Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

MicroSHIFT - Who Are They?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-22, 06:06 AM
Bend0matic

Bikes: 2010 Orbea Orca SRAM Force, 2008ish aluminum hard tail 26” mountain bike and 1980 Schwinn Twinn Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

I was at a bike store recently and was told that MicroSHIFT is owned by SRAM and is their lower end brand. I had not heard of this and couldn't find anything online to substantiate this. Can anyone provide any insight into this? In the end it doesn't matter much but I'm certainly curious!
Old 08-19-22, 06:18 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
Might as well add the following in now as it'll come up.

"..and is MicroNew the same as MicroShift?"
Likes For fishboat:
Old 08-19-22, 06:52 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4231 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,806 Posts
Have never seen any evidence of that (and they don't use similar mechanisms for their shifters, so at least they don't share technology).
Old 08-19-22, 07:10 AM
gamu

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
MicroShift is a Taiwanese company, I think founded in the '80s as part of the country's broader industrialization. I can't find any evidence of it having been bought out by SRAM.

MicroShift indeed produces more budget oriented components than SRAM, more comparable to Shimano's lower end like Tiagra and that level of gravel/mountain stuff. I have MicroShift trigger shifters that I got to replace the original twist shifters on my commuter hardtail MTB. They work fine for a bike that I expect will be stolen someday, their performance is solidly in line with their price point.
Old 08-19-22, 07:25 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4231 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,806 Posts
I recently build up a bike for my daughter with their integrated brake/shift levers (and RD, had a used Ultegra FD that went on front). I like that their up and down levers are separate from each other and from the brake. They won't replace my nice Campagnolos, but it seems to be a very solid design for a fairly inexpensive setup. Shifting was fairly crisp form what I saw even under a little load (hard pedaling on flats), but it was hard for me to give it too much of a test in use as it's a frame 12 cm or so smaller than what I prefer.
Old 08-19-22, 08:26 AM
southpier

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 41 Posts
i used the bar end shifters for 8 years with no problems.
Likes For southpier:
Old 08-19-22, 08:30 AM
Bend0matic

Bikes: 2010 Orbea Orca SRAM Force, 2008ish aluminum hard tail 26” mountain bike and 1980 Schwinn Twinn Sport

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
First I've heard of MicroNEW, thank you for introducing me to another budget option! I think I will start a bicycle component company and name it MicroINSERTALLCAPSSOMETHING.

I'd consider MicroSHIFT for converting an older 3x MTB to a 1x but there are also used or downmarket options if you can live with 1x9 or 1x10.
Old 08-19-22, 08:31 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,520 Times in 7,324 Posts
Originally Posted by southpier
i used the bar end shifters for 8 years with no problems.
I have heard good things about their bar end shifters. The DA bar ends on my touring bike are showing their age. I might replace them with MicroShifts.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 08-19-22, 11:53 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,482 Times in 4,184 Posts
Originally Posted by Bend0matic
I was at a bike store recently and was told that MicroSHIFT is owned by SRAM and is their lower end brand. I had not heard of this and couldn't find anything online to substantiate this. Can anyone provide any insight into this? In the end it doesn't matter much but I'm certainly curious!
I have never heard of Microshift being owned by SRAM. This is the first time, actually. Microshift does not have any verbiage on their site to support this, nor does SRAM. SRAM very much advertises which brands they own- RockShox, ZIPP, Avid, Quark, and more.
https://www.sram.com/en/company/about/history

I would be wary of any shop that claims this sort of thing. Also, perhaps the shop is confusing SENSAH with Microshift. SENSAH is a Chinese brand that was started a handful of years ago by some people who used to work at a SRAM factory in China. Even if they are confusing the two, that sets off a signal that the person at that shop is not who should be working and advising customers.

Micronew is a brand that ripped off Microshift's external routed cable shifters. I have used two sets of Micronew and they feel and perform identically to Microshift's external routed cable shifters.

Microshift is a legitimate brand that makes road and MTB shifters. Their bar end shifters are very well made(the design should be tough to screw up) and they have expanded their lineup considerably in the last few years. They have Shimano compatible drop bar 1x, external and internal routed drop bar shifters, and even their own integrated line of 1x called ADVENT that is both flat bar and drop bar applicable. One of my family's bikes has 1x9 ADVENT and its so good I am going to put some drop bar ADVENT on one of my kid's road bikes this winter.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 08-19-22, 12:09 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
My daughter's bike has Microshift 1x9 Mezzo drivetrain on it. It's got an 11-36 cassette which provides a pretty big gear range for a kids bike. The trigger shifters work great.
I've been impressed with how well it shifts considering the price point.

