Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What’s your winter riding/fitness strategy?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What’s your winter riding/fitness strategy?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-22, 01:41 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Amazing how so many people call themselves " real cyclist and serious cyclists" and hide indoors when it gets cold.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 10-29-22, 01:50 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy

Apparently, geezers have to squat bodyweight just like everyone else, who knew?
Have to ?..says who ?...So if a guy lives to be 80 years old and happens to weigh 180 pounds he has to be able to squat a 180 pound barbell ??. I don't think that's realistic for majority of people in real life. It looks like social media and internet is putting some serious demands on older folks.
Old 10-29-22, 02:29 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Amazing how so many people call themselves "real cyclist and serious cyclists" and hide indoors when it gets cold.
Amazing how many straw men you introduce in your posts. I pity your insecurity.

Last edited by Rolla; 10-29-22 at 02:34 PM.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 10-29-22, 02:52 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,518 Times in 7,324 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Amazing how so many people call themselves " real cyclist and serious cyclists" and hide indoors when it gets cold.
Real and serious at the same time?

Nice try, rydabent. You really need a new pair of Bombas.
Old 10-29-22, 06:41 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
I already shifted to running, walking and workouts at the rec center. The walking is the highlight of the day for the dogs. One of our kids likes to go work out at the rec center, and I’m much fitter for doing that several times a week this year. I’m also pleasantly surprised that running is working well because it’s easier to manage in the cold, dark half of the year. Mostly a matter of better shoes and better technique.

The rec center has an indoor track so I have the option to run indoors. My preference is not to use stationary machines except for a bit of stair climber work at the rec center and elliptical at home. I ride down to about 32F if there is no ice, but it’s mostly taking a back seat to the other options.

Otto
Old 10-29-22, 06:44 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,963 Times in 1,913 Posts
once the snow hits & sticks, it's indoor riding until the weather breaks. Too much vehicle traffic to deal with in the slippery cold icy conditions.
Old 10-29-22, 06:51 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
SoCal…The same all year round except for wind and rain, then set up the indoor peloton.
Old 10-29-22, 07:17 PM
Attilio

Bikes: Salsa!

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 39 Posts
Live in the Northeast so it gets cold and snows. I don't change hugely just take shorter rides, wear more clothing and use thermoses w/ hot liquid. I go a lot slower and burn more energy in winter so the rides are less ambitious. I might do a couple centuries a month March-Oct/Nov. Once Dec-Feb cold hits rides won't be as long. Also I avoid places with a lot of snow that isn't removed. I have a fat bike that I use as my MTB but more than 4-6 inches of snow tops it gets impossible to move so unploughed roads or bike paths become off limits those months unless there is a major thaw. But otherwise still outside 12 months a year. I *AVOID* trainers and don't even own one. Winter riding has excellent training potential between the cold and extra clothing. We can argue until we're blue in the face about advantages of a lighter bike, carbon wheels, or going up to Dura Ace or SRAM red, but believe me the layers and boots you put on in winter make a HUGE drag and difference in your performance. Accordingly I took up the sport seriously about 3 1/2 years ago (recreationally as an adult maybe 1-2 years before that) and been riding almost every day regularly since Spring 2019. My best "gains" every year are in March/April when those layers come off.
Old 10-29-22, 07:23 PM
Mtracer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 301 Times in 192 Posts
I ride about the same amount as I do any time of year. It's dry where I live (Albuquerque, NM USA) so snow and rain aren't much of an issue even though relatively more so in the winter months. I just dress warm and ride later in they day, versus the early morning in summer. On really bad weather days, I'll ride indoors, Though I loath riding indoors. It's just bores me to tears. So, unless it's super windy, ice on the road, or actually raining, I'll ride outside.
Old 10-29-22, 07:33 PM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 391 Times in 226 Posts
I relocate to a warmer climate and then come back in late March early April.
Likes For SpeedyBlueBiker:
Old 10-29-22, 07:56 PM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Bikes: Roubaix Comp 2020

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 191 Posts
We only get a couple weeks of ice so I am biking most of the winter.. rides are in the afternoon, as opposed to early morning rides in the summer heat. I bought an indoor trainer but only use if there is a very long rain or snow spell. I hate the trainer, the monotony numbs my mind. I need to be balancing turning watching etc. I thought Zwift would make things better but it doesn’t, I hate that plastic land.

Tomorrow it will be high 50s in the later afternoon, great for biking! Our highs are almost always above 30 or so meaning long rides are pretty easy with good gear.
Likes For scottfsmith:
Old 10-29-22, 08:02 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,518 Times in 7,324 Posts
Originally Posted by Attilio
Live in the Northeast so it gets cold and snows. I don't change hugely just take shorter rides, wear more clothing and use thermoses w/ hot liquid. I go a lot slower and burn more energy in winter so the rides are less ambitious. I might do a couple centuries a month March-Oct/Nov. Once Dec-Feb cold hits rides won't be as long. Also I avoid places with a lot of snow that isn't removed. I have a fat bike that I use as my MTB but more than 4-6 inches of snow tops it gets impossible to move so unploughed roads or bike paths become off limits those months unless there is a major thaw. But otherwise still outside 12 months a year. I *AVOID* trainers and don't even own one. Winter riding has excellent training potential between the cold and extra clothing. We can argue until we're blue in the face about advantages of a lighter bike, carbon wheels, or going up to Dura Ace or SRAM red, but believe me the layers and boots you put on in winter make a HUGE drag and difference in your performance. Accordingly I took up the sport seriously about 3 1/2 years ago (recreationally as an adult maybe 1-2 years before that) and been riding almost every day regularly since Spring 2019. My best "gains" every year are in March/April when those layers come off.
There is no argument: SRAM Red is the warmest group.
Old 10-29-22, 08:22 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8271 Post(s)
Liked 9,023 Times in 4,468 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
SoCal…The same all year round except for wind and rain, then set up the indoor peloton.
It rains so rarely here that rides are seldom rained out. If it's a light rain I don't mind riding the mtb.
Same if it's very windy or we have a road route we do in front of the San Gabriel mountains which is somewhat shielded from wind.
I have a dumb trainer but I can't remember the last time I used it, certainly not since I retired.
Old 10-30-22, 06:25 AM
Attilio

Honestly for winter I destroyed a Claris now upgraded to Sora gravel bike but have started to use a single speed Salsa Stormchaser. Chain lasted 3k miles and bottom bracket 3500. That is also my rain bike I take out in precipitation. I oil and clean it once a year even when it doesn't need it. You're supposed to clean and oil the drivetrain every time you take it out in "bad" conditions". Calculating what I earn per hour and the oilings and cleanings I didn't do on that bike it has saved me big bucks. Time = money.
Old 10-30-22, 12:01 PM
MNebiker

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 83 Posts
It's Minnesota. Hang the bike in the garage when the temps go below 40 and wait for the spring thaw!
Likes For MNebiker:
Old 10-30-22, 01:27 PM
Attilio

Error post
Old 10-30-22, 02:33 PM
KPREN

Bikes: 2008 S Works Stumpjumper FSR Carbon, 2016 E Fat Titanium Bike Custom built by me.

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts
Originally Posted by adlai
Are electric bikes better in winter?
If you are talking salted roads and slush, then electric is not better. If you are talking fat bike studded tires off road, then hell yes electric is better.
Old 10-30-22, 03:26 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Originally Posted by adlai
Are electric bikes better in winter?
The battery will discharge a lot faster in the cold and then you're stuck pedaling a 70 - 80 pound bike through the snow, I also question the reliability of all the electronics when exposed to salty spray and slush.....The best bikes for winter riding are singlespeed or fixed gear or IGH bikes.
Old 11-02-22, 11:04 AM
kcjc

