Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Simple question .....

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Simple question .....

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-20, 03:31 PM
Fastfingaz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 13 Posts
Simple question .....

What constitutes a gravel bike ? What does it have to have to be a gravel bike ? I bought a old 80's trek antelope and want to convert to this gravel bike ,,, the frame has front suspend and thumb shifters,,,,,,, thanks for any info....
Old 03-03-20, 03:45 PM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
I’d say it has to have tires wider than road bike tires and smaller than mountain bike tires. Typically with drop bars, it can even look like a cross bike but would have mounts for cages, fenders and possibly even a rack if that’s your thing.
Likes For Ghazmh:
Old 03-03-20, 04:34 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Gravel bike is a genre of drop-bar 'road' bike. Think a road bike on top, mountianbike (sort of) on the bottom. Looks like a 'normal' road bike, but usually has 40-50mm tires, with lots of clearance, sometimes a 1x drivetrain, but always a wide-range rear cassette. Think about riding fast (-ish) on long unpaved routes like fire roads or the Katy or C&O trails. (not paved, but you wouldn't need 4WD, either)

Old MTBs like your Antelope can be good base to start from, since they have a more 'neutral' stance than modern MTBs and already have a wide-range drivetrain, and room for big tires. It's mostly the handlebar / control setup and tire choice.
The Drop-bar MTB Conversions thread in the C&V forum has lots of good examples
Likes For Ironfish653:
Old 03-03-20, 04:55 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Drop bars, frame clearance for bigger tires, preferably 700cc wheels but I think wheel size needs to be based on personal preference ....I converted two of my mountain bikes to gravel bikes. I put drop bars on them, one has 700x45mm tires the other has 26x2.35 tires and both of them are singlespeed.
Old 03-03-20, 05:11 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1815 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by Fastfingaz
What constitutes a gravel bike ? What does it have to have to be a gravel bike ? I bought a old 80's trek antelope and want to convert to this gravel bike ,,, the frame has front suspend and thumb shifters,,,,,,, thanks for any info....
What size tires does it take? Do you want to convert it to drop bars? The term "gravel bike" is a loose marketing term for a bike that is comfortable to ride on unpaved roads and smoothish trails. Most so called gravel bikes are simply bicycles with fairly relaxed frame angles for stability and clearance for tires almost as wide as mountain bikes. A Trek Antelope could probably do yeoman service as a gravel bike with minimal modification if your goal is to be able to ride unpaved roads. However, a 30-40 year old suspension fork is probably not going to provide much suspension after all those years
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 03-03-20, 06:51 PM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
Don't try to put my bike in a box man. When I ride on gravel it's a Gravel Eating Machine

Likes For hillyman:
Old 03-03-20, 07:18 PM
Baldy1953

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 18 Posts
The Trek will do an adequate job of riding the gravel. I have an Antelope 800. Have ridden it on 2 so called "gravel rides" here in N. Fl. It is mostly sand and the tires were too narrow for the sandier stretches. Saying that, I was able to ride through areas that had the larger shod tires on the newer bikes walking. A lot depends on the rider.

I have flat bars, not droppers and did not see where that hindered my efforts. Perhaps riding into the wind on a hard packed surface might make a diff, but for dirt, I do not see the need for drop bars.
You might want to check out the forks and make sure they are still operative and will give you a softer ride.

Try it on a couple of rides and you might be surprised.
Likes For Baldy1953:
Old 03-04-20, 10:03 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,204 Times in 2,358 Posts
Originally Posted by Fastfingaz
Can it be ridden on gravel? It's a "gravel" bike. Take your Trek and go ride. No changes needed. You may not be as fast as a labeled "gravel bike" is in some situations but you'll be faster in others. On a gravel road like this

P9270080 by Stuart Black, on Flickr

a road oriented gravel bike might be faster. (Caveat: that road had very deep gravel in places that would swallow narrow tires whole.) But on a road like this

Untitled by Stuart Black, on Flickr

or this

your "slower" mountain bike is going to be much faster.

Your Trek is built for riding on rough terrain and rough roads. Just ride it and don't worry about labels.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 03-04-20, 10:21 AM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
P9270080 by Stuart Black, on Flickr

Just ride it and don't worry about labels.

This.
Old 03-04-20, 10:35 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
drop bars and bigger tires. If it rides good, call it what you want
Likes For Flip Flop Rider:
Old 03-04-20, 11:34 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
Most have drop bars and room for wider tires. The factory built ones come with 700c wheels, and the frames and forks generally have room for 40mm tires or wider.

The suspension fork on your Trek (which probably means it is an early '90s and not an '80s model) will, as mentioned above, probably not add much besides weight. But it's not likely to hold you back at all. Replacement forks are available to convert it to full rigid, if you like.

Switching to drop bars is popular but there are some compromises when working with a bike designed for flat bars, and the end result is not always 100% worth the effort, in my opinion.

My advice: Tune up the Trek and ride it as-is, and if you want to do longer distances or find the Trek to be unsatisfactory, start saving up and checking for a used touring, cyclocross or gravel specific bike that fits you - these bike categories are al closely related to the modern 'gravel' bike.
Old 03-04-20, 11:51 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18403 Post(s)
Liked 15,495 Times in 7,317 Posts
Originally Posted by leob1
this.
+2.

P.S. The thread title is a dead giveaway.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 03-04-20, 11:53 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
More tire and longer wheelbase than a cyclocross bike. "More slack" geometry than a cross bike.
Old 03-05-20, 12:12 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
However, a 30-40 year old suspension fork is probably not going to provide much suspension after all those years
There's a very good chance that the OP's bike has a solid fork. It's an olden days bike.
Old 03-05-20, 12:20 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Please show us pics of your bike! Bike pr0n for the win!

I like riding, so I'm in no rush to finish my rides. Also don't see the need for drop bars; of course, YMMV. Your Cantalope should make a fine off-pavement bike; get some big squishy tires and go for it! My Zoe has Kenda Small Block 8's; good grip on loose stuff, not too noisy on pavement.

Zoe (Washburn), my badass off-pavement ride.
Likes For Korina:
Old 03-05-20, 10:29 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,204 Times in 2,358 Posts
Originally Posted by Korina
Please show us pics of your bike! Bike pr0n for the win!

...Cantalope...

Um, Antelope. Animal, not vegetable. Stupid autocorrect!

Mine’s a YBB. In winter

And doing what I built it for

Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 03-05-20, 10:40 PM
BirdsBikeBinocs

Bikes: Giant Talon 29 - Specialized Diverge E5 Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Ghazmh
I’d say it has to have tires wider than road bike tires and smaller than mountain bike tires. Typically with drop bars, it can even look like a cross bike but would have mounts for cages, fenders and possibly even a rack if that’s your thing.
It ain't much, as pointed out above. If the bike allows for 35c sized tires, it's a gravel bike. And thats it. And things like fenders and a rack are nothing more than accessories that you would find on any bicycle. But do know this too..... Many bikes with 28c tires and less have seen many miles of gravel. IME any bike that isn't a racer is qualified for gravel.

Last edited by BirdsBikeBinocs; 03-05-20 at 10:48 PM.
Likes For BirdsBikeBinocs:
Old 03-06-20, 10:02 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Originally Posted by cyccommute
Um, Antelope. Animal, not vegetable. Stupid autocorrect!
Cool bike! Actually, I understand that Antelope owners are allowed to call them Cantalopes. Because reasons, I guess.
Likes For Korina: