Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Winter clothing guide??

Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Winter clothing guide??

Old 04-06-20, 12:48 PM
jskash

Bikes: 2021 Specialized Sirrus 6 and 2018 Giant Escape Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
A real rain jacket

I have purchased at least five jackets in the past years that purported to be rain jackets. They weren't close and all were a waste of money. I finally broke down and ordered a Showers Pass Elite 2.1 jacket. I had the opportunity to ride in a pretty good downpour this morning. The jacket was flawless. It kept me completely dry except for a little dampness on my jersey sleeves. I should made this purchase years ago. Below is the link to the jacket on the Showers Pass website. It's on sale now too.
https://www.showerspass.com/collecti...nt=27453944645

Last edited by jskash; 04-06-20 at 12:55 PM.
Old 04-13-20, 04:35 AM
haphaeu

Bikes: n-1

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jskash
I have purchased at least five jackets in the past years that purported to be rain jackets. They weren't close and all were a waste of money. I finally broke down and ordered a Showers Pass Elite 2.1 jacket. I had the opportunity to ride in a pretty good downpour this morning. The jacket was flawless. It kept me completely dry except for a little dampness on my jersey sleeves. I should made this purchase years ago. Below is the link to the jacket on the Showers Pass website. It's on sale now too.

Would you mind sharing which jackets did not work? Were they not watertight enough? Or not ventilated enough (humidity build up in the inside)

Five jackets is a lot! I commute in cold rainy weather often and my good old Gore jacket is holding as new for five years and counting. On the expensive side, but 5+ years made it a good investment after all.

I think it is difficult to beat goretex for cold+rain. If it gets warm, different story.
Old 04-13-20, 05:58 AM
jskash

Bikes: 2021 Specialized Sirrus 6 and 2018 Giant Escape Disc

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
[QUOTE=haphaeu;21415314]Would you mind sharing which jackets did not work? Were they not watertight enough? Or not ventilated enough (humidity build up in the inside)

All the jackets I bought were under $30, which may be the issue. And yes, none of the jackets were watertight enough or ventilated at all.
Old 08-22-23, 03:10 AM
George P

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I ride down to -10 degrees Celsius, the last winters are warm and dry, there is almost no snow. Warm socks, warm sneakers (I wear straps). Jeans with temobelem, jacket, jacket, helmet, gloves.
Old 08-22-23, 01:40 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
Originally Posted by jskash
great brand. I have their "transit" pants

https://showerspass.com/products/mens-transit-pant

fyi - no need to size up. I sized up but I could have gotten my normal size, but these aren't too bad

I like the bottom cuffs a lot

Last edited by rumrunn6; 12-09-23 at 10:34 AM.
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 11-05-23, 12:46 PM
Bikewolf

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Batstar
Has anyone ever used gaiters on their winter rides?
No, or maybe yes. Because these share the name:

Bike Gaiter (short)

I sometimes use them while commuting, when it rains.
Just a shame gaiters like these wear out quickly and that alternatives are often cycling shoe specific.
Old 11-05-23, 06:43 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikewolf
No, or maybe yes. Because these share the name:

Bike Gaiter (short)

I sometimes use them while commuting, when it rains.
Just a shame gaiters like these wear out quickly and that alternatives are often cycling shoe specific.
ooh interesting! which are those? got a link?

not what I think of, when I hear "gaiters"
Old 11-05-23, 11:17 PM
Bikewolf

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
@rumrunn6:
VAUDE | Bike Gaiter (short), black or yellow
Likes For Bikewolf:
Old 12-05-23, 10:50 PM
Thigh Master
No Pain, No Pizza

Bikes: 2015 Tarmac Pro Disc, '99 Burley Duet, '10 Velo Vie Vitesse 300R, '94 Trek 2120, '90 Cannondale SR 600, '79 Ross Super Gran Tour, '76 Raleigh Record

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 19 Posts
Winter Game Changers

These items have been worth the money to keep me comfy commuting down a winter. Single digits are tough when above 20 mph and not pedaling hard. Otherwise these are great additions the past few years. The Bar Ends alone are incredible (unless windy).

Incredible. Barely need a warm glove of any kind unless below freezing and then still don’t need much.

My version is a couple years old and going strong. Very comfortable and works well with my goggles in terms of lens fog control.

Like the Bar Mitts - total game changers. After years of covers, socks, other so-called high end winter boots- these did the trick. I use them for road biking commute in the winter.

Another super pricey item but amazingly worth the money. Comfortable, layers well, great with wind and precipitation on my freezing commute down the mountain.
Likes For Thigh Master:
Old 12-08-23, 08:14 AM
CaptainMay

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Awesome clothes. However mittens.. I tried use such but they never fit me well. I feel uncimfortable when I drive in them.