Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

How to fuel while riding?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

How to fuel while riding?

Old 11-19-22, 04:44 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10104 Post(s)
Liked 5,784 Times in 3,112 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
This reminds me, we'll be staying in Arlington for a few days during the holiday trip. Who knows if I'll be able to get any rides in - the family will have a museum itinerary, I'm sure - but I'll be around.
Let’s try to connect! Will send contact info offline.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 11-19-22, 08:04 PM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked 775 Times in 261 Posts
Let me begin this by stating I have T2 Diabetes but I’ve struggled with this same thing for the past two years. During that time I’ve completed numerous centuries (and farther) and have finally found what works for ME so take this for what it’s worth.

Water—— depending on the route, I usually carry two 33oz Zefal bottles filled with Arbon Energy Fizz packets.
If my route demands more water, I have an under-saddle bottle cage that clamps to the seat post where I can carry up to a third 33oz Zefal. It actually positions the bottle directly under the nose of the saddle but does not interfere with pedaling, I’ve never done a ride that wasn’t covered by that much water without finding resupply.

Food—— I start my rides with (gasp) a fast food breakfast sandwich, hash browns and coffee. I consume a GU about every hour and eat a Stroop Waffle or Rice Krispy treat every other hour combined with a few Vit B tablets and Potassium and magnesium tabs.
At the halfway point in a century I make sure I eat something substantial such as a tuna sandwich, potato chips and perhaps a bottle of Gatorade and then another GU and I’m off again.
This might seem like a lot to some people but the worst thing that can happen is for me to have a sugar crash during a ride because that is not something you recover from very quickly and it’s simply dangerous.

It took me about two years of distance riding to figure all of this out and it is key to my riding. I’m heading out the door tomorrow morning to do 130 as training for a double century in April.
Likes For Tomm Willians:
Old 11-19-22, 08:12 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked 1,595 Times in 1,021 Posts
What about San Antonio's Big Red and Barbacoa, or the Dallas version of Four Slim Jims and a Beer...

Anyway, when I used ta ride long enough ta need food on a ride I found having a water bottle with a mix of Apple Juice and Protein Powder sufficient...
Old 11-19-22, 08:15 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked 2,278 Times in 1,100 Posts
There are people that judge people that use Camelbaks?

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 11-19-22, 08:52 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,873 Times in 4,637 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck M
I know, right?

This past summer, plenty of our weekly group rides started out in 100+ degree temps. There's no judging when it comes to hydration.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 11-20-22, 02:21 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
My diet and rest before a significant ride matter more than what I eat during a ride. I don't do long, hard rides anymore due to chronic neck pain from cervical spine stenosis, so it's pretty unlikely I'll bonk on my usual 20-30 milers.

But if I do carry snacks, I like Pop Tarts and stroopwaffles because they're flat and fit a jersey pocket neatly.

I carry a couple of gels with caffeine but don't use them often anymore. Maybe toward the end of a hard ride when I'm dragging and a caffeine boost might help.

There are convenience stores along most of my usual routes so I don't really need to carry much of anything if I prefer to keep it light. I've done that a time or two when chasing PRs on segments of 1-6 miles, or climbs, and I just piddle-pedal, loafpedal and glasscrank between segments to conserve energy.

I'm pickier about hydration. Usually one bottle with electrolytes (DripDrop if I'm feeling fancy; otherwise Propel or Kroger generic and I add a little sugar), one with plain water/ice. If it's an early ride, or I've just waked up, I'll include some caffeine in the first bottle. I usually carry one or two spare single serve Mylar packets of DripDrop, Propel, whatever. Those carry nicely in a minimalist seat bag, jersey pocket, even tucked inside my shorts leg hem, sock, whatever. Single serve Mylar packets are very resistant to sweat, rain, whatever, so they're usually good for up to a year before the powder gets a little clumpy. NUUN tablets always got gooey and clumpy, didn't want to dissolve.

I've worn a generic hydration backpack (2L, I think) on summer runs and rides when the temp is over 100F, which is common in Texas. One route I rode a couple of summers ago, aiming for a full century, had no convenience stores at all. 30 miles out, temperature was already over 100 degrees and at the rate I was drinking water (hydration backpack and two bottles on the bike) I knew I'd run out of water before I reached the nearest store *if* I detoured. But that would be at least 50 miles, and I wasn't familiar with that road after some highway construction. The safer choice was to turn around and head back the route I'd just ridden. Finished with 60 miles and drank my last sip of water a mile from home.

Stolen from Mark Remy's Dumb Runner FB page. I run too. Applies to both. Although I rarely carry anything but water on my typical 5k-10 mile runs.

