern Star (37), Hillman (70's), 80's Beretto Lo-Pro Track, 80's Kenevans Lo-Pro, Columbus Max (95), DeGrandi (80's) Track.

Originally Posted by Andy_K
I have a Gitane like this -- 72 degree frame angles. Honestly, I'm not even sure how to set up a bike like that. Normally, I position saddle, pedals, and handlebars in the same relative position, but this Gitane doesn't lend itself to that strategy and I feel like I wouldn't be riding it the way it was designed. Right now, I've got it set up with a much shorter reach than I would normally use and a more upright position (and my normal position is fairly upright). I'm not sure that's right, but it's the best reading of the geometry I could come up with.
You can only do your best in this situation as you have done. Perhaps you will need to 'play around' with the set-up to find an acceptable feel for yourself. A lot of older frames had a 72 degree seat tube angle and often the head tube angle was the same. I think this position, along with other frame settings like rake, etc., provided a more relaxed set-up. It may have been a bit more comfortable but that, of course, is dependant of rider feel. If you are used to a more upright position you probably should stick to that personal feel.
Old 10-02-21, 06:25 AM
botty kayer

Bikes: Yes, probably too many but still have a roving eye...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 2,799 Times in 532 Posts
I've got 5 Italian bikes, but none on Noah's arc, so guess I'm not basic

Tommasini

Bottecchia

Simoncini

Nikor

Denti
Old 10-02-21, 10:23 AM
Choke 
Disciple of St. Tullio

Bikes: Ciöcc, Bianchi, DeRosa, Eddy Merckx, Frejus, Hampsten, Kondor, Losa, Magni, Pegoretti, Pelizzoli, Pogliaghi, Scapin

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 140 Posts
I'm definitely lean towards more esoteric marques, though I do have a Bianchi and a DeRosa. Italians are my preference for sure.

I'm a huge fan of Vanni Losa's work......

And then there's the Kondor....a German brand that was made in Italy, likely by Romani.

Likes For Choke:
Old 10-02-21, 12:35 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,828 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary Fountain
Hi repechage, I found a couple of Gios frames with overly flexy bottom brackets. One was particularly noticeable being a 50th anniversary frame. I suppose a couple of frames shouldn't be seen as a representative sample of the Gios marque. The couple I tried were probably the exception and not the rule. I's dtill like one of those beautiful blue Gios frames.

I think your description of "race tools" as a very apt description.
Thanks, Things happen during manufacture.
Way back there was a Carlsbad Masi that just would not sell, maybe the color? Medium Blue Metallic vs the light blue met.
It just felt "dead", I rode a Masi at the time. No great explanation of the reason why, but it was not like the others.
Cooked tubes?
Old 10-02-21, 10:45 PM
Gary Fountain

Originally Posted by repechage
Thanks, Things happen during manufacture.
Way back there was a Carlsbad Masi that just would not sell, maybe the color? Medium Blue Metallic vs the light blue met.
It just felt "dead", I rode a Masi at the time. No great explanation of the reason why, but it was not like the others.
Cooked tubes?
I think you might be right - perhaps tubes that were heated too much may destroy/change the grain structure of the steel. There's nothing worse than riding a 'dead' frame is there?
Old 10-03-21, 06:03 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 488 Posts
Mostly 90s mountain bikes. A friend says I have bikes no one else wants to ride; thought it was funny but kinda true. Nobody rides 26ers in NYC

Likes For DorkDisk:
Old 10-03-21, 06:27 AM
Flatforkcrown

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 159 Posts
Originally Posted by DorkDisk
Mostly 90s mountain bikes. A friend says I have bikes no one else wants to ride; thought it was funny but kinda true. Nobody rides 26ers in NYC

wait, who wouldn’t want to ride that? That bike is awesome.
Old 10-03-21, 07:03 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 488 Posts
Originally Posted by Flatforkcrown
wait, who wouldn’t want to ride that? That bike is awesome.
Thanks; NYC is very fashion conscious, flat, and young so things like track bikes are more popular. Generally, NYC is very 700c
Old 10-03-21, 07:38 AM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
My stable has evolved a great deal over the years. I’ve likely sold off quite a few that might be grail bikes for others, but it really comes down to what I want to ride and how those riders perform for me. That said, what I ride the most are not vintage bikes, but contemporary builds. Sure, nice to have the old stuff around for things like Cino or Eroica or monthly rides with my old Brit bike group or my short commute, but the extended miles are not on those bikes.
Same here.

