Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Clipping in [Flame suit on]

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Clipping in [Flame suit on]

Old 09-10-22, 11:12 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3401 Post(s)
Liked 3,531 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
Have you considered speedplay zeros? Biggest drawback is the shoe selection if adapters are not your thing.
There's also the fun of walking on those Speedplay cleats. Less walking, actually, more mincing. Or carrying cleat clovers, having them fall off while walking about, and retracing your steps to find the lost cleat cover.

Fun stuff.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 09-10-22, 11:17 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,935 Times in 1,899 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
There's also the fun of walking on those Speedplay cleats. Less walking, actually, more mincing. Or carrying cleat clovers, having them fall off while walking about, and retracing your steps to find the lost cleat cover.

Fun stuff.
as long as the plugs are used, I've never lost a cover.... but evidently, losing a cover after taking off quickly from stop seems to be a thing I've only been unfortunate to experience...
Old 09-10-22, 11:51 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse

Fun stuff.
Have you used them recently? They've all come with walkable cleats for the last 4 or 5 years; you're not skating on steel plates anymore. I find them to be more walkable than Delta-type cleats and the older Speedplay Cafe Covers that were always getting lost.
Old 09-10-22, 12:10 PM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 859 Post(s)
Liked 552 Times in 298 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Basically you were inept and didn't bother to learn how to use the gear, and are blaming the gear for your unwillingness to master it.

Okay.
You guys defend clipping in all you want. But the data is out there. Clipping in gives modest gains in power, at best. So you can promote the additional expense and complication if you want. But I am immune to hype. The **** to worth ratio analysis shows no advantage. I could spend more time using them and I could have a $10,000 bike maintained by a shop but it still doesn't equal any advantage.

At least not in my case, not the way I ride. You want to ride clipped in, knock yourself out. Unlike some of you judgy types, I believe you can do whatever the hell makes you happy.
Likes For VegasJen:
Old 09-10-22, 12:12 PM
VegasJen

Originally Posted by freeranger
Use whatever works for you. But just because something didn't work for you doesn't mean it's a bad idea, or may not be of benefit for someone else. FWIW, I tried clipless pedals after I bought a road bike. Had ridden mtn bikes prior, with pinned flats, as the terrain I was riding sometimes demanded a dab to happen quickly and unexpectedly. Figured with the road bike, since the need to get a foot off the pedal would be forseen easily, I gave clipless a try. Wasn't for me, so went back to pinned flats on the road bike also. Clipless are not for me, but others find them useful, which is fine with me. Ride what works for you, and keeps the wheels turning!
If people actually bothered to read my post, this is pretty much exactly what I said. I don't like them and I don't see a benefit. But I clearly state that if it's your thing, then you do you.
Likes For VegasJen:
Old 09-10-22, 12:14 PM
VegasJen

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
You gave up after one 20 mile ride?
Did you actually read the post?
Old 09-10-22, 12:18 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by VegasJen
At least not in my case, not the way I ride.
This is the most insightful thing you've said. If I rode like you ride, I wouldn't use clipless, either. If you rode like I ride, you wouldn't do so without clipless pedals, either.

Unlike some of you judgy types, I believe you can do whatever the hell makes you happy.
Yet you insinuate that the majority of us are only buying in to hype, fashion and/or the emulation or pros. Seems awfully judgy to me.
Old 09-10-22, 12:20 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,464 Times in 1,830 Posts
I don't care how any of you ride. But if you make specious arguments i will note that.

Trying to "prove" that your way is better is pointless and in fact, impossible. There is no objective evidence to justify Any preference.

But seriously, if i am deaf and talk a lot about which bands don't impress me, are you going to listen closely to my opinions? If you give me two cars to test and I say one is better, are you going to listen to my judgment after you find out that i crashed the second one before the test?

You know you don't like cleats. You knew it before you started. You had a bunch of accidents because apparently you never bothered to learn to use them. You have Zero objective evidence showing they are as good, better, or less good than ... what you prefer. You never did a valid test.

You preference alone is all the validation you should need. You want it, that's it.

A lot of people start threads here here trying to "prove" that what they like is quantifiably better. It is pitiful and pathetic. Which color is better? What is the best song?

Why people cannot distinguish between subjective and objective .... maybe there is something to the "dumbing down" of the U.S. educational system.
Old 09-10-22, 12:41 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6926 Post(s)
Liked 10,926 Times in 4,667 Posts
If people actually bothered to read my post, this is pretty much exactly what I said. I don't like them and I don't see a benefit. But I clearly state that if it's your thing, then you do you.
BS. You're telling clipless riders that they've bought into the "hype." Here are some snippets from your earlier posts:

You guys defend clipping in all you want. But the data is out there. Clipping in gives modest gains in power, at best. So you can promote the additional expense and complication if you want. But I am immune to hype. The **** to worth ratio analysis shows no advantage.
I suppose if you do a lot of riding in the rain or snow or an oil storm(?) then I can see how keeping your feet clipped to the pedals could give you some reassurance. So there's that. And if I was ever sponsored by a manufacturer that required me using their product, sure,
And the data is actually quite mixed -- with plenty of it demonstrating physio and mechanical advantages to riding clipless -- like this study. And such studies don't even begin to discuss (much less measure) the advantages in bike handling, the reduction in crashes and skinned knees, and the reduced physical and mental effort provided by NOT having to keep thinking about and adjusting the position of feet on pedals.

