Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

40 mile rides... Where do you discover new rides?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

40 mile rides... Where do you discover new rides?

Old 12-02-21, 07:00 AM
late

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12171 Post(s)
Liked 1,481 Times in 1,094 Posts
You can also do it old school:

https://www.amazon.com/Southern-Cent...84104196&psc=1
Old 12-02-21, 07:29 AM
Rideeasy
Oldie

Bikes: 2004 Fuji Team SL road bike; 2015 Trek DS 8.2 hybrid; 90’s Trek 830 Antelope

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I use MapMyRide to find local routes.
Old 12-02-21, 11:27 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,849 Times in 4,396 Posts
Originally Posted by Bmach
Join a local cycling club. The club I joined rides a different route every Saturday and Sunday. Rides start from different places, flat, hilly and in between.
Some clubs don't allow e-bikes.
Old 12-02-21, 11:31 AM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 491 Times in 325 Posts
There are lots of free topo trail maps specific to a local area on line that download directly into Garmin's. Possibly other brands too, I never checked that since all I use is Garmin. They're good for finding MTB trails and hiking trails, not so much for road bikes unless you want to plan a highway route. I checked out that trailink and the nearest to my location aside from highways was almost 70 miles distant. I'd be worn out by the time I got there, much less ride it.
Old 12-03-21, 03:21 AM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 723 Times in 381 Posts
Lots to see in California, though urbanization has overgrown some of the areas I used to ride through. What used to be dairies and farmland are now housing subdivisions, but at least it's easy to find a fast food restaurant for lunch. Nowadays I prefer the central Arizona area, around Flagstaff and going south, toward Sedona and Cottonwood. There are lots of paved or dirt options, just be careful not to be run over by hippies, mystics, or dentists in leather on new Harleys. I like to stay at L'Auberge de Sedona they are bike-friendly, the location is good, and it is nice to enjoy dinner and a beer at the outdoor restaurant next to the river after a day of riding.
Old 12-03-21, 05:58 AM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked 774 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling
Lots to see in California, though urbanization has overgrown some of the areas I used to ride through. What used to be dairies and farmland are now housing subdivisions, but at least it's easy to find a fast food restaurant for lunch. Nowadays I prefer the central Arizona area, around Flagstaff and going south, toward Sedona and Cottonwood. There are lots of paved or dirt options, just be careful not to be run over by hippies, mystics, or dentists in leather on new Harleys. I like to stay at L'Auberge de Sedona they are bike-friendly, the location is good, and it is nice to enjoy dinner and a beer at the outdoor restaurant next to the river after a day of riding.
Jumpmaster star correct ?
Old 12-05-21, 02:15 PM
Bmach

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
and others do.
Old 12-05-21, 07:33 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,946 Times in 936 Posts
To the OP: Best thing I ever did was start exploring my local area from home.
Nothing better than having several "go to" rides available from your front door.

Pro Tip: Identify local communities that are "No Commercial Zones." You will not have nearly the street nor truck traffic.
The streets are also in better shape and not beat-up. The locals I find are pretty laid back and respectful of cyclists.

Where in SoCal are you?
Old 12-05-21, 09:04 PM
big john

Originally Posted by Bmach
and others do.
ok
Old 12-08-21, 08:59 PM
mattswabb

Bikes: Scott Foil, GT Edge titanium, Trek Y bike

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
google maps and ride with gps
Old 12-08-21, 09:49 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 491 Times in 325 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
I wouldn't ride in a group that had ebikes mixed in. Sorry, just not happening.
Old 12-08-21, 10:08 PM
big john

Originally Posted by SpedFast
I wouldn't ride in a group that had ebikes mixed in. Sorry, just not happening.
A lot of people feel that way. None of the clubs I know of allow e-bikes, including the 2 I ride with.
Personally, I will ride with e-bikes if I know the riders and trust them.
Old 12-09-21, 08:54 PM
Terex