I'm in the process of listing three bikes this month and they are all vintage.

Beautiful bikes for sure, but I need the $$$$ for my fly rod building hobby. I have eleven orders from friends and I need some cash flow.

I find that I am usually on my Black Mountain Cycles "Monstercross" or my Fairlight Faran. I'm finding that utility bikes that are gravel ready are perfect for me nowadays.

A couple references here.

https://bikepacking.com/bikes/fairli...an-2-0-review/
https://g-tedproductions.blogspot.co...-mountain.html
Likes For gomango:
Old 10-03-21, 07:47 AM
ColoradoVRs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 5 Posts
Nice, especially the ones with Nervex Professional lugs. As soon as I can get to 10 posts I can show you my Eisentraut custom...
Old 10-03-21, 08:58 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3808 Post(s)
Liked 6,681 Times in 2,609 Posts
Originally Posted by gomango
Same here.

I'm in the process of listing three bikes this month and they are all vintage.

Beautiful bikes for sure, but I need the $$$$ for my fly rod building hobby. I have eleven orders from friends and I need some cash flow.

I find that I am usually on my Black Mountain Cycles "Monstercross" or my Fairlight Faran. I'm finding that utility bikes that are gravel ready are perfect for me nowadays.

A couple references here.

https://bikepacking.com/bikes/fairli...an-2-0-review/
https://g-tedproductions.blogspot.co...-mountain.html
Nice! That Faran looks great. How do you have yours set up? I’d be very tempted but put a deposit down on a Singular Pelegrine some months back.
Likes For nlerner:
Old 10-03-21, 11:07 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26402 Post(s)
Liked 10,374 Times in 7,203 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K

That's kind of where I am now with my bikes. It's not something that serious collectors would marvel at, but I have enough of a well-rounded set that I've managed to stop bringing home every interesting stray that pops up on Craigslist. Now, I can finally see a nice bike for sale and appreciate it without feeling like I have to buy it if it's my size. Instead I think "Which bike would I get rid of to make space for that?" And that eliminates most candidates. Nevermind that I've got an entry-level Nishiki that I built for a Clunker Challenge a couple of years ago and a Performance Bike Superbe still sitting around. I think of them as placeholders that I can pass on if anything really special comes along (like the next Supercorsa that comes my way).

And that's kind of where my mind was headed with this thread. With a couple of particular exceptions, there's not a mainstream brand that I would buy just because I found it at a good price. At least, that's what I'm telling myself. But something obscure and cool, I'm not making any promises.
...yeah, this is a good description of my current status. I really thought I was done, except for maybe repainting a couple of the ones in the back of the Garage. Then this '76 Rossin Montreal shows up at the co-op, in my size, on the sales rack for like a $120. So now I'm trying to get all the painting on it done before the weather changes here. I just put on the last coat of urethane yesterday, but will probably need to respray the chainstays, because the decals were from Eastern Europe somewhere (Croatia, maybe ?), and he only sent me one. I need two for this frame.

Helps to pass the time when the air is too smoky to ride.

Old 10-03-21, 04:42 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,831 Times in 2,229 Posts
All my 1st owner new bicycles (CoMotion, Calfee, Tallerico, Macalu p/bExcelSports) are ‘unknown’ builders.

But when the riding of ‘quality older bikes’ latest decision was made over four Campy11 spd upgrades, I only had a friction shifting Centurion tourer and Peugeot PH10 entry sport/racing model as vintage examples.

And I knew there was better!
Schwinn, Trek, Raleigh, Bianchi (made in Japan) and others owned in the honing & personal molding.
The latest iteration of vintage keepers was assembled to be great riders internationally inclined. Not afraid to make gearing changes for old legs&lungs. Nearly all drop bar roadies, that’s what I ride with some light gravel. DeRosa, Merckx had reputations to be evaluated. 531SL frameset to be ridden. Metric tubesets are different. Discovered ‘fast touring’ Austrian. Zeus sounded….strong & powerful. Etc. Etc.

they make me smile when I ride them.
they make me smile when I wrench them.
they make me smile when in the bike area with music

Two relatively new additions are little known. Rickert & Romic

I need to finish the Rickert, my only German bike. And a full on tourer from Hugo.

