Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Help me identify my new "Dumpster Sport," thx!

Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Old 05-27-22, 03:28 PM
Trainingwheelie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So short story shorter, I found this sweet number in the dumpster of my boss's high-rise last night. I've always liked schwinn, and had a few over the years, but never a proper road bike. Which is why I've come to you, the guru of the cycling world, just what have I stumbled upon here?

h ttps://imgur.com/a/gmJ2nIJ

I had to add a space after the "h" in order to post this link on account of my being new to the forum. Any suggestions on how to better provide images would be greatly appreciated 😉

Edit: pics added to member album

Last edited by Trainingwheelie; 05-27-22 at 03:40 PM.
Old 05-27-22, 03:40 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked 1,706 Times in 620 Posts
Looks to be la mid 80's Japanes built Schwinn pretty nice basic road bike.

Likes For zukahn1:
Old 05-27-22, 03:53 PM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Looks to be pretty clean but remember you still need to get all of the greasy stuff attended to right away. Give her a full examination to make sure nothing is seriously wrong, for example, bent tubes, fork, etc.

You didn't indicate whether you know anything about bicycle maintenance. If you don't, here's a great opportunity to learn! There is plenty of info here and some good youtube videos on how to grease her up, change the chain, or whatever might be needed. There are several replacement parts on that bike and that's neither good nor bad.

As far as the year, it appears to be 1 1984 probably. Here's the catalog pic and the specs. In the hierarchy it was above the Tempo, which makes it a very nice bike. I had two Tempos and they were both very nice. Good luck with your new ride!

Old 05-27-22, 08:27 PM
Clang

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1115 Post(s)
Liked 2,230 Times in 1,303 Posts
It's an 1985 model. That year had the Columbus Tenax tubing and Shimano 600 vs the '84's Champion tubes and Cyclone derailleurs. It's second from the top of their road bike line behind the Peloton and in front of the Tempo, so it's quite a nice bike!

Likes For Clang:
Old 05-28-22, 07:56 AM
plonz 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 293 Posts
The Tenax-tubed Tempos and Super Sports are crowd favorites around here. Still affordable and ride wonderfully. We don’t see too many of the ‘85 pearl white models so this is a treat. Just replace that awful stem!
Old 05-28-22, 08:19 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Yes, now that I can see the little hint of the "Columbus Dove" it is definitely Tenax. And plonz is right, it made for a great frameset.

If that bike is in the condition it appears it is a real treasure. Treat it as such, not like the previous owner did.
Old 05-28-22, 08:56 AM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 530 Posts
Best dumpster find I’ve seen on this forum yet, keep checking that one out, maybe someone will toss a Peloton or Paramount next. Enjoy, great bike!
As stated earlier, that stem has got to go.
Tim
Likes For tkamd73:
Old 06-07-22, 11:08 AM
Trainingwheelie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks a ton everybody!

I really appreciate everyone's generosity with your time and knowledge. That said, if you don't mind, I might just pick your brain a bit more while I have you here...

So, since my initial post, I've managed to get the old girl wiped down, greased up, and back back rolling again. And after 1 ride, I fear I may be standing at the edge of a rabbit hole. Already, my dumpster bike has cost me nearly $80 (new tires, tubes, a lock and the obligitory headlight) and I really haven't "Done" anything to it yet. For example I haven't even address the stem situation yet, nor would I know where to find a proper replacement and what that should cost.
Do you see what I'm getting at here? As cool as this bike is, I can already feel this getting real expensive real fast. And then there's the issue of time, man I just don't know if I can afford another hobby. After all, I'm married, I work full time, and my golf game is slipping. (handicap over 3 for the first time in at least a decade, SMH)
So my question is this, if I do decide to bail on this bike thing. What do you think this old schwinn is worth? Again, it's a 1985 Super Sport with Shimano 600 components and Tenax Columbus tubes all, clean, straight, rust free, and original except for the seat, stem, and handlebars. Oh. And the pedals are missing their straps.

Last edited by Trainingwheelie; 06-07-22 at 11:36 AM.
Old 06-08-22, 10:29 AM
bikemike73 

Bikes: 1973 Schwinn Sports Tourer plus a " few" more :)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 147 Posts
Easily worth 140.00 to 200.00 depending on location.

If you were close by.....I would come and take a look ........and bring $
Old 06-09-22, 09:05 PM
plonz 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 293 Posts
The new tires should really improve the presentation of the bike. Raising the seat would help curb appeal as well. If it rides and shifts well, I’m thinking $200-$250 is possible although I do struggle seeing past that stem.

I have 2 mid-80s Super Sports. Both probably a notch cleaner than OP’s and bought 3-4 years ago. I got a red and black one for $170 which I thought was a steal when I bought it. Then I bought a pink one on eBay. Paid $300 which I knew was high but I always wanted a pink one and it was very clean.