Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Looking ahead

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Looking ahead

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-22, 06:09 AM
rvman

Bikes: Jamis commuter 2 , engwe EP-2 Pro 750 watt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 21 Posts
Looking ahead

I currently do not have any winter cycling pants. Just need some warm wind resistant not necessarily rain proof and no lycra please. What brand works good?
Old 10-06-22, 09:20 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked 783 Times in 413 Posts
Personally, IMO, “brand” is not the first thing I consider with regard to garments for cycling. Over the years, especially for winter gear, I’ve spent big bucks, and purchased some “brand name” articles that absolutely suck for their ‘intended’ use. On the other hand, some of the best articles I have are either unrecognizable, unknown brand names, and/or are articles that aren’t even marketed/sold/intended as cycling attire…but work well for it. That isn’t to say the well-known brands don’t sell useful articles that work well. Some brand name things I have work very well. But think outside the box. Look around at winter attire for other outdoor activities and consider how they might adapt to cycling. Look for the fabric used, and how the article is constructed/assembled rather than brand name. For example…the absolute best winter cycling gloves I have are not gloves at all, but water/wind proof mittens that I got for $10 (US) at a close-out job lot store.

Dan
Old 10-06-22, 01:09 PM
b88

Bikes: Specialized

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by rvman
I currently do not have any winter cycling pants. Just need some warm wind resistant not necessarily rain proof and no lycra please. What brand works good?

Showers Pass makes a new supposedly trim fitting pair called Timberline pants. However I have yet to find any reviews on this.
Likes For b88:
Old 10-06-22, 01:17 PM
rvman

b88, thanks. I'll look into those.
Old 10-06-22, 01:43 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
Originally Posted by b88
Showers Pass makes a new supposedly trim fitting pair called Timberline pants. However I have yet to find any reviews on this.
good brand not cheap, I have a pair of double layer rain pants by them. I would not recommend sizing up, I did that & mine are actually a bit too big. fwiw - I never really say that about cycling specific stuff

& there's this thread Alternatives to tights for cooler weather
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 10-06-22, 03:11 PM
parkbrav

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 97 Posts
I went to the local Columbia OUTLET store up in Kittery Maine and bought myself a pair of Columbia Rain Pants for like $20-30 and they've lasted...oh five years. They became redundant when I installed the fenders. I won't be cycling much this winter (only to the store and back) so I might use them more again this year.

So actually believe it or not they are very warm. They work like a wind breaker on your lower core, and when you pedal the rain pants trap the heat in the lower quadrant. They are not ventilated however, so you may need to shower after you use them, depending on how far you go and what you're using them for
Old 10-06-22, 03:22 PM
rvman

Thanks for all the ideas everyone. This mornings ride kind of caught me off guard. Finger tips got pretty cold. I was also in shorts, but in my defense it was sunny , and it's still Fall. ;-)>
Old 10-07-22, 02:22 PM
b88

Bikes: Specialized

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 44 Posts
Thanks for all the ideas everyone. This mornings ride kind of caught me off guard. Finger tips got pretty cold. I was also in shorts, but in my defense it was sunny , and it's still Fall. ;-)>
https://bermstyle.com/review-showers...berline-pants/