Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

18mph pace

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

18mph pace

Old 07-17-22, 06:24 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
As with any athletic endeavor, the most important factor is if you chose your parents/grandparents/ancestors correctly. Hard work will only get you so far. Same for equipment upgrades. Sprints and distance are 2 different animals anyway. Just be the best you can be, but don't beat yourself up. Enjoy yourself and the process/activity. Otherwise, you might be a one and doner that becomes a spectator. Last place in the activity is still better than watching from the sidelines.
Likes For seypat:
Old 07-17-22, 06:31 PM
seypat

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
I stopped going there years ago because of the attitude. Most triathletes are incredibly welcoming and friendly people. Slowtwitch is... well, not that.
I agree. I do 1 or 2 every other year. Then I'll say never again because it sucks. But thinking about it, it's not really that bad. It's the attitude of some of the people that make it suck.
Old 07-17-22, 06:52 PM
seypat

I typed out a few rude replies and cancelled each time. Sorry about him; just ignore him. Easier said than done I know, but really. Come on over to Addiction if you want to chat tri - I used to be a hardcore tri freak and there are one or two others who dabble in it over there. It can be a bit rough around the edges but nothing like that.
No reason for posts like #20. You know from personal experience that being out there in any kind of form, toeing the line/competing is a huge accomplishment.(Good comeback, BTW) Just because people aren't on the podium doesn't mean they not trying.
Old 07-17-22, 06:59 PM
NitroExpress

Bikes: 1974 Mirella ~ Campy Record Group, 1985 Maruishi Mountain Ace 18, 1999 Waterford 2200, 2023 Poseidon X Ambition (with lots of upgrades)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 23 Posts
Maybe, but here is your original post: "Did a sprint triathlon in Long Beach this morning. 12.28 mile course in 40:45 = 18mph pace. My goal has been to break 20mph on a timed circuit. I was saving a little bit for the run, but not that much. If I had just gone balls out, maybe 18.5mph but I'm still a long way from 20mph sustained pace. But that's still pretty good, right?"

What info have you given?
How old are you?
What kind of shape are you in?
How much do you ride?
Sounds like your looking for Kudos!
18 mph would be great for me!
My son would do this on a bad day, with a hangover!
What is the point of your post?
Old 07-17-22, 07:10 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 327 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasJen
I do what I can with my equipment. I know some people hate them but I have clamp on aero bars for my bike, not so much for the aero but to relieve arm fatigue. Still, I'm sure it's not hurting my aero either. Once I finish school, I'm going to look for a decent used tri bike. I have no idea if that would help at all but I'd really like to try one.
If it's got a decent set of deep section wheels AND you can get yourself into a more aerodynamic position compared to your current road bike with clip-ons, then yes it will help to an extent. Is it the difference between 18mph and 20mph? Possibly, depending on how "un-aero" you are now. You still have to pedal hard though.

Don't get too caught up in the 20mph number. Small incremental improvements on the bike and the run will net big time gains!

Originally Posted by base2
Any yahoo can step out their door & jog their way to injury in the hopes of attending an event.
Can confirm... 😔
​​​​​​​
Old 07-17-22, 07:16 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
No reason for posts like #20. You know from personal experience that being out there in any kind of form, toeing the line/competing is a huge accomplishment.(Good comeback, BTW) Just because people aren't on the podium doesn't mean they not trying.
To be clear, in case it wasn't (to you or VegasJen or anyone else) the rude reply was to dipstick, not the OP. Yes exactly, and while I was reasonably successful at short-course tri I spent some time in high school earning my share of DFLs but zero DNFs, so I know how hard it is. Only respect.
Old 07-17-22, 08:20 PM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Liked 552 Times in 298 Posts
That's testimony to mental and physical toughness.

It was indeed. Addiction is the thread below; there's a whole long story behind the name but it's turned into a long-running banter thread of a few of us keeping in touch over the years. They saw me go through a ton of dating trouble and two cities and getting married, going through stages of riding or not, and so on. It features kids, pets, woodworking, cars, coffee, kitchen gear, football, and even the occasional bike.

https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...-2022-3-a.html
I was in the Marine Corps. They pretty much beat all the quit out of me. I'll check out that thread. Sounds like an OT kind of thing.
Originally Posted by seypat
As with any athletic endeavor, the most important factor is if you chose your parents/grandparents/ancestors correctly. Hard work will only get you so far. Same for equipment upgrades. Sprints and distance are 2 different animals anyway. Just be the best you can be, but don't beat yourself up. Enjoy yourself and the process/activity. Otherwise, you might be a one and doner that becomes a spectator. Last place in the activity is still better than watching from the sidelines.
Man, you ain't kidding! I chose poorly. The only other "athlete" in my family is my brother rode in local competitive races when he was younger, but that was also 25 years ago. The thing about coming from low means often is putting food on the table and keeping the lights on demands more time than athletic endeavors. My generation (me, my brother and cousins in the same age bracket) are really the first generation in my family to have discretionary income.
Originally Posted by NitroExpress
Maybe, but here is your original post: "Did a sprint triathlon in Long Beach this morning. 12.28 mile course in 40:45 = 18mph pace. My goal has been to break 20mph on a timed circuit. I was saving a little bit for the run, but not that much. If I had just gone balls out, maybe 18.5mph but I'm still a long way from 20mph sustained pace. But that's still pretty good, right?"

What info have you given?
How old are you?
What kind of shape are you in?
How much do you ride?
Sounds like your looking for Kudos!
18 mph would be great for me!
My son would do this on a bad day, with a hangover!
What is the point of your post?
OK, since you seem to be walking back your jerk post, I'll give you some current stats.
52 years old
Overweight, but physically good shape. I'm always bordering on "Athena" qualifications. I work more for endurance than maximum speed