Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

38mm Soma Supple Vitesse EX vs. Shikoro vs. Gravelking - opinions?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

38mm Soma Supple Vitesse EX vs. Shikoro vs. Gravelking - opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-22, 05:28 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1391 Post(s)
Liked 1,852 Times in 1,066 Posts
Originally Posted by motochick
They were on the bike since we built it up in December, the front was the regular casing and the rear was the plus. I will never buy the regular again as the front had the most trouble. They only had 1200 miles on them. The goatheads have been especially brutal this year, all of our bikes have been affected. They almost all run GK. We put sealant in everything and have been good so far! We had way too many multi flat days to count, something needed to change!
Soma Everwear and a Gravelking slick really dont compare

Everwear has a thicker tread - and weighs significantly more than a Gravelking slick

in 38mm size the Everwear (folding bead) will weigh around 460 g - the GK slick will weigh around 330 g
Old 06-30-22, 06:51 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Ooh, I hate goatheads, lol. I haven't really seen any in awhile now, but sure grew to hate 'em, in Arizona. 😵

Here in Northern California, they have something called star thistles, that are way bigger. I haven't run any over yet, and hope I don't, they look like they might do some serious damage. 😟
Likes For stardognine:
Old 06-30-22, 07:01 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by due ruote
I just looked at the Barlow Pass tires and was surprised to see that they are listed as 385g. vs 320g for Supple Vitesse. I wonder if that’s a typo, especially as the endurance casing version is listed as the same weight.
I have been using the Soma SV SL
Very tight tire at first.
the folding bead does stretch

cannot complain but 150-155#
Old 07-01-22, 10:49 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
Originally Posted by nick_a
Soma fab had a sale not too long ago on the SV EX 42's, which have become my absolute favorite tires. I started on some 38s, then tried the Gravelking SS+ (hated them, felt like riding through peanut butter) before returning to the Somas. I bet the Gravelking slicks are great (standard, not plus)and have looked forward to checking them out. They're also ubiquitous and cheap. But the Soma tires come up for sale occasionally on modern bike or other retailers, and that's when I try to snatch them.
Originally Posted by due ruote
I just looked at the Barlow Pass tires and was surprised to see that they are listed as 385g. vs 320g for Supple Vitesse. I wonder if that’s a typo, especially as the endurance casing version is listed as the same weight.
Soma just posted a 20% sale for the July 4th weekend...
Old 07-02-22, 09:20 AM
ehcoplex 

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, '78 Raleigh Comp GS, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1,562 Times in 756 Posts
Straying somewhat outside topic, but in light of the Soma sale...... Does anyone have comparative experience with the Soma Grand Randonneur EX 42c vs. Rene Here's 42c offering (I forget the name of the RH 42c.... Something-Something Pass....)? I've got Grand Bois 42c Hetres on one bike, and I have to say that the ride of the RH 38c tires I've got on another bike is nicer than the Hetres. The RH 35c on yet another bike might actually be superior to the Hetres, too, but it's pretty close there. Yeah, sure, I'm judging the ride quality on different bikes, whatever- I'm familiar enough with the feel of each bike to distinguish to a degree what is due to the tires. Obviously, I'm a fan of RH tires- the $$$ not so much... With the sale, the Soma Grand Randonneur might be worth a try, but if it seems like the RH is likely to be considerably nicer I'd rather put the $ toward those...
Old 07-02-22, 10:42 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
I have a corner full of tires I don’t like so now I just order RH they’re on all my bikes.
Likes For Germany_chris:
Old 07-02-22, 11:10 AM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
Originally Posted by noobinsf
Soma just posted a 20% sale for the July 4th weekend...
Thanks for posting that.
fyi the promo code box auto-capitalizes, but you need to enter all lower case for the code to work.
Likes For due ruote:
Old 07-02-22, 12:12 PM
ehcoplex 

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, '78 Raleigh Comp GS, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1,562 Times in 756 Posts
Originally Posted by Germany_chris
I have a corner full of tires I don’t like so now I just order RH they’re on all my bikes.
Yeah, that's my leaning. Bite the $$$ bullet and go with RH because I know I'll like them.
Likes For ehcoplex:
Old 11-04-22, 12:02 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
(Copying my comments from another thread, because... I can't think of anything more to say.)

No experience with Soma rando or touring tires, but I've been so satisfied with Soma Supple Vitesse SL in 700x23 on my go-fast road bike for going on two years, I'd happily try anything in the Soma lineup.

Only reason I bought the Supple Vitesse SL (superlight, less than 200 grams per 700x23 tire) was because at the time -- before the pandemic related economic crisis -- some Soma tires were dirt cheap in their online bargain/outlet bin. The 700x23 were $15 each at the time, so I bought four. I still haven't worn out the rear tire, or seen any nicks or cuts bad enough to warrant, umm... retiring it.

This far exceeded my expectations. The SL was marketed as an "open tub" type, a pro level racing tire in a folding bead clincher. At around 190 grams with paper thin skinwalls, I figured I'd get maybe 500 miles before they were worn out or slashed to pieces on our coarse chipseal. I installed Vittoria or Silca latex tubes in 'em to enjoy the ride while it lasted. A year later the latex tubes failed (at the valve base where latex tubes are sort of overlapped and glued together, but I had only a couple of punctures in a year and a couplafew thousand miles.

Yup, those tires got at least 2,000 miles on 'em, and the shallow squarish-pattern "tread" (also common to the cutesy named Rivendell tires, also made by Panaracer, like the Soma tires) still hasn't worn down to bare naked rubber.

These ultra-light clinchers have outlasted my best racey-ish tires -- Schwalbe One V-Guard, light, fast, but a bit fragile -- and even my favorite all-around road bike tires, the Continental GP Classic skinwalls with slight raised center tread and chevron tread in the shoulders for wet grip.

The cheapest Supple Vitesse SL tires have doubled in price to $30 each, still a bargain. And the regular full price is $60, still a very good value for such high quality.

I plan to try the slightly heavier, thicker tread Supple Vitesse EX next time.

But, yeah, I'd risk a few dollars on a set of any Soma tire based on that experience. As far as I know, all of Soma's fancy tires and Rivendell's cutesy named boutique tires are made by Panaracer, but I'm not sure Panaracer sells them directly to customers under their own marque. The Panaracer branded tires all appear to be very different types, mostly heavier and more utilitarian.

So if Soma was hoping to sucker me in with a steeply discounted tire in the decreasingly popular 700x23 size... it worked. They got me. I'm lusting over their catalog right now, despite the higher prices since my last purchase.