Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

ODOT adopts Oregon Coast Bike Route Plan

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-22, 10:33 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts

Oregon Department of Transportation adopted a new Oregon Coast Bike Route Plan in May 2022. I thought some of you might be interested, especially if you plan on riding the Oregon Coast.

Oregon Coast Bike Route Plan

ODOT update:
Some things are already underway, including:
  • For the second summer, we funded an OCBR Safety Education Campaign including billboards, brochures, and social media outreach.
  • We're partnering with the City of Yachats to install safety improvements along the curve south of Yachats where people are biking and hiking along the shoulder.
  • We're partnering with the City of Lincoln City to implement one of the official route changes – taking people biking off of U.S. 101 and along neighborhoods streets (a local bike route) for several miles before getting back onto U.S. 101.
  • We partnered with the City of Lincoln City to submit a Federal Lands Access Program (FLAP) grant which, if received, would fund a separated bicycle and pedestrian bridge as recommended in the OCBR Plan.
  • We submitted two additional FLAP grants to build separated paths near two interchanges – U.S. 26 (near Seaside) and OR 18 (near Lincoln City) – to improve two “critical needs” identified in the Plan.
  • We continue work on the statewide Oregon Coast Trail planning effort – working with various land manager agencies and local jurisdictions to plan for closing or improving hiking “gaps” along the highway.
  • We are pursuing designation for the OCBR to become part of the U.S. Bike Route (USBR) national network. We will be in touch with several communities as part of this effort.
  • We will update the “paper” copy of the OCBR map. Though we are living in a digital age, we still hear that many people love riding with this map!

Last edited by Doug64; 10-27-22 at 11:17 AM.
Likes For Doug64:
Old 10-27-22, 12:33 AM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Definitely interesting, thanks for posting this. 👍

I've ridden 101 a good bit in California, and been through Crescent City a couple times, but always seem to veer inland, in Oregon. The wind can be brutal, going South to North along the coast, so going North to South is what most folks recommend. 🙄😉
Old 10-27-22, 05:30 PM
IPassGas

Bikes: Schwinn, Nishiki, Santana, Trek, Rodriguez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug64
Oregon Department of Transportation adopted a new Oregon Coast Bike Route Plan in May 2022. I thought some of you might be interested, especially if you plan on riding the Oregon Coast.
Thanks for posting this. I have read parts of it, is there a timeline for the changes?
Old 10-27-22, 05:45 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2229 Post(s)
Liked 3,412 Times in 1,783 Posts
Thanks for posting this. I did this (as part of a West Coast tour) in 1991. In many ways, the Oregon portion was the highlight of that trip. Their campsites in particular were particularly amenable to bike-camping. I do remember the tunnels provided a bit of excitement. It is high time to do it again.