Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fatbikes
Reload this Page >

Fat Bike Conversion?

Notices
Fatbikes Designed for use in sand, mud or snow, Fat bikes are the right choice for true all-terrain riding. Check here for the latest on these fun, adventurous two-wheeled machines.

Fat Bike Conversion?

Old 02-17-22, 11:03 PM
lurch0038

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Fat Bike Conversion?

Have a yellow Surly ICT and thinking about converting the wheels to 29s. I added new wheels to my current ICT with an Onyx rear hub, dropper post, Rogue Panda frame bag, pedals and Brooks seat.....nice setup actually! I ride the ICT everywhere from local single track, rail trails, gravel roads, beach and snow. Love the ICT and where it has taken me but I am looking for something a little more "sporty". I have seen the recent Ghost Grappler and it looks like the sweet spot between my DT (road) and ICT (everything else) but is it worth buying a new bike, upgrading the stock parts and adding a frame bag vs just buying new wheels for the ICT that I have that is ready to go.
Would it be better to buy the Ghost Grappler frame and build vs full bike and just replace the wheels?
TIA!
Old 02-18-22, 07:21 AM
sloppy12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 147 Posts
I dont think the ICT will be a GG with a tire swap. But I would probably go with the back up wheel set. I have both 26 and 27.5+ for my fatty and swap when the mood strikes. If I was gonna bike pack with the fat bike it would be on plus tires..
Old 02-18-22, 10:36 AM
lurch0038

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sloppy12
I dont think the ICT will be a GG with a tire swap. But I would probably go with the back up wheel set. I have both 26 and 27.5+ for my fatty and swap when the mood strikes. If I was gonna bike pack with the fat bike it would be on plus tires..
I agree....the ICT is a hell of a machine but using the ICT as a medium bike packing rig is like using a nuclear bomb to kill a fly.

I was considering doing a complete build of the GG but realized that the only upgrade I would probably need is the rear hub and adding of a frame bag....not going through the same hub disaster I went through with my DT and ICT. I figured that if I am going to spend the cash on a high end set of wheels and hub I might as well spend a few buck more and get a new "sportier" version of the ICT.
Old 02-19-22, 06:46 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
My experience is that second wheelsets grow into second bikes.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 03-21-22, 04:35 PM
mauricesnail 

Bikes: bridgestone mb-1, rb-t, and xo-2

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
I like having a "summer wheelset," but only when I remember to give them a spin every few weeks to keep the tubeless sealant alive