You're a novice rider who tried clipless for a few rides and then comes onto a cycling forum (in which the average member has vastly more experience and knowledge than you) to tell a whole bunch of us that we're fools. You've got quite a Dunning Kruger effect going on.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 09-10-22, 12:49 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3933 Post(s)
Liked 7,255 Times in 2,935 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
You're a novice rider who tried [insert choice here] for a few rides and then comes onto a cycling forum (in which the average member has vastly more experience and knowledge than you) to tell a whole bunch of us that we're fools.
There seems to be a lot of that going around.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 09-10-22, 02:51 PM
VegasJen

Originally Posted by WhyFi
This is the most insightful thing you've said. If I rode like you ride, I wouldn't use clipless, either. If you rode like I ride, you wouldn't do so without clipless pedals, either.

Yet you insinuate that the majority of us are only buying in to hype, fashion and/or the emulation or pros. Seems awfully judgy to me.
I made the attempt to use "clipless" pedals. The fact is the data doesn't support the efficiency argument. Not my opinion, but studies by people that live and breathe cycling. So that leaves really only two viable arguments. 1) you feel more in control and stable being clipped in. That's a valid observation, and I respect that. 2) you're buying all the kit to look like the "big boys". If that's your thing, that's fine too. I don't know why you choose to and I don't care. But you're inferring that I'm judging everybody against the gotta-have-the-gear standard. I'm not. That may be a factor, but it's not a deciding factor.

And the fact that so many of you have your panties in a wad over my opinion does speak to the issue all by itself.
Old 09-10-22, 02:55 PM
VegasJen

Originally Posted by Maelochs
I don't care how any of you ride. But if you make specious arguments i will note that.

Trying to "prove" that your way is better is pointless and in fact, impossible. There is no objective evidence to justify Any preference.

But seriously, if i am deaf and talk a lot about which bands don't impress me, are you going to listen closely to my opinions? If you give me two cars to test and I say one is better, are you going to listen to my judgment after you find out that i crashed the second one before the test?

You know you don't like cleats. You knew it before you started. You had a bunch of accidents because apparently you never bothered to learn to use them. You have Zero objective evidence showing they are as good, better, or less good than ... what you prefer. You never did a valid test.

You preference alone is all the validation you should need. You want it, that's it.

A lot of people start threads here here trying to "prove" that what they like is quantifiably better. It is pitiful and pathetic. Which color is better? What is the best song?

Why people cannot distinguish between subjective and objective .... maybe there is something to the "dumbing down" of the U.S. educational system.
I said in my original post that they don't work for me. I don't like them. I think I gave them a fair shot. In case some of you FAILED to read my original post, I have more 200 miles over 8 or 9 rides between the SPDs and the Looks. I think the SPDs were better in that they were easier to get out of, but they could be pretty finicky to get into also. It still doesn't change the fact that for the riding I do (paved roads in generally dry, clear conditions) they're little more than expensive kit with little return on investment.

You do you and I'll do me.
Old 09-10-22, 02:58 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10943 Post(s)
Liked 7,469 Times in 4,179 Posts
VegasJen - learn to shift. Also, I can ride atop(not clipped in) my spd pedals without issue. If one isn't clipped and the other is, just pedal with the clipped in leg while your unclipped foot attaches to the pedal. Pretty simple.

But most importantly - learn to shift. You won't then get stuck in a bad gear riding up a hill.
Old 09-10-22, 02:59 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,297 Times in 1,109 Posts
I'm guessing now (and I should have known by the mention of flame suit in the thread title) that you just want to argue about clipless pedals. I think you could have learned more and perhaps got better results had you posted something more along the line of asking for tips how to use foot retention and using the resources of this board's membership rather than alienating some of the people you think have panties in a wad.

Some of the more notorious trolls have recently been banned otherwise they would perhaps join in with you.

Old 09-10-22, 03:02 PM
WhyFi

But you're inferring that I'm judging everybody against the gotta-have-the-gear standard. I'm not.
I'm not inferring anything, I'm going by statements that you've made.

And the fact that so many of you have your panties in a wad over my opinion does speak to the issue all by itself.
I can't speak for others, but my panties aren't in a wad - panties would be inappropriate under bibs, we've discussed this.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 09-10-22, 03:18 PM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 702 Posts
The fact is the data doesn't support the efficiency argument.
Some data doesn't support the efficiency argument, that's true. However, you may be confusing efficiency with efficacy.