Last edited by canklecat; 11-20-22 at 02:30 AM.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 11-20-22, 02:48 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 365 Posts
We don't do any judging beyond the camelbak though. They're pretty much a lost cause so why bother.

OP, gels need water to get adsorbed. You may as well just stick that stuff in your bottles.
Old 11-20-22, 10:03 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,297 Times in 7,230 Posts
So you're trying to gain weight on the ride?
Heh. Some of us would often eat second breakfasts close to that while riding across the country. Worked ok in the mountains of the west, but when we hit the Midwest I actually started putting on pounds. Had to put the brakes on that kind of eating.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 11-20-22, 10:06 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,297 Times in 7,230 Posts
Has the OP disclosed how far a 3.5 hr. ride is?
Old 11-20-22, 10:10 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,236 Times in 617 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Heh. Some of us would often eat second breakfasts close to that while riding across the country. Worked ok in the mountains of the west, but when we hit the Midwest I actually started putting on pounds. Had to put the brakes on that kind of eating.
Gained 2 pounds of Muscle. 4200 miles 57 days.In The Heat of Summer. CA was112*

Last edited by 10 Wheels; 11-20-22 at 10:22 AM. Reason: add video
Likes For 10 Wheels:
Old 11-20-22, 10:18 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,849 Times in 4,396 Posts
Why do some people hate stopping? I've never understood this, always enjoyed stopping to eat something on a longer ride.
Likes For big john:
Old 11-20-22, 11:00 AM
Branko D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
8 gels in a 3 1/2 hour ride? 8 gels is 800 Calories. That seems like a lot! That's half the Calories you're burning.
If working hard, that's the lower bound of what I'd do.

Last Saturday we went for a ride to a town 50km away, then a climb to a mountain, back down and home. I was trying to cram about 350 kcal per hour of sugar all the way to the summit. Since I ran out of sport specific solutions I dumped a load of Haribo gummi bears and other candies in my jersey pocket 🤷

It took me 2:06 hours at 252W to climb. That's 910 kcal per hour not counting BMR. Without eating as much as I can digest, it guarantees losing power because glycogen gets depleted.

Sure, easy rides work fine on water and something to eat half way, but working hard it is best to keep cramming yourself with the maximum sugar you can digest.

​​​​​As for hydration, if I think I'll need a lot, two 950ml bottles and then stop to refill.

Last edited by Branko D; 11-20-22 at 11:07 AM.
Old 11-20-22, 11:08 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
I too put the gels, bars and chews in my jersey pockets. Reaching around is easy and if you learn to rip most of the top of the gel top off, but not all of it, it makes it easier to stow when done.

I also carry in my jersey pockets, wallet, car keys, cell phone.
I thought the cool kids were licking and sticking their chews lined up along the top of the stem?
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 11-20-22, 11:09 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10247 Post(s)
Liked 11,599 Times in 5,945 Posts
Originally Posted by Branko D
If working hard, that's the lower bound of what I'd do.

Last Saturday we went for a ride to a town 50km away, then a climb to a mountain, back down and home. I was trying to cram about 350 kcal per hour of sugar all the way to the summit. Since I ran out of sport specific solutions I dumped a load of Haribo gummi bears and other candies in my jersey pocket 🤷

It took me 2:06 hours at 252W to climb. That's 910 kcal per hour not counting BMR. Without eating as much as I can digest, it guarantees losing power because glycogen gets depleted.

Sure, easy rides work fine on water and something to eat half way, but working hard it is best to keep cramming yourself with the maximum sugar you can digest.

​​​​​As for hydration, if I think I'll need a lot, two 950ml bottles and then stop to refill.
If I climbed 2 hours at 252, I'd have gained 5-6000 feet, and also died.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 11-20-22, 11:11 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10247 Post(s)
Liked 11,599 Times in 5,945 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
I thought the cool kids were licking and sticking their chews lined up along the top of the stem?
I've seen them on top tubes, on CF bikes where the top tube is flat. For me, that would be one way of regaining some of the salt lost through sweating, as well as applying sunscreen to my tongue.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 11-20-22, 11:15 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,429 Times in 2,826 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
You mean not everyone licks their bike?