Romic was made in Houston but Ray was Polish to the bone, so Polish I will call it.

Most of the others you’ve seen too much.

Last edited by Wildwood; 10-03-21 at 07:26 PM.
Likes For Wildwood:
Old 10-03-21, 09:14 PM
jjhabbs 

Bikes: to many to list

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 262 Posts
Way to much to list. Check out my channel on Youtube. John's vintage road bike garage. Here's a few to wet your whistle.

Thanks JJ

Old 10-03-21, 10:00 PM
Oldairhead 
RUSA #3100

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 505 Times in 181 Posts
My collection is not quantified, as the "n" is constantly variable. Perhaps only half a dozen of them would rate as significant but have only been viewed in person by outsiders on rare occasion. Here is a short list:

1947 P.T. Stallard (project)
1958 Motobecane Randonneur, lovely patina
1973 Schwinn Paramount, near perfect
1974 Hetchins Italia (NOS)
1984 Lino Messori, painted by Joe Bell
2001 Pegoretti Palo Santo, ridden hard and loved
2008 Colnago Mast X-light, Saronni Red
Old 10-03-21, 10:14 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,828 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
All my 1st owner new bicycles (CoMotion, Calfee, Tallerico, Macalu p/bExcelSports) are ‘unknown’ builders.

But when the riding of ‘quality older bikes’ latest decision was made over four Campy11 spd upgrades, I only had a friction shifting Centurion tourer and Peugeot PH10 entry sport/racing model as vintage examples.

And I knew there was better!
Schwinn, Trek, Raleigh, Bianchi (made in Japan) and others owned in the honing & personal molding.
The latest iteration of vintage keepers was assembled to be great riders internationally inclined. Not afraid to make gearing changes for old legs&lungs. Nearly all drop bar roadies, that’s what I ride with some light gravel. DeRosa, Merckx had reputations to be evaluated. 531SL frameset to be ridden. Metric tubesets are different. Discovered ‘fast touring’ Austrian. Zeus sounded….strong & powerful. Etc. Etc.

they make me smile when I ride them.
they make me smile when I wrench them.
they make me smile when in the bike area with music

Two relatively new additions are little known. Rickert & Romic

I need to finish the Rickert, my only German bike. And a full on tourer from Hugo.

Romic was made in Houston but Ray was Polish to the bone, so Polish I will call it.

Most of the others you’ve seen too much.
interesting thought.
I have only two frames built for me specifically.
Only a handful that I am the original owner beyond that.
there will be more, just have to turn some more sets of tubes into something.

at this point two will be based on what I have just a better length top tube- gravity has struck back.
Likes For repechage:
Old 10-04-21, 06:14 AM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
Nice! That Faran looks great. How do you have yours set up? I’d be very tempted but put a deposit down on a Singular Pelegrine some months back.

It rides great and is a great bike packing rig.

So nice that I am selling my Bilenky tourer, which is a very nice bike in its own right.

I went with the Shimano GRX 800 2x build and had them do the full lighting option as well with a SON dyno and Edelux II lights.

My wife has that lighting system on her MAP and it's bulletproof.
Likes For gomango:
Old 10-04-21, 06:45 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
What's in my bicycle collection? Far, far, too much!
Old 10-04-21, 06:57 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Not counting project bikes that tend to sprout like weeds in my garage, I have the following bikes built and ready to ride: 1 Italian bike (1960 Olmo Gran Sport), 1 British bike (a 1969 Robin Hood), 2 Japanese bikes (1970s Fuji Finest, 1970s Sekine SHS 271), 2 French bicycles (a 1973 Motobecane Grand Record and a 1982 Peugeot PXN 10), and 4 American bicycles (a 1973 Schwinn Sports Tourer, a 1979 Trek 510, a 1982 Trek 720, and a Melton custom build sports touring bike). My next two projects bikes are a 1950s Claud Butler Jubilee and a 1970s Mercer 300.

Likes For bikemig:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.