Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

The clicking in my saddle/seatpost is finally gone!

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Old 04-09-22, 06:25 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10899 Post(s)
Liked 7,390 Times in 4,148 Posts

Praise the cycling gods, my bike is once again silent.

In 2020 I started to hear a clicking sound when I would shift on the saddle or stand up. Taking the saddle and seatpost off and regreasing everything would silence the clicking for a bit.

Early 2021 I bought a new Brooks c17 thinking it was my rails that were clicking. The saddle was worn anyways so it was a needed buy. That solved the clicking for a little but it returned.

Mid 2021 I bought a carbon 400mm Whisky seatpost to replace my Easton 350mm seatpost thinking the issue could be that the 350mm seatpost was basically right at the limit. That resolved the clicking for a short bit, bit it returned.

This year, a new seatpost clamp has finally solved the clicking. The Hope seatpost clamp was creating the click for some reason. A Wolftooth clamp is now in the bike.
Its been a 3 outdoor rides and a 5 zwift rides and there is no sound.

Simple silence is incredible. I should have just replaced everything at once. I wear ear buds on all solo rides so the clicking was largely muted which is why I slowly figured out the issue.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 04-10-22, 01:22 PM
Gravel Rider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 63 Posts
There's a lot to be said for a quiet ride. Congrats!
Old 04-11-22, 04:00 AM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 903 Times in 486 Posts
Clicking, ticking, squeaking and creaking is the worst.
Likes For Ghazmh:
Old 04-11-22, 06:04 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked 439 Times in 312 Posts
Hope seatpost collars have that aluminum bolt that does not like to be over-torqued or it will break. I broke 2 of them! I had a recurrent ticking sound with my 350mm Ritchey Flexlogic 27.2 post in a sleeved titanium frame. I now have a titanium bolt in the Hope collar (with the standard aluminum teardrop shaped nut) and a U.S.E. Delrin sleeve and everything is quiet and has stayed quiet for 2 years. My post is at the limit line BTW.
Old 04-11-22, 09:20 AM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 425 Posts
Prolly not directly same region of issue, but I have a Spec CF post which specifically states/requires the seatrail holder cups to be lubricated where they contact the post...
I currently use a silicone all-purpose lub. It works for a time, 3 mos., this bike ridden 2x a week; then the 'clicking' returns as the lub loses effectiveness.
Anyone have same issue? What lube do you use? How long before clicking returns?
Ride On
Yuri
Old 04-16-22, 05:02 AM
Dino_Sore

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 37 Posts
Everyone, at one time or another, has had an annoying click, tick or squeak that seemed impossible to find.

The funniest one was my most recent annoying squeak on a newly built gravel bike. I was chasing everything, seat, seat post, bars, cables, etc. Finally, when riding on a dirt road, I laid my hand on top of my helmet in frustration at the noise, and the noise stopped. Turns out that the fit band in my helmet, at a certain tension, will squeak when I wear a certain cycling cap.
Likes For Dino_Sore:
Old 10-09-22, 09:51 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10899 Post(s)
Liked 7,390 Times in 4,148 Posts
It's back.
Ugh.
Old 10-12-22, 07:02 AM
Karmajack

Bikes: 2017 Trek DS3, 2021 Felt Broam 30

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
I don't want to insult you by asking if you've gone over everything in the area with the proper torque specs. Something coming loose over time methinks. I went through an similar issue that I tracked down to my B17's tension bolt.
Old 11-24-22, 07:07 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2184 Post(s)
Liked 3,336 Times in 1,741 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
It's back.
Ugh.
Is it still there? My guess is it is the radar mount touching the Wolftooth clamp. (I do the same thing to prevent post slippage, but if it moves slightly, it will touch the clamp, and possibly tick when your seat post flexes.)