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 34 Posts
NorCal so it gets cold enough to be annoying and unpleasant. Excessive sweating here, so not a fan of riding in the cold and are on the trainer mostly in winter with tons of sweet spot.
Old 11-02-22, 11:09 AM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked 2,635 Times in 946 Posts
Ride as much as I want to
Old 11-02-22, 12:14 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
Around this time last year I bought a good indoor trainer, and I used it a lot that winter. I'm about to set it up and start using it again. I ride outside a little in the winter, just not often and not long distances. I run outside in the winter, sometimes more than summer. I've never been one to go to a gym often. I have free access to a nice one, but it's not my thing. I have a rowing machine and a few weights at home, which I actually use, more in winter than other seasons.

Edited to add: My trainer is a TACX. Although it will work with Zwift and many other apps, the only one I've ever used with it is the TACX app. I ride lots of virtual routes in Europe. They even have challenges you can sign up for, to ride a particular group of routes within a specified timeframe. If you do it, they'll send you a real (not virtual) embroidered patch. I am astounded at how hard I'm willing to work for a patch. They really know how to market their service to keep people subscribing and using it. At least they have my number, so to speak.

Last edited by Broctoon; 11-02-22 at 12:23 PM.
Likes For Broctoon:
Old 11-02-22, 12:31 PM
MixedRider

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Ride outdoors when i can. Wet roads are ok and so is a super slight drizzle. But anything more than that i stick to the rower in the basement. Plus, in the PNW, the sun rises after 8a and sets before 6p, so alot of lunch time rides the winter months.
Likes For MixedRider:
Old 11-02-22, 12:40 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6186 Post(s)
Liked 4,803 Times in 3,313 Posts
Even 65°F (18°C) is a little on the cool side to me. But I do have stuff that keeps me warm and comfortable down in the 40 degree range (4 - 10°C)

I probably in November, December and January can count all my rides on the fingers of two hands plus the toes on one foot. Thumbs count too for some years! <grin>. My mileage drops even more compared to the drop in number of rides. So I'm doing shorter and/or slower rides.

I do get on a stationary bike, but that's more rare than the actual riding during any one month.

I've bought some better cold weather gear. So maybe I'll get out more these next few months than I did in years past.

I envy those of you determined enough to ride when it's colder and snowy.

Last edited by Iride01; 11-02-22 at 12:43 PM.
Old 11-02-22, 01:44 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
My wife has been sick and almost completely unable to ride lately. Prior to this, we went out together fairly often. One of our favorites is a Saturday morning ride to a local diner for brunch. We'd do this even in winter, with temps as low as 30 degrees F.

The hard part isn't getting out. It's riding several miles, sitting down to eat, and then going out to start riding again. Sometimes we step out of the diner for the ride home and she gets so cold she sends me to get the car and come back for her, or she just calls our daughter to pick her up.

We're both becoming pretty big wimps about cold weather. And yet, I still consider myself a "real and serious cyclist." I went out for rides last summer when temps were in the triple digits, just avoided big climbs. As I age, I find I can tolerate hot temps better than cold. I see the trainer as a really good option in the cold, dark winter. I see jogging as another. I've never considered myself a "real" or a "serious" runner, but I don't get nearly as cold when running, so it's a fallback activity.
Old 11-02-22, 03:14 PM
Champlaincycler

Bikes: 2018 Diverge Comp, 2016 Specialized SL4 Comp,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 42 Posts
Used to ride down to 15F or so, but I've realized that no matter the clothing/boots/gloves, I just can't ride more than an hour in cold weather before toes and fingers start to freeze, chest sweat freezes up on the downhills etc. I'll still go out occassionaly if the roads are clear, sun is out and there's little wind, but it's more to get out then for serious exercise. I like to get outside every day ,so hiking and xcountry skiing fill the gaps and get me into the woods as well. I'm lucky in that I can do all of those from my back door or maybe a short drive away and rarely go to a ski center. Love my indoor rower as well.
Likes For Champlaincycler:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.