Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Free ‘73 Cinelli Speciale Corsa

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Free ‘73 Cinelli Speciale Corsa

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-22, 12:59 AM
Rooney 

Bikes: '72 Raleigh Super Course; '90 Cannondale ST1000; '98/99 Cannondale T700; 2002 Cannondale CAAD5 R700; 2022 Cannondale Topstone 2L

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 156 Posts
To reiterate, I plan on leaving the rear at 120 with the 5-spd.

(Is anyone else getting an error message while trying to reach the 2nd page of this thread?)
Old 11-30-22, 04:14 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,271 Times in 1,273 Posts
I haven’t visited this thread in a while. It looks like you have made decent headway in getting it on the road. It sure cleaned up nicely and the red bar tape is very nice. I agree with trimming the cables so the arch matches and don’t forget the locking acorn nut on the rear brake.
Old 11-30-22, 08:20 PM
Rooney 

Bikes: '72 Raleigh Super Course; '90 Cannondale ST1000; '98/99 Cannondale T700; 2002 Cannondale CAAD5 R700; 2022 Cannondale Topstone 2L

Originally Posted by Kabuki12
I haven’t visited this thread in a while. It looks like you have made decent headway in getting it on the road. It sure cleaned up nicely and the red bar tape is very nice. I agree with trimming the cables so the arch matches and don’t forget the locking acorn nut on the rear brake.
Good catch! It made me look at the first photos; no acorn nut on the rear brake there either. I guess there's still a part to acquire.

In other news, a pair of NOS red Cinelli Milano barend plugs arrived today. They feel a bit thin and flimsy, we'll see how they do.
Old 12-29-22, 06:30 PM
Rooney 

Does anyone recognize this label?

Life and other projects have slowed progress on the Cinelli.

The last thing I was doing was attempting to true the wheels, however, neither wanted to cooperate. The front has clearly been rebuilt at some point already. I've been thinking it may be time to rebuild the wheels again, using the original hubs, which seem to be in fine shape. I work at a shop with plenty of vintage parts, including a handful of old tubular rims. There are a few grey anodized Mavic pairs and a set of Campagnolo rims which seem to be from the 80s. Neither of those options seems appropriate for the build. This set of "Record R.P. Italy" rims seems the most era correct, but I can't turn up any info on them. Does anyone recognize the label? There are no other markings on the rims.

I suppose another option would be rebuilding the wheels in their current configuration, with the hope that they'll true up better by starting over.

Likes For Rooney:
Old 12-29-22, 08:03 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
I have had success restarting with the same materials - but test:
is the rim flat when on a flat surface?
are all the spokes the same length?
( on a rear wheel- segregate drive and non drive side )
any dents? Sometimes fixable.
do the current spokes all fill the spoke nipples?

so can be done.

Set aside the spokes from one front wheel I took apart- too short spokes. This was probably from the factory but not good practice.
Old 06-16-23, 07:55 PM
Rooney 

A quick update (from my phone):
The rims I’d previously thought about using ended up being 650c and it took me an embarrassingly long time to even notice. Luckily, there were some NOS Mavic GP4 rims kicking around, and definitely 700c. Most of this year has been me slowly trying to motivate myself to build up the wheels. When I finally got there I ran into small issue after small issue. Finally, to get the project done I had a local shop do the final tensioning and truing as I was very over the wheels and frustrated enough. I picked the wheels up today and was able to finish up the restoration. I’m sure some will wish I’d gone with silver, maybe even Italian, tubular rims, but it’s hard to beat free NOS. Im also using a four prong Suntour 5spd freewheel because it’s much easier to actually remove, whenever that time comes. I tried soldering the cable ends to recoup some points, but I haven’t soldered since design school. I used to be good. I’ll probably find some cable crimps to hide my shame.

I’ll take more photos later, it was a bit grey in Brooklyn today so you just get this one for now.
Old 06-16-23, 08:48 PM
Kilroy1988 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 1,844 Times in 609 Posts
Such a wonderful bicycle! Yeah, the black rims are pretty disappointing considering how excellent the rest of the period-correct components look together on the bike.

-Gregory
Old 06-16-23, 09:02 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26383 Post(s)
Liked 10,364 Times in 7,196 Posts
Originally Posted by Rooney
I tried soldering the cable ends to recoup some points, but I haven’t soldered since design school. I used to be good. I’ll probably find some cable crimps to hide my shame.

...with all the stainless cabling sold nowadays, and the die drawn slick stuff, added to the new, higher temperature lead free solder, I stopped soldering these about ten years ago.
Fishing wire crimps work pretty well for me, and you can buy them everywhere there's a sporting goods or fishing supplies store, as well as internet. They go on a little neater than the aluminum bicycle ones.
Old 06-16-23, 09:18 PM
repechage

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...with all the stainless cabling sold nowadays, and the die drawn slick stuff, added to the new, higher temperature lead free solder, I stopped soldering these about ten years ago.
Fishing wire crimps work pretty well for me, and you can buy them everywhere there's a sporting goods or fishing supplies store, as well as internet. They go on a little neater than the aluminum bicycle ones.
old cables have a lot of oxidation. Really a challenge.
‘I have had some success with silver soldier, but with cadmium… good luck finding that today and you need the proper flux and a hot torch.

decades ago there were soldier pots, where a couple fluid oz of soldier were kept molten, a cable could be dipped in, the cables were fresh, the safety rules were lax. How Campagnolo finished the ends of their brake cables.
Old 06-17-23, 01:47 AM
Rooney 

It’s a slight relief to read that it’s not entirely due to my lack of practice that the soldering didn’t go smoothly. Thank you for the lessons!
Old 06-17-23, 05:54 AM
Sierra
Uff Da!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 90 Posts
My recent experience with soldering the "new" stainless cables is that if you get them too hot the solder just rolls off.
If I get the cable just warm enough to melt the solder it seems to flow in much better.
Old 06-17-23, 06:43 AM
heidelbergensis 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 46 Posts
Beautiful Cinelli! I honestly don't really mind the anodized rims. Maybe I'll see this in person sometime tooling around Prospect??
Likes For heidelbergensis:
Old 06-17-23, 07:00 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,271 Times in 1,273 Posts
Nice job on your Cinelli. It’s been a while since I’ve seen a photo of it. I like the way it looks now with the wheels and gum wall tires. I know it is different than what most would expect , but , it looks just right IMHO. I was faced with a situation when I put my Raleigh Pro on the road. I just could not find an appropriate wheel set for the bike , plus I was on a tight budget. I found a bike for sale on CL for $100 that had a really nice set of GP 4 rims laced to some early Phil Woods hubs, plus some other really nice components. I wasn’t sure they would look right on my late seventies Pro , but after I put it all together , it looked fine. Now , ride the heck out of that bike!
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 06-17-23, 07:06 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by Rooney
A quick update (from my phone):
The rims I’d previously thought about using ended up being 650c and it took me an embarrassingly long time to even notice. Luckily, there were some NOS Mavic GP4 rims kicking around, and definitely 700c. Most of this year has been me slowly trying to motivate myself to build up the wheels. When I finally got there I ran into small issue after small issue. Finally, to get the project done I had a local shop do the final tensioning and truing as I was very over the wheels and frustrated enough. I picked the wheels up today and was able to finish up the restoration. I’m sure some will wish I’d gone with silver, maybe even Italian, tubular rims, but it’s hard to beat free NOS. Im also using a four prong Suntour 5spd freewheel because it’s much easier to actually remove, whenever that time comes. I tried soldering the cable ends to recoup some points, but I haven’t soldered since design school. I used to be good. I’ll probably find some cable crimps to hide my shame.

I’ll take more photos later, it was a bit grey in Brooklyn today so you just get this one for now.
That bike looks great. Don't listen to the nattering nabobs of negativity who are dinging the rims. The bottom line is that you built this bike to ride and these are quality strong rims.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 06-17-23, 07:14 AM
repechage

Originally Posted by jet sanchEz
This is very interesting to me as I also have an early 1970s Cinelli that does not have any drillings for water bottle cages and I thought maybe the frame was custom.

