Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

How can stack and BB be the same, but head tube length different?

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-22, 09:13 PM
ehallerm@gmail.
Lizzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hello, There's something I don't understand about bike geometry. My old bike has a stack of 540, a reach of 372, and a BB height of 263. I bought another used bike with very similar geometry, including a stack of 541, a reach of 362, and a BB height of 262.

What I don't understand is how the head tube on the first is 140, and on the second, 130. Head tube angles are about the same at 71.5 and 71.3. With very similar stack, BB, and head tube angles, shouldn't the head tube lengths also be about the same?

Please help me understand. Is it that the forks are different lengths, with one bike having a shorter fork, and longer headtube, and vice versa on the other?

Last edited by ehallerm@gmail.; 07-05-22 at 09:24 PM.
Old 07-05-22, 10:30 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 430 Posts
axle to crown length of the fork affects the stack. road bikes generally haven't varied greatly in ACL, but mtb bikes can vary quite a bit, depending on design.
I haven't done extensive checks on rigid fork 'Gravel' designs. But having looked at just a few bikes, a cm or a bit more variance was apparent. The variance is often, by design, to allow differnt tire sizes - that being a consideration as well as fork blade spacing width.
so, yes, bikes with different head tube lengths CAN have same stack (all else being similar/same). ACL is often not listed in Geometry specs, but if a frame is qualified for 50mm width 700c, it prolly has a longer ACL than one which might only be spec'd for 40 mm width. In either case BB Height might be the same. A longer ACL, compensated by a short HT...
Ride On
Yuri
Old 07-05-22, 10:58 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked 2,052 Times in 1,074 Posts
See https://www.sheldonbrown.com/rinard/forklengths.htm

Also, cyclocross forks have typically 25-30mm more crown to axle height compared to road bikes, probably to allow for more tire clearance. I expect the same for all bike formats moving to bigger tires.
Old 07-05-22, 11:24 PM
ehallerm@gmail.
Lizzi

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thank you very much. That explains the discrepency, and also why two bikes with neary the same stack, reach and BB height look different. I appreciate your help.

Liz
Old 08-15-22, 11:35 AM
BFC

Bikes: Cervelo R5ca, Giant TCR Advanced, Neil Pride, Cervelo P5x

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Stack is the vertical distance from the center of the BB to the top middle of the head tube and that is all it is. Now if you mean Hx | Hy, then Hy is the vertical of center of the BB to the center of the HBs