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
For New Jersey, New Jersey Bike Map, now exclusively on FaceBook, is a great resource for building your own rides. Suggestions from others on general resources are the best way to find routes on a broader basis. When I lived in NJ, I could ride a different 40 mile route on relatively untrafficked roads every day from where we lived north of Princeton. Living in northern New Mexico now, roads are limited and generally dangerous. I stick to gravel and forest roads mostly here.
Old 12-10-21, 04:07 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 2,225 Times in 1,248 Posts
I almost always ride alone and usually the same route. Occasionally I will just take a side trip up a canyon or something on my westerly ride to the coast and have stumbled onto some nice rides. Last weekend a few guys from my neighborhood were going into Ventura and I joined them . We did a bit different route than I usually ride and it was cool to explore . Sometimes it is best to just find it without a plan especially in rural areas. Oh, and the topic of riding with ebikes, one of my friends has a Specialized ebike and it looks just like a modern carbon bike . He was with us and just rode it like a regular bike no real problem he wasn’t any faster than the rest of us. I was the only one on a vintage racer and we were just social riding so no worries. I am in my late sixties and my wife has a peddle assist ebike because of health issues and now can ride with me and I don’t have to slow for her anymore. Now she has to wait for me at the top of a climb!
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 01-05-22, 08:14 AM
brentlarue

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ebikingtoday
Hey All.

Just wondering where anyone searches to discover great rides in the US?

I'm not one to ride on dangerous, super fast roads, so finding good routes that are also safe is my goal!
Thanks!
Can you elaborate on what makes a good ride? How fast is too fast? What kind of things do you consider unsafe (ie. riding on a shared walkway)?

My friend and I are making an app to solve this because we too felt the pain, just for fun. He made a route planning app for running called Trail Router. Tons of people replied to the thread asking for a cycling version, you can find the original threads on Hacker News and r/running with a quick google search.
Old 01-05-22, 12:59 PM
ebikingtoday

Bikes: Rad Power Bikes RadMini Step-Thru and RadMini (standard frame)

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by brentlarue
Can you elaborate on what makes a good ride? How fast is too fast? What kind of things do you consider unsafe (ie. riding on a shared walkway)?

My friend and I are making an app to solve this because we too felt the pain, just for fun. He made a route planning app for running called Trail Router. Tons of people replied to the thread asking for a cycling version, you can find the original threads on Hacker News and r/running with a quick google search.
Primarily... I want to avoid roads with car traffic going over 45mph... and I'd prefer finding trails/paths that are plenty wide for both pedestrians and bikes!
Old 01-05-22, 01:11 PM
ClydeClydeson

Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Depends on what type of ride you are looking for. Road rides are discoverable on Strava Heatmaps - the brighter the line the more people who ride that route.

If looking for off-road or gravel rides, I use Google Earth/ Maps satellite view - look for gaps in the trees that can indicate a road or cut that is not officially a road. If you have access to old topo maps they can be an excellent resource, too - compare old map to new map and you are likely to find roads that used to be marked are no longer included on maps, but are likely still there and passable.

Powerline cuts are also often excellent rides and often have many trails going off in every direction if you keep your eyes open.

If exploring off road, be ready to turn around if you find a dead end, or to sheepishly apologize if you find yourself in someone's back yard and they are out mowing their lawn. The vast majority of people don't seem to mind when this happens to me, and I usually wind up skirting their fenceline towards the road to escape.
Old 01-05-22, 03:45 PM
brentlarue

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ebikingtoday
Primarily... I want to avoid roads with car traffic going over 45mph... and I'd prefer finding trails/paths that are plenty wide for both pedestrians and bikes!
Thanks!!

Are there conditions where you would be ok going on a road 45kph or above for only a short distance? Such as take a 45kph road for less than 300 ft which then saves you a 20 mile detour? If so, what distance would be acceptable and under which conditions?

We can follow-up on a PM if this gets too off topic for the thread.
Old 01-05-22, 03:50 PM
brentlarue

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ClydeClydeson
Depends on what type of ride you are looking for. Road rides are discoverable on Strava Heatmaps - the brighter the line the more people who ride that route.

If looking for off-road or gravel rides, I use Google Earth/ Maps satellite view - look for gaps in the trees that can indicate a road or cut that is not officially a road. If you have access to old topo maps they can be an excellent resource, too - compare old map to new map and you are likely to find roads that used to be marked are no longer included on maps, but are likely still there and passable.

Powerline cuts are also often excellent rides and often have many trails going off in every direction if you keep your eyes open.

If exploring off road, be ready to turn around if you find a dead end, or to sheepishly apologize if you find yourself in someone's back yard and they are out mowing their lawn. The vast majority of people don't seem to mind when this happens to me, and I usually wind up skirting their fenceline towards the road to escape.
You work hard for your routes, and pretty creative too 💪

Strava is great, but I think their heatmap can be misleading due to the way they let user's interact with it. It seems commuter, road biking, touring, MTBing, and road racing are all mixed into a single heatmap. That has led me sometimes to busy main roads which commuters enjoy, but I do not on a road bike. Or I've been sent on single track and gravel when on a road bike with skinny wheels far from home.
Likes For brentlarue:
Old 01-06-22, 12:48 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 558 Times in 423 Posts
Some additional sources:

U.S. Forest Service -- https://www.fs.usda.gov

AllTrails -- https://www.alltrails.com/explore?ref=header

TrailForks, by region -- https://www.trailforks.com

Mountain biking routes -- https://www.mtbproject.com

Trek Bikes, in their "greatrides" section -- https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/greatrides

GravelMap -- https://gravelmap.com/search

Your local and regional biking associations, parks & recreation departments, and local bike shops. Many have references to great trails and routes in the area, and some will have maps. Most of the major metro areas, in the U.S., have produced maps of the bike lanes, multi-use paths and bikeable through-ways in and around the city.
Likes For Clyde1820:
Old 01-06-22, 01:23 PM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 530 Posts
I usually don’t, same 40 mile, mostly car free ride. I just grab a different bike, or different friend or 2, to change it up.
Tim
Old 01-07-22, 08:19 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 343 Posts
Here in Ohio, bike club routes are often very good starting points. The routes have been refined over many years. It still amazes me how a boring farmland area can have all these side roads that are quiet and scenic. Woods and creek valleys, and essentially no cars.

I posted about planning with heat maps in this post.
Not every "popular" road is actually nice to ride, some may be just the usual way to get out of town, or connect between some better roads. And some riders just don't have a clue and pick really annoying or dangerous roads.

Yes, like brentlarue posted:
Strava is great, but I think their heatmap can be misleading due to the way they let user's interact with it. It seems commuter, road biking, touring, MTBing, and road racing are all mixed into a single heatmap. That has led me sometimes to busy main roads which commuters enjoy, but I do not on a road bike. Or I've been sent on single track and gravel when on a road bike with skinny wheels far from home.
Old 01-21-22, 11:34 AM
Harhir

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 72 Posts
I normally ride by my own. Mainly because I don't cycle because of the sports aspect only. I want to see new surroundings and will also stop frequently to take pictures or just enjoy the scenery. I average around 10-12 mph. Too slow for any group ride. I use a combination of Google maps, Google satellite view, Google street view and the Garmin app to plan my routes. I try to stay on trails wherever possible and try to avoid roads with a speed limit of more than 30mph.
Google maps is outdated in regards to trails in our area. Therefore I quite often use the satellite view to check for new trails or trail expansions or new roads. Satellite view is also great to check for other obstacles such as fences, creeks, grassy areas you may be able to cross. Yes on some of my routes there may be sections where I have to push my bike or lift it over obstacles. Satellite view is also good for rides across parking lots or through back alleys to avoid streets with traffic. All these "special" sections you cannot really plan with routing tools. I then right it down on paper.
As for riding on streets I use Street view to check how the roads look like. Are there shoulders or bike lanes? Are there wide side walks? Are there traffic lights and do they have crosswalk signals?
Out of all these tools I build my routes. And once I have ridden it I save it as a new course in the Garmin app.
Old 01-21-22, 12:34 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4387 Post(s)
Liked 4,498 Times in 3,010 Posts
I wonder aimlessly until I hit 40 miles through back county roads.
Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 01-22-22, 08:29 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1063 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 499 Posts
I use the same roads just with different patterns. Mental exercising trying to imagine the result and then making it happen. What is NOT VISIBLE IN STATS are the unrecorded miles ridden to make things happen.

https://www.strava.com/activities/6557506349

https://www.strava.com/activities/6512676833

https://www.strava.com/activities/6016910392

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.