Old 11-20-22, 11:34 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,803 Times in 1,038 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Why do some people hate stopping? I've never understood this, always enjoyed stopping to eat something on a longer ride.
agree - my fav centuries were the ones that included a stop around the halfway point

small diner / restaurant ... some grabbed a sandwich - others something smaller / lighter

I typically stuck with Clif Bars (or similar) because I knew it worked for me ...

regardless - the stop / break seemed to help all
Likes For t2p:
Old 11-20-22, 11:36 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Originally Posted by genejockey
I've seen them on top tubes, on CF bikes where the top tube is flat. For me, that would be one way of regaining some of the salt lost through sweating, as well as applying sunscreen to my tongue.
tonguescreen ?
Likes For t2p:
Old 11-20-22, 11:45 AM
t2p

Originally Posted by UnCruel
The thing holding me back on longer rides has been nutrition. After some experimentation, energy gels seem to be my solution. Load up on carbs ahead of the ride, first gel 45 minutes into the ride, and subsequent gels every 20 minutes. I'll need about 8 of them for a 3½ hour ride.

My question is, how do people manage this without stopping? I've been keeping them in a handlebar bag, but maybe I need a different bag, because it's difficult to open and close with one hand. I need to extract a gel packet from wherever I'm keeping them, tear off the top, stow the torn off part somewhere without littering, consume the gel, and stow the trash. Are there handlebar bags which are better for this than the one I'm using? (If so, recommendations, please.) Jersey pockets? I haven't tried it, but eight packets seems awkward in a rear pocket, to say nothing of putting trash back there.

Also, a similar topic is water. My routes rarely have good opportunities to refill water bottles. A Camelbak-style reservoir solves the problem for me, but I understand it's some sort of roadie fashion faux pas?
apologize if I missed this in a previous reply

carbs ... more carbs ... 8 gel packs ... (ouch) ... ??? ...

have you tried some / more protein ... more balanced approach ?

Old 11-20-22, 11:45 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1877 Post(s)
Liked 1,412 Times in 979 Posts
So you're trying to gain weight on the ride?
Heh, I used to return, shower, and stuff my face, regaining any calories I had lost (and then some). Now I found that a pack of gummy bears mid-ride mostly stave off that urge.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 11-20-22, 12:18 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
Nutrition on a ride depends on both how long and how hard the ride is, and mostly on the "how hard" thing. 3.5 hours of hard riding can be a considerable dose. At this time, we don't know the terrain, distance, or intensity of the OP's rides, so pretty much impossible to give good advice on calories ingested.

That said, when I do a 3.5 hour ride, it's always a hilly ride, ridden as hard as I can. On those rides, consuming half my burn, using kJ from similar rides to estimate, works perfectly. I used to fuel with Clif Bars, 1/4 bar every 15'. I think that a much better solution than gels. I'd open a bar or bars, break them into quarters, and put them in a jersey pocket. That worked very well.

Many years ago, I switched to liquid food. I mix maltodextrin and flavored whey protein, 7:1 by weight, put an appropriate amount of powder in a bottle, add water and shake 100 times and leave it in the fridge overnight. I make up one bottle to last me 3.5 hours. So I carry 2 bottles, a water bottle and a food bottle, and usually have a coffee break in the middle where I refill the water bottle, have only coffee, no food. For long, hot, or no-break rides, I use a Camelbak, the simplest one, just a bladder in a sack.

Cycling "style" is super-important to many people. Remember the thread about the correct way to flip a water bottle? Or Style Man in Bicycling?
Old 11-20-22, 12:19 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
For me, it depends on the type of ride. If it's pretty casual, I enjoy stopping. If it's at a harder pace, I really dislike stopping - I get café legs and always feel worse off after a stop of 30+ min.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 11-20-22, 12:52 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
For me, it depends on the type of ride. If it's pretty casual, I enjoy stopping. If it's at a harder pace, I really dislike stopping - I get café legs and always feel worse off after a stop of 30+ min.
I had to google what café legs are. And if your legs look as nice as all the pictures google presented for café legs, then I've been totally wrong about the image I imagine of you. Especially your gender!

However I think I get what you mean. When riding long rides at a fast pace, I don't like getting off the bike for any longer than it takes to fill my bottles or urinate. Even just 15-20 minutes off the bike has my leg muscles rebelling for a time when I get back on the bike.
Old 11-20-22, 01:00 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
I had to google what café legs are. And if your legs look as nice as all the pictures google presented for café legs, then I've been totally wrong about the image I imagine of you. Especially your gender!

However I think I get what you mean. When riding long rides at a fast pace, I don't like getting off the bike for any longer than it takes to fill my bottles or urinate. Even just 15-20 minutes off the bike has my leg muscles rebelling for a time when I get back on the bike.
Sorry - I sometimes forget that we're not all serious cyclists here.

But yes, that's what "café legs" are - sore, stiff, ungrateful bastards after a stop to smell the roses sip the flat white.
Old 11-20-22, 01:02 PM
thin_concrete
Achtung!

Bikes: 60.1, Marvel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 161 Posts
The only Camelbak user I judge is my wife. Because she took mine….

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.