Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Miyata 610 GT

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-22, 10:37 PM
Frenzen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Miyata 610 GT

What the worth of the frame + fork, I wish I knew where the seller got the frame because it still has a tag on it. Also it looks rusted at the bottom, not sure if that is common or thing to be worried? OP claims its a 58.5cm but there was only 57cm or 60cm. I mistyped and its a 600 GT not 610. How does this bike/frame compare to Miyata 615, 610 or even 1000?
Old 06-13-22, 08:20 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1140 Post(s)
Liked 1,736 Times in 957 Posts
Gosh I look at this, it looks ok at first, then closer, fork may need some adjustment, the rust is minimal issue for use only cosmetic, I would look very closely at the brake bosses in back, the one on the driveside looks odd.

If both the fork and bosses check out ok, $65-85.
Old 06-13-22, 08:29 AM
Frenzen

Originally Posted by Mr. 66
Gosh I look at this, it looks ok at first, then closer, fork may need some adjustment, the rust is minimal issue for use only cosmetic, I would look very closely at the brake bosses in back, the one on the driveside looks odd.

If both the fork and bosses check out ok, $65-85.
Is there a method to look at brake bosses and how do you go for adjusting a fork?
Old 06-13-22, 08:57 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1140 Post(s)
Liked 1,736 Times in 957 Posts
The one boss looks like it has a chip-out at the end. That may need replacement.

The fork looks, to me that it has been pushed back some. To re-align, that is a rather complicated series of measure, secure, manipulation, measure.

I would not buy buy if it needs a boss replaced.

If I were you I probably would not buy if it needs fork work. Finding some to help would be difficult and could be price prohibitive counter productive.

if that frame was perfect in all respect I would think it would sell at $125 very quickly. It is a very popular brand and style, people really like touring versions.
Old 06-13-22, 09:16 AM
Frenzen

Thanks I could fix the fork at a co-op as they have the fool but it is hard to tell the source of the misalignment

Last edited by Frenzen; 06-13-22 at 12:23 PM.
Old 06-13-22, 12:31 PM
Frenzen

Originally Posted by Mr. 66
The one boss looks like it has a chip-out at the end. That may need replacement.

The fork looks, to me that it has been pushed back some. To re-align, that is a rather complicated series of measure, secure, manipulation, measure.

I would not buy buy if it needs a boss replaced.

If I were you I probably would not buy if it needs fork work. Finding some to help would be difficult and could be price prohibitive counter productive.

if that frame was perfect in all respect I would think it would sell at $125 very quickly. It is a very popular brand and style, people really like touring versions.
I offered the guy $105 although he wanted $125 and it appeared to me that it needed fork re-alignment and it had a lot of surface rust including where the cable would go to down tube shifters and the bare metal part of fork chrome had some rust as well and deep scratches on the fork itself. Overall it looked worse in person, and he wouldn't budge on the price and took the fork up in the air and said it looks fine to me! Not sure why but he said I have other two people waiting for it, and later on I see he changed the listing to $150 lol. It is a nice frame but I wasn't going to pay $125 and no regrets! God and behold found another 600GT, what a coincidence for $180 but its 22 inch, I will try it and buy it.

Last edited by Frenzen; 06-13-22 at 01:44 PM.
Old 06-13-22, 02:55 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
Originally Posted by Frenzen
I offered the guy $105 although he wanted $125 and it appeared to me that it needed fork re-alignment and it had a lot of surface rust including where the cable would go to down tube shifters and the bare metal part of fork chrome had some rust as well and deep scratches on the fork itself. Overall it looked worse in person, and he wouldn't budge on the price and took the fork up in the air and said it looks fine to me! Not sure why but he said I have other two people waiting for it, and later on I see he changed the listing to $150 lol. It is a nice frame but I wasn't going to pay $125 and no regrets! God and behold found another 600GT, what a coincidence for $180 but its 22 inch, I will try it and buy it.

It's worthwhile to be careful about this one, too, because this other one has a replacement fork. Often (but not always), a replacement fork can mean that the original one was damaged in a crash, and the top tube and down tube might have some residual damage.
Old 06-13-22, 03:06 PM
Frenzen

Originally Posted by noobinsf
It's worthwhile to be careful about this one, too, because this other one has a replacement fork. Often (but not always), a replacement fork can mean that the original one was damaged in a crash, and the top tube and down tube might have some residual damage.
I got too excited and ugh-oh the fork could ruin the entire geometry for touring but the bar looks original surprisingly. I will make sure to check the fork to see if I can mount a pannier. OP isn't original owner and isn't even aware what he has or even the fork replacement. The bike without its proper fork might not be a good touring bike. Also I am not sure but the stem might be far too out

Last edited by Frenzen; 06-13-22 at 03:12 PM.
Old 06-13-22, 05:55 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
That's quite a size discrepancy between the two frames. The silver 600GT looks too small for the OP's reported 5'11" height. Also in rough conditition with a cheap replacement rear derailleur and some dubious home grown extender for the handlebar stem. Can't see any frame damage but replacement forks warrant a close inspection for such issues. .
Old 06-13-22, 07:22 PM
Frenzen

Originally Posted by T-Mar
That's quite a size discrepancy between the two frames. The silver 600GT looks too small for the OP's reported 5'11" height. Also in rough conditition with a cheap replacement rear derailleur and some dubious home grown extender for the handlebar stem. Can't see any frame damage but replacement forks warrant a close inspection for such issues. .
Yeah at first the owner said he was 5’11 and it was 20 inch but was too big for him and later on he measured it and it was a 22 inch (not sure if he did it right after I told him how to do). Also most of the 600GT that I’ve seen have that exact rear derailleur. https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ta-600-gt.html like this one

Last edited by Frenzen; 06-14-22 at 08:31 AM.
Old 06-14-22, 02:14 PM
Clang

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 2,255 Times in 1,311 Posts
Another vote for pass on the 600GT: too small and too many issues!
Likes For Clang: