Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2022.3

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2022.3

Old 07-03-22, 10:39 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1876 Post(s)
Liked 1,411 Times in 979 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Apropos of datlas's cleaning out of his Dad's storage space - when Mrs. GJ got back from SoCal the other day, she brought with her a baggie of various jewelry, which she'd offered to help her friend's family determine the value of. The baggie contained 6 watches, of which 2 were solid 14kt gold, and the other 4 were just trash. Three rings - again, 2 14kt, and one just trash. Some cufflinks with no hallmarks, but I think one pair might have been solid gold, one solid silver, and the other 2 pair just trash.

This is what happens - folks have some valuable pieces among a lot of crap. They knew what was good and what was crap, but then they got old and dotty and/or died, and to the kids it's all just "Mom and Dad's stuff", and often they'll practically give it away, either with a garage/estate sale, or to someone who will offer a single price for the lot. Talking with other watch collectors, you'd find some folks who'd say they were building the collection to leave it to their kids. But you know, kids don't care about or understand their parents' collections of anything. It ends up being stuff to get rid off after they die. I suppose I should not complain, since this is how I got a lot of my watches for so cheap - Dad or Granddad wore them for years but then maybe they stopped working and they couldn't be bothered to get them fixed, and they could get a new watch that kept better time for less than the cost of fixing the old one, so it goes in a drawer, and decades later - well see the first paragraph.
Sadly, this might be how my family views my small but growing collection of bikes (and bike components).
Old 07-03-22, 10:43 AM
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3076 Post(s)
Liked 1,784 Times in 1,132 Posts
And now, yard work commences. No power tools involved.
Old 07-03-22, 10:51 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10243 Post(s)
Liked 11,595 Times in 5,942 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Sadly, this might be how my family views my small but growing collection of bikes (and bike components).
Yeah, we'd probably be wisest to sell off when we can no longer ride all of them, but before we forget what they are!

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 07-03-22, 10:53 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2
And now, yard work commences. No power tools involved.
So, like acoustic music, or traditional archery.

Old 07-03-22, 10:56 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,277 Times in 7,225 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
So, like acoustic music, or traditional archery.
I just finished scrubbing a tile floor on my hands and knees. The cat was of know help.
Old 07-03-22, 11:37 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22512 Post(s)
Liked 8,839 Times in 4,113 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize2
Back before she died, my Mom gave my sister a gold ring, a present from Dad. Many years later sis takes it in to be resized, and it can't be done. Worthless crap.

​​​​
It’s the thought that counts. Right?
Likes For datlas:
Old 07-03-22, 11:39 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22512 Post(s)
Liked 8,839 Times in 4,113 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
I told mrs datlas that if I unexpectedly pass, to offer all my bike schwag to my cycling friends who I expect will put it to good use.

#payitforward
Likes For datlas:
Old 07-03-22, 12:08 PM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

Bikes: 1

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Quoted: 8723 Post(s)
Liked 2,854 Times in 1,673 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
I told mrs datlas that if I unexpectedly pass, to offer all my bike schwag to my cycling friends who I expect will put it to good use.

#payitforward
Have you reserved the Saturn for Velo Vol ?
Old 07-03-22, 12:09 PM
indyfabz

In the last 10 minutes I killed a tiger mosquito that was about to bite me and a spotted lantern fly nymph.
Old 07-03-22, 12:17 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9522 Post(s)
Liked 6,266 Times in 3,454 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
In the last 10 minutes I killed a tiger mosquito that was about to bite me and a spotted lantern fly nymph.
Dangerous environment.
Old 07-03-22, 01:21 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Quoted: 11889 Post(s)
Liked 6,482 Times in 3,411 Posts
Mr. B, the 26 lb. Philly cat seen here, has died. By all accounts he had a good life after being adopted in 2019.

https://www.morrisanimalrefuge.org/news/mr-b-the-chonk
So sorry to hear.
Old 07-03-22, 01:27 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Mojo31
Dangerous environment.
I’ve started seeing adult lantern flies from my office window. I’ll bet they will be all over the place in the next couple of weeks. That’s when the killing fun will start.
Old 07-03-22, 01:55 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10890 Post(s)
Liked 4,559 Times in 2,089 Posts

#payitforward
Same. I told my wife to do exactly that and don’t worry about what stuff is worth.

Old 07-03-22, 02:01 PM
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3076 Post(s)
Liked 1,784 Times in 1,132 Posts

#payitforward
One of my bikes already has a co-owner. That's a good idea though. Have them already spoken for. I'm still trying to decide whether to attempt to sell them here, or cart them north. I only have three extra frame sets that are worth anything. My piles of schwag might be worth more than the bikes.
Old 07-03-22, 02:26 PM
Mojo31
-------

#payitforward
I prepared a notebook on what to do if I croak. I have a few things of substantial value that if not sold right she could lose meaningful money, so for that I told her who to get to help her. I also gave her detailed instructions on how to collect the practice receivables, and how to take over the real estate company. I don’t want her to worry about small stuff, but don’t want her giving away stuff that could be converted to meaningful cash.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 07-03-22, 02:41 PM
indyfabz

ESPN is, right now, airing a ******** tournament.

