Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Cook pot recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-22, 04:20 AM
bonsai171

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 70 Posts
Cook pot recommendations

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I'm looking to buy a pot for cooking food on bikepacking trips. Been looking at the Stanley 2 cup cook set, which is a good size but kind of heavy:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-Adventure-All-One-Bowl/dp/B08WMBYZM5&ved=2ahUKEwjIoOif8c36AhW1k2oFHRN_DrIQFnoECG0QAQ&usg=AOvVaw3fHeEdHiK6bwnR7Xs8JFYd
Also looking at titanium cups like this but don't know if the size is big enough for cooking food:

https://www.rei.com/product/139465/toaks-titanium-single-wall-450ml-cup

Dave
Old 10-08-22, 05:39 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 860 Times in 489 Posts
Not a bike packer myself but I’ve spent many days backpacking.

Nesting titanium type of cookware is what you’re looking for. It’s light, durable, and holds several things inside. Think Russian dolls.

$60 to $200 is your range.

Don’t be oversold on nonstick, the reality of cooking in the middle of nowhere is boiling water, heating dehydrated food, and making coffee. Actually all of those are just boiling water. You aren’t making pancakes or sautéing onions or whatever.

I’m personally just about over camp fuel bottles. They don’t pack down, so even empty they take up as much space as full. I’m considering this wood fired unit https://www.bioliteenergy.com/products/campstove-2-plus but it wouldn’t help much in grasslands and I think it’s not allowed if there is a campfire ban.

MSR liquid fuel, get the international!!, are extremely efficient for the weight and you can top off damn near anywhere.
Old 10-09-22, 06:37 AM
veloz

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 48 Posts
Don’t have that Stanley but have their similar French press. It’s a bit heavy but it covers both French press and cooking water - so it might save weight in total. Also have a Toaks 550 which fits a small fuel can inside. Mostly use the Toaks for backpacking with dehydrated meals. Occasionally use it for solo bike trips but I usually ride with a partner. She insists on good coffee and I know better than to disagree in the morning.
Old 10-13-22, 08:23 AM
Craptacular8

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
I've done some bikepacking. I've got two different stoves, and one cooking pan/set. For super light weight, no fuss fuel, and limited cooking (water boiling), I use the Esbit pocket stove with solid fuel pellets. Takes 3-4 minutes to boil 2 cups of water per pellet. For pots, I'm using the GSI Soloist pot/set. GSI Cookset I use a flow through coffee filter...folds down to nothing, and snaps on top of my camp cup. I use the nesting bowl in the gsi cookset to hold the food pouch that I've poured the hot water into....saves on burning hands, and no cleanup necessary.

The Jetboil system comes with the pot and stove, and is very popular with bikepackers. Most of the folks I camped with had gone that route. I've got one of the msr pocket rocket stoves too, which is very similar to jetboil, but lacks the built in wind screen.
Old 10-13-22, 08:46 AM
Clipped_in
Rubber side down

Bikes: are fun! :-)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 105 Posts
I have a Jetboil Flash that I like a lot and has served me well, but I'm basically a boil-water only kinda guy. It all nests into itself and has a push-button starter. Simple, easy, and boils water very very fast.
Suits my needs perfectly!
Old 10-13-22, 01:27 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-1-0.../dp/B07WFHWDKH