As I wrote elsewhere: One thing that often gets overlooked when folks cite studies on "Pedaling Efficiency" (that demonstrate the downstroke produces positive torque while the upstroke produces negative torque) and conclude that this must be a reason why clipless pedals or toeclips are unnecessary, is that they may be confusing Efficiency with Efficacy.

Efficiency is a fairly objective measurement; it's defined as the ratio of the useful work performed by a machine or in a process to the total energy expended (or heat taken in).

Yes, putting all of your force into the downstroke of a pedal (and little-to-none into the upstroke) will produce more useful work -- make the bike go faster or farther -- or it will expend less energy, than having a uniform pedal stroke with consistent power around the full 360°.

But often our cycling goals aren't concerned with absolute Efficiency; our goals while riding aren't necessarily to always Maximize The Ratio Of Useful Work To Energy Expended. Sometimes our cycling goals are a bit more abstract

...like, Win The Race.

Or Get To The End Of The Ride Without Bonking.

This is where Efficacy trumps Efficiency. Achieving these abstract goals often requires that you temporarily ride in an inefficient manner. Because pulling on the upstroke or applying power through all 360° of the pedal stroke can distribute the workload to less-sore/tired muscles, and/or it can allow for more instantaneous acceleration. And being able to selectively do those things can often allow the cyclist to be more effective at achieving their ultimate goal.

And clipless pedals or toe clips have been shown empirically to aid the Efficacy of those strategies.
Likes For Bob Ross:
Old 09-10-22, 03:35 PM
growlerdinky
Duke Ulysses

Bikes: An old orange one for dirt, and for the other stuff: a white one, a kinda mint green one, and a black one.

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 86 Posts
as a rider who has been "clipped in" since 1994....

cool. you do you.
Likes For growlerdinky:
Old 09-10-22, 03:41 PM
fujidon

Bikes: Fuji Pro, Raleigh Team, touring bike, hybrid

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 44 Posts
I made the attempt to use "clipless" pedals. The fact is the data doesn't support the efficiency argument. Not my opinion, but studies by people that live and breathe cycling. So that leaves really only two viable arguments. 1) you feel more in control and stable being clipped in. That's a valid observation, and I respect that. 2) you're buying all the kit to look like the "big boys". If that's your thing, that's fine too. I don't know why you choose to and I don't care. But you're inferring that I'm judging everybody against the gotta-have-the-gear standard. I'm not. That may be a factor, but it's not a deciding factor.

You're looking for an argument and you created one.
Take the advice that you find useful and ignore the rest. If you insist on things like "the data doesn't support". you're just being argumentative and contrary.
And then you get pissy because because not everyone agrees with you,
Feel free to ride the way you like, but don't come here and tell everyone else they're wrong.

Some people enjoy the sport of debate for its own sake. I'm not one of them. I think you might be.
Likes For fujidon:
Old 09-10-22, 03:41 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10392 Post(s)
Liked 11,842 Times in 6,062 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi

Yeah, that.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 09-10-22, 03:50 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

...But the data is out there...
Originally Posted by Koyote
And the data is actually quite mixed....
... The fact is the data doesn't support the efficiency argument....
Originally Posted by Bob Ross
Some data doesn't support the efficiency argument, that's true.
Jesus, people! "Data" is the PLURAL!!! "The data ARE out there"..."the data DON'T support the argument."
If you're going to waste time arguing about personal preferences as if they're empirically derived, you could at least do it grammatically.
/rant

Likes For genejockey:
Old 09-10-22, 03:56 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10943 Post(s)
Liked 7,469 Times in 4,179 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Jesus, people! "Data" is the PLURAL!!!
I believe you meant to post- data are the plural.
...kidding.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 09-10-22, 03:59 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Quoted: 2220 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,774 Posts
The word data is not a plural. There is one word. Geese is a single word for more than one goose. Mice is a single word for more than one mouse. Data is a single word for more than one datum.

The data themselves are plural.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 09-10-22, 03:59 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

BTW, for the OP - as someone above said, you'd benefit from learning how and when to shift. Also, you might benefit from spending time and effort on bike set up and maintenance. With the derailleurs and shifters set up properly, and shifted properly, you shouldn't find yourself stalling out and dropping the chain, pedal type notwithstanding.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 09-10-22, 04:02 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
The word data is not a plural. There is one word. Geese is a single word for more than one goose. Mice is a single word for more than one mouse. Data is a single word for more than one datum.

The data themselves are plural.
I'm sorry, but you're wrong. The singular is "datum" and even if it weren't "Data" takes the plural. "These are the data" "The data show thus-and-so".

Old 09-10-22, 04:03 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I believe you meant to post- data are the plural.
...kidding.
Right, because as written, it was talking about the word, not the data.

Likes For genejockey:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.