Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Windproof cycling jacket and gloves

Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Old 10-22-22, 07:27 PM
aikigreg
Recumbent Ninja

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Looked through other threads but they focused on other priorities. My commute is 7 miles and it doesn't get THAT cold here (low of 35 most of the winter) but the wind is bitter on me and my arthritis. Saw a great form fitting cycling jacket at REI today but the sleeves had no gathers and would funnel frigid air right up them in the recumbent position. Need something that will work both on uprights and bents. Ideas?
Old 10-22-22, 09:06 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2473 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 513 Posts
No cuff or gathers on the sleeves but otherwise 'form fitting'?? Hmmm. Still, will you be wearing gloves? Some gloves have 'gauntlet' cuffs. I also have some pants cuff ankle straps that I no longer use because they kept slipping down. Seem almost ideal for your application.
Old 10-22-22, 09:29 PM
aikigreg
Recumbent Ninja

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, snug for a jacket, loose for a jersey. Won't flap much in the wind. I'll link it below. But the cuffs for like bell bottoms. I'm the recumbent position with my arms straight out it will funnel the wind right up the arm like a ram air scoop on a dodge charger! It'd be pretty drafty on a road bike too for that matter. I'm looking for something like this that has some form of closure for the cuff.
https://www.rei.com/product/157089/r...ng-jacket-mens

Originally Posted by Leisesturm
No cuff or gathers on the sleeves but otherwise 'form fitting'?? Hmmm. Still, will you be wearing gloves? Some gloves have 'gauntlet' cuffs. I also have some pants cuff ankle straps that I no longer use because they kept slipping down. Seem almost ideal for your application.
Old 10-22-22, 10:29 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2473 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 513 Posts
That doesn't look so bad. I'd wear it on a recumbent. A hood scoop doesn't usually have an arm stuck in it. But I have a couple of these and they work just fine. Mine are from five or more years ago and very different color schemes but essentially the same jacket. Pockets across the back though. Useless on the bents. I ride those less and less these days.
Old 10-23-22, 07:55 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked 758 Times in 407 Posts
Under the “features” it says “Shaped, adjustable cuffs with knit binding form a weather seal over your gloves.” But reading the reviews I get the impression the cuffs aren’t adjustable. A couple said they had velcro straps attached after they received it. I like the idea of tucking the cuffs into the funnel cuffs on your gloves. Otherwise looks like a good jacket.

Dan
Old 10-23-22, 08:59 AM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
I usually go to thrift stores for my cycling gear. Lots of great deals you can mix and match and it doesn't cost much.
Likes For alloo:
Old 10-23-22, 03:05 PM
aikigreg
Recumbent Ninja

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I tried them on in the store. Even the richest winter gloves wouldn't fill the space. They're definitely not adjustable and no straps. But they are shaped to cover more of your hand so they don't ride up and expose your wrists to the cold which is brilliant. If they only had sometime to tighten the cuff they'd be perfect.
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
Under the “features” it says “Shaped, adjustable cuffs with knit binding form a weather seal over your gloves.” But reading the reviews I get the impression the cuffs aren’t adjustable. A couple said they had velcro straps attached after they received it. I like the idea of tucking the cuffs into the funnel cuffs on your gloves. Otherwise looks like a good jacket.

Dan
Old 10-23-22, 05:30 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked 758 Times in 407 Posts
I think you misunderstood. Get gloves with long funnel cuffs and put the sleeve inside the glove cuff.

Dan

Originally Posted by aikigreg
I tried them on in the store. Even the richest winter gloves wouldn't fill the space. They're definitely not adjustable and no straps. But they are shaped to cover more of your hand so they don't ride up and expose your wrists to the cold which is brilliant. If they only had sometime to tighten the cuff they'd be perfect.
Old 10-23-22, 06:47 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
If you really need total wind protection, Polartec WindPro fleece is effective. Myself, though, I don't mind wind getting through the knit of my glittens. I can feel it, but, in 35f degree weather, my hands are still plenty warm in mitten-mode. Mittens are that much more effective than gloves at keeping hands warm.

As for protection for your arms, get hand-wear that have wide cuffs that can cinch closed over your sleeves. Look at what people typically wear while snowboarding.