#MustNotSeeTV

I guess you can’t say maize opening.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-03-22, 03:12 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Time to vent - apologies.

I mean, I know that my BIL is aggressively lazy, but muther ****.

The AC stopped working effectively overnight and my MIL asked him to check it out first thing in the morning. Before leaving for the day, I changed out the air filter, which still had my handwriting on it from when I changed it out... in Aug 2021.

We (wife and I and the kids) just got back from a day of being out and about on vacation to find the lazy **** laying on the couch, per usual. "Well, the fan's not spinning outside. I haven't checked the fuse out there, yet."

Why. The ****. Not? It's July in VA, you moron.

It took me 30 seconds to confirm that there is no ******g fuse and then another 60 seconds for my wife to call the heating/cooling company to find out that, hey - it's now after 5:00 and effectively the 4th, maybe we'll get back to you on Tuesday.

Lazy ******g ****.
Old 07-03-22, 03:45 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Today was a glorious day on the bike. I took the Litespeed, because I haven't ridden it in over a week and I was jonesing. Omigod! No wonder I was jonesing for it! After all the fiddling with position, now it just FITS. And with the GP5000s and adjusting the hub bearing preload with excruciating care, it really wants to just GO! It wasn't so great weatherwise - drizzly mist for the first 12 or so miles, cloudy almost the whole ride, howling headwind on the northbound trip. But the bike was comfy either in the drops or on top of the hoods with forearms parallel to the ground. This even though the bar is lower than the other bikes, but about 1/2 cm closer. So I just got low and cranked into the headwind.

At one point, a guy about my age (based on the gray hair under the helmet)rolled up beside me at a stop sign at the top of a straight downhill. We ended up playing leapfrog the next 4 miles. I didn't set out to race him. I was really just riding pretty much exactly how I normally would. He never looked over at me, that I saw, and never said a word. I think I might have said "Hey." when he firsl pulled alongside. Eventually he went straight and I went left, but because I was in front I didn't see him not turn, or I'd have wished him a nice ride.

Old 07-03-22, 04:53 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Time to vent - apologies.

I mean, I know that my BIL is aggressively lazy, but muther ****.

The AC stopped working effectively overnight and my MIL asked him to check it out first thing in the morning. Before leaving for the day, I changed out the air filter, which still had my handwriting on it from when I changed it out... in Aug 2021.

We (wife and I and the kids) just got back from a day of being out and about on vacation to find the lazy **** laying on the couch, per usual. "Well, the fan's not spinning outside. I haven't checked the fuse out there, yet."

Why. The ****. Not? It's July in VA, you moron.

It took me 30 seconds to confirm that there is no ******g fuse and then another 60 seconds for my wife to call the heating/cooling company to find out that, hey - it's now after 5:00 and effectively the 4th, maybe we'll get back to you on Tuesday.

Lazy ******g ****.
I’m confused. Did someone steal the fuse? It sounds like it was working until last night.

And damn! He hasn’t changed the filter in nearly a year? If I go 90 days in summer or winter the thing is dark gray.
Old 07-03-22, 05:01 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1876 Post(s)
Liked 1,411 Times in 979 Posts

#payitforward
That is a good suggestion; I should make some local cycling friends.

Most of the members I chat with in the Southern California subforum already have nicer bikes than what I have.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 07-03-22, 05:02 PM
Mojo31
-------

I’m confused. Did someone steal the fuse? It sounds like it was working until last night.

And damn! He hasn’t changed the filter in nearly a year? If I go 90 days in summer or winter the thing is dark gray.
We change ours at 6 months, but they are the 4” thick type.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 07-03-22, 05:02 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts

No, no - there was no fuse in the circuit in the first place. He just assumed that there was and didn't check and didn't call anyone, either.

When I changed that filter in August, it had been more than a year and a half since it had been changed. The intake was audibly groaning from the load, but he never noticed.
Old 07-03-22, 05:05 PM
Mojo31
-------

Originally Posted by WhyFi
No, no - there was no fuse in the circuit in the first place. He just assumed that there was and didn't check and didn't call anyone, either.

When I changed that filter in August, it had been more than a year and a half since it had been changed. The intake was audibly groaning from the load, but he never noticed.
Low on Freon?
Old 07-03-22, 05:22 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12635 Post(s)
Liked 7,528 Times in 3,989 Posts
Non Porsche ass of the day

Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 07-03-22, 05:24 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12635 Post(s)
Liked 7,528 Times in 3,989 Posts
Happy 4th of July, everyone!

Likes For LesterOfPuppets:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.