Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Colnago Sport

Old 11-06-22, 10:33 PM
gsulit@shaw.ca

Bikes: Bianchi Cielo, Miyata 1000, Marinoni Special

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Colnago Sport

Colnago Sport for $500 CAD. Is it worth it? Please check the link below.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...rral_code=null
Old 11-07-22, 02:48 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2924 Post(s)
Liked 2,921 Times in 1,489 Posts
Gipimme group is pretty cool.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 11-07-22, 10:22 AM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 1,739 Times in 630 Posts
I think the price is a bit high considering the lesser components and wheels which look a bit rough. On a facebook sale this time of year I would think 400 or so CAD maybe a bit less. It is a Colnago but it is pretty much there bottom end model I would probably pass on this one you would basically be paying a 200 or so premium for the Colnago label.
Old 11-07-22, 10:59 AM
Robvolz 

Bikes: several Eddy Merz (ride like Eddy, braze like Jim!)

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1076 Post(s)
Liked 1,799 Times in 654 Posts
All the attention for possible theft, with none of the benefits that a "proper" colnago and its normal group would give.

Until your post, never heard of COLNAGO sport.

Might make a fun commuter or silly bike if the seller was willing to come down.

Robert
Old 11-08-22, 01:14 AM
URCinelliIsFake

Bikes: '88 Colnago Carbon Volo, '89 Colnago SLX Spiral Conic, '91 Colnago Master Olympic, '94 Colnago BiTitan, '99 Colnago Titanio, '89 Cinelli Su Misura MTB, '90 Cinelli Su Misura MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
An "authentic" knock-off

Colnago Sport was a stab by Colnago to enter mass-market production. Definitely much lower quality than a Colnago (minus "Sport" or "Export"). Like the Gipiemme components, which are like a cheap knock-off of Campy, the Colnago Sport is like a cheap knock-off of a Colnago. Save up a little longer and enter the brand with a Spiral Conic or a Super. You would notice the difference.
Old 11-08-22, 08:05 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3085 Post(s)
Liked 6,561 Times in 3,763 Posts
https://cycling-obsession.com/how-to...colnago-sport/

Old 11-08-22, 08:14 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
FWIW, I believe the front and rear derailers are both rebranded Simplex products. Velobase.com has examples of each.

Edit: P.S. I don't think it is worth the asking price. If it fit me, which it doesn't, I might be interested at around $250.00 USD.
Old 11-08-22, 09:39 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
Gipimme group is pretty cool.

Some French goodness on an Italian bike. Love it!
Old 11-08-22, 10:03 AM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 1,739 Times in 630 Posts
Yes Gipiemme stuff is re-braanded Simplex you can even see the Simplex model number on the RD. It is a rebranded SX-610 they just put a Gipiemme sticker on rather than Simplex pretty cheap and cheesy attempt to make the bike look all Italian.
Old 11-10-22, 05:40 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2924 Post(s)
Liked 2,921 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by zukahn1
Yes Gipiemme stuff is re-braanded Simplex you can even see the Simplex model number on the RD. It is a rebranded SX-610 they just put a Gipiemme sticker on rather than Simplex pretty cheap and cheesy attempt to make the bike look all Italian.
I never realized, or even really thought about, who’s derailleurs these were but assumed it was a copy or relabel of someone’s.

If that had a complete GipMe group I snatch it for $250-300 for the novelty of the group.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 11-13-22, 07:41 PM
gsulit@shaw.ca

Bikes: Bianchi Cielo, Miyata 1000, Marinoni Special

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Thank you all. I ended up not buying as it did not feel right about it being a real Colnago through and through. Its a good thing I didn't because this decision was made even before knowing that those Giepemme components are actually simplex stuff, I mean not to put Simplex down and all but making ti look Italian when it is French is a little iffy. Thanks again.
Old 11-13-22, 08:05 PM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Originally Posted by gsulit@shaw.ca
Thank you all. I ended up not buying as it did not feel right about it being a real Colnago through and through. Its a good thing I didn't because this decision was made even before knowing that those Giepemme components are actually simplex stuff, I mean not to put Simplex down and all but making ti look Italian when it is French is a little iffy. Thanks again.
Glad you came back to tell us how it ended up. So many come here, get some advice and we never hear back. So thanks for that!

Sometimes the best deal is the one you don't make. Maybe that's the case in this instance. If you are sold on that Marque, I'm sure you can find one that is more to your liking.

Good hunting!
Old 11-14-22, 07:29 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,269 Times in 1,272 Posts
The one thing about Colnago is that there is no shortage of them. In 1975 when mine was made , there were 8 people building bikes at Colnago , which is a lot for such a high end bike. I have a Super and love it. I bought it here on BF from a fellow member on the east coast and had it shipped out here. It was everything I expected.