I don't think SRAM has anything to do with Microshift. They seem to be direct competitors at the entry level end of things.
Old 08-19-22, 01:07 PM
Jrasero

Bikes: Scott Foil RC, Specialized Aethos

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by Bend0matic
I don't know the history of the company but I have a set of their shifters on my flatbar gravel. Frankly they shift just as good as any lower end Shimano part IMO but maybe with a more clicky feel
Old 08-19-22, 03:31 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,520 Times in 7,324 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Their bar end shifters are very well made(the design should be tough to screw up).
At one point REI was specing at least one of its touring/adventure bikes with them. Might still be. I think that’s how I first heard about them. I think I was reading a review of an REI bike.
Old 08-19-22, 03:47 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,644 Times in 826 Posts
I have some Microshift stuff on 2 bikes. It works great. I suspect the shop was conflating Microshift and Grip Shift. Grip Shift is Sram.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 08-19-22, 03:52 PM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
Griftshift??
Old 08-19-22, 08:17 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4343 Post(s)
Liked 3,978 Times in 2,659 Posts
I think it was a mistake between GripShift and MicroShift. MicroShift makes plenty of cheap stuff but they do make some decent stuff as well nothing super high end but functional. They do make shifters that others aren't making anymore like thumbies and bar end/downtube shifters which is nice.

They are not owned by SRAM unless there was a secret backdoor deal that was never mentioned anywhere and told to anyone and didn't leak out anywhere.
Old 08-20-22, 04:58 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 796 Times in 473 Posts
MicroShift is not owned by SRAM and most of their line is Shimano compatible. They make budget priced components that work reliably. Their higher end stuff is similar in weight to higher end Shimano stuff and works just as well, in my experience. The clicks are louder and shifts are more positive, which some people don't like. I find the more positive confirmation of the shift to be an improvement over Shimano's "light action" shifting.
Likes For dsaul:
Old 08-20-22, 07:11 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
If you find the long throw of shifting Shimano brake levers awkward, Microshift is the way to go.
Likes For seypat:
Old 08-20-22, 04:42 PM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 635 Post(s)
Liked 1,277 Times in 607 Posts
I have Microshift R8 brifters on a 3 X 8 drop bar 1988 GT Karakoram with 105 derailleurs and a Microshift R9 3 X 9 drivetrain on a 1990 Diamonback Interval road bike and I am quite pleased with both. I'm going R9 on another build as well.

Old 08-21-22, 06:05 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,619 Times in 2,123 Posts
I've used thumb shifters in 3x9 and replaced some Ultegra brake/shifter levers with Microsoft. Good stuff. Never heard anyone complain about them.

Old 08-21-22, 09:28 AM
GeezyRider 

Bikes: There is always room for one more.

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 388 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
I've used thumb shifters in 3x9 and replaced some Ultegra brake/shifter levers with Microsoft. Good stuff. Never heard anyone complain about them.
Only problem is the Microsoft brake/shifter levers are vulnerable to hacking.
Old 08-21-22, 10:08 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,103 Times in 1,367 Posts
It seems like Microshift is at least as good a value for dollar as its competitors. But you need a breakthrough to get household brand recognition outside of us bike nerds. Raleigh 3-speeds, Schwinn stingray, Specialized mountain bikes, Shimano shifting, RockShox. SRAM (the part of it that used to be Sachs) finally broke though on drivetrains with XX1/XO1. Basically no one cared up until then. Microshift haven't had one.

If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery then maybe we can trust them now since Micronew thinks them good enough to rip off
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 08-21-22, 06:00 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,619 Times in 2,123 Posts
Originally Posted by GeezyRider
Only problem is the Microsoft brake/shifter levers are vulnerable to hacking.
That’s why you buy the annual protection and update every week.

Likes For Trsnrtr:
Old 08-21-22, 07:47 PM
koala logs
Banned.

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts
Microshift is founded by the lead vocalist:

Likes For koala logs:
Old 08-21-22, 08:08 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,964 Times in 1,914 Posts
it's all shifty with the brand names. the meaning for COO has faded into being a multifaceted franchise.
Old 08-22-22, 03:08 AM
The Chemist

Bikes: Waltly Custom Ti // Seaboard CX01 // Dahon Boardwalk

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 528 Times in 246 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I have never heard of Microshift being owned by SRAM. This is the first time, actually. Microshift does not have any verbiage on their site to support this, nor does SRAM. SRAM very much advertises which brands they own- RockShox, ZIPP, Avid, Quark, and more.
https://www.sram.com/en/company/about/history

I would be wary of any shop that claims this sort of thing. Also, perhaps the shop is confusing SENSAH with Microshift. SENSAH is a Chinese brand that was started a handful of years ago by some people who used to work at a SRAM factory in China. Even if they are confusing the two, that sets off a signal that the person at that shop is not who should be working and advising customers.

Micronew is a brand that ripped off Microshift's external routed cable shifters. I have used two sets of Micronew and they feel and perform identically to Microshift's external routed cable shifters.

Microshift is a legitimate brand that makes road and MTB shifters. Their bar end shifters are very well made(the design should be tough to screw up) and they have expanded their lineup considerably in the last few years. They have Shimano compatible drop bar 1x, external and internal routed drop bar shifters, and even their own integrated line of 1x called ADVENT that is both flat bar and drop bar applicable. One of my family's bikes has 1x9 ADVENT and its so good I am going to put some drop bar ADVENT on one of my kid's road bikes this winter.
I have Sensah SRX Pro 1x11 on my bike and it's great. Very precise shifting for a price well below that of Shimano or SRAM. And they're legit, too, given that State bicycles uses them as their OEM drivetrain manufacturer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.