When did CInelli start drilling water bottle bosses into their frames?

Gorgeous bike, I wish mine looked as nice

Is the stem period correct or is it perhaps a newer addition?
about 1975 for brazed on water bottle bosses. I write about as there were just not many new ones around in the early, middle 70’s.
Spence Wolf records are out there, and there was an East Coast importer, maybe less than 100 coming into the USA per year.
Allen key bar clamping was about 1973. It might have started earlier, stock was not always rotated. There were no “model years”.

The dark anodized rims did not jump out at me. Mine had a mixed set of a no name and a Fiamme Red for the rear, Reds were typical. I found a NOS set of Fiamme Yellow Labels so that is what it wears now.
my bike is about ‘71-‘72- does have brazed on shift cable guides at the bottom bracket.

Last edited by repechage; 06-17-23 at 07:20 AM.
Likes For repechage:
Old 06-17-23, 09:37 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3492 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,766 Posts
Beautiful bike! Personally, I really like dark anodized rims.
Likes For smd4:
Old 06-17-23, 11:51 AM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
O rings are available at almost any hardware store to replace the one missing from the rear brake's adjuster.

You'll need to install it before you finalize the brake cables.
Old 06-17-23, 12:48 PM
repechage

Originally Posted by Bad Lag
O rings are available at almost any hardware store to replace the one missing from the rear brake's adjuster.

You'll need to install it before you finalize the brake cables.
nah, Campagnolo is very accommodating. And those O rings are not standard hardware store inventory now.
Old 06-17-23, 02:35 PM
Bad Lag

Originally Posted by repechage
nah, Campagnolo is very accommodating. And those O rings are not standard hardware store inventory now.
What do you mean about "accommodating"? Do they send them free or something?

I do not know your area, but around here every hardware store has plumbing supplies and o-rings seals are a staple. I have a small package of them left over from my last purchase. They do tend to embrittle and crack, so I keep a few spares.
Old 06-17-23, 02:58 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4509 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts

I do not know your area, but around here every hardware store has plumbing supplies and o-rings seals are a staple. I have a small package of them left over from my last purchase. They do tend to embrittle and crack, so I keep a few spares.
Massage with vaseline the night before then wipe off good so they don't slip.

Many standard hardware store o-rings that fit right are slightly smaller gauge and don't quite fill the groove properly.

I can easily live with it but.....
Old 06-17-23, 03:03 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Dark rims and whatever else it takes to get there that you can live with, "sympathetic" build is the order of the day, now days.

Plenty of these are not "correct" or have been for a long time.
Likes For merziac:
Old 06-17-23, 03:41 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3492 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,766 Posts
In case you don't want to settle for black:

Bike O Rings

I have them in white. They fit beautifully.
Old 06-17-23, 05:50 PM
Bad Lag

Originally Posted by merziac
Many standard hardware store o-rings that fit right are slightly smaller gauge and don't quite fill the groove properly.
True for many, but keep looking. O rings are sold based upon diameter or the ring and diameter of the rubber. Look for ones that fill the groove.

If you cannot find what you want here, something is wrong. Link to McMaster-Carr
Old 06-17-23, 05:54 PM
merziac

True, but o rings are sold based upon diameter or the ring and diameter of the rubber. Look for ones that fill the groove.

If you cannot find what you want here, something is wrong. Link to McMaster-Carr
I know, I was pointing out that many stores don't have the stock they used too, the common sizes now don't always fill the bill or groove.

I'm fine with it and don't go out of my way when close enough works.
Old 06-17-23, 11:04 PM
repechage

there is no problem exchanging an adjuster wheel O ring after the cable has been assembled once and a cable end fitted. Undo the cable clamp nut all the way slide the cable through the arm, load the O ring, reassemble.
other brands like the old Weinmann’s or some Dia-Compe, Universals won’t allow similar procedures, but they did not use O rings, some later Suntour calipers would allow and did use O rings.
Likes For repechage: