Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Local bike shops that steal your parts..

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Local bike shops that steal your parts..

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-22, 10:47 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
All you did was leave the shop without paying? I would have called the police for them purposely damaging the bike's frame, and then took them to small claims court to get compensated for the damaged frame. When I would have gone to court I would taken another bike ship mechanic with me to explain to the judge how that was a bad thing to do and it ruined the frame. Sorry, but I would not have put up with just not paying them and leaving.
I felt like doing some of that but unfortunately I was riding through Toronto and had to get back home. You really do need to be careful when dealing with an unknown to you bicycle shop.

Cheers
Old 11-18-22, 11:10 AM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked 249 Times in 200 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
I felt like doing some of that but unfortunately I was riding through Toronto and had to get back home. You really do need to be careful when dealing with an unknown to you bicycle shop.

Cheers
well in that case, you leave, buy a cheap hammer, then come back and beat one of their bikes, then leave. just kidding, right?
Old 11-18-22, 04:20 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
In some cases you will find someone who is new and may not know exactly what to do and unwilling to be a professional mechanic and ask for help they just go at it hoping they can solve the issue which in some cases they do just in the worst way. Unfortunately there are people in shops and really everywhere that let their pride get in the way of doing the correct job. It is not all shops and all mechanics it is single human individuals like you or I some young some older maybe stuck in their ways maybe not but just not interested in learning. It happens, it is not ideal and sometimes leads to poor situations where the problem is not resolved or is resolved in a poor way but it happens. We also in 99% of these threads only hear or see one side of the story so we must always be careful there as well.
Old 11-20-22, 08:55 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by afrowheels
Before I went on my first long tour I arranged with a local bike shop to sit in their workshop and watch the mechanics do their stuff, as a crude way of trying to learn a little. One day a customer came in unexpectedly to check on his bike and all hell broke loose because he found out they had switched one of his parts onto another bloke's bike. This week I became that customer: took my bike in for a service before heading off on a potential tour (https://www.bikeforums.net/touring/1...g-working.html) and today I noticed that one of my XT brake calipers had been switched for a no-name brand grey plastic piece of crap. Hard to put into words what this kind of thing makes you feel...switching a rear brake lever on a bike that you know is going to be doing heavily loaded touring in difficult conditions, just to make a little extra money by fitting out someone else's bike....

Since I've had two experiences of this now and I don't exactly deal with bike shops a lot, I am wondering how common it is.
I have had a bike shop down grade my RD!!
Old 11-20-22, 10:23 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by rydabent
I have had a bike shop down grade my RD!!
Again another story with one side and barely much of that side. Nobody knows what happened or at least according to you but there was probably a reason for it if it actually happened because it is unlikely again that a bike shop is going to take extra time to take off a working derailleur to keep it and put on something different and not be getting paid for that labor. I am sure there is a human being in the world like you or I or anyone else on this forum or not on this forum who is human who might do that but it has got to be a pretty tiny number out of 8 billion humans.

Most shops wouldn't even want to work on a recumbent because there isn't a great way to get one in the stand and a lot of us have back issues so trying to work on it on the floor is miserable so doing all of that work for the reward of a used derailleur just seems silly unless it were a Paul or Joe's or one of those super boutique MUSA derailleurs from the 90s but you would have to be either leaving the country or just be an absolute scumbag to take that because you couldn't hide it.

We have replaced parts with what we had in the shop that would work because customers have wanted their bikes back quickly and didn't want to wait for parts to come in or it was an on the spot thing but again those are special circumstances and in 99% of those cases the customer was made aware.
Old 11-21-22, 02:22 AM
str

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked 487 Times in 236 Posts
Originally Posted by afrowheels
Before I went on my first long tour I arranged with a local bike shop to sit in their workshop and watch the mechanics do their stuff, as a crude way of trying to learn a little. One day a customer came in unexpectedly to check on his bike and all hell broke loose because he found out they had switched one of his parts onto another bloke's bike. This week I became that customer: took my bike in for a service before heading off on a potential tour (https://www.bikeforums.net/touring/1...g-working.html) and today I noticed that one of my XT brake calipers had been switched for a no-name brand grey plastic piece of crap. Hard to put into words what this kind of thing makes you feel...switching a rear brake lever on a bike that you know is going to be doing heavily loaded touring in difficult conditions, just to make a little extra money by fitting out someone else's bike....

Since I've had two experiences of this now and I don't exactly deal with bike shops a lot, I am wondering how common it is.

that's for sure a real big problem, happening in all bike shops around the world.
Likes For str:
Old 11-21-22, 03:25 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by str
that's for sure a real big problem, happening in all bike shops around the world.
Unfortunately sarcasm doesn't always show up in text so people might not get it.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 11-21-22, 03:48 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 3,411 Times in 1,783 Posts
I'm really proud of everyone here. Three pages, and Colombia is spelled correctly.
Old 11-21-22, 03:48 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 3,411 Times in 1,783 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Unfortunately sarcasm doesn't always show up in text so people might not get it.
They are genetically deficient.
Likes For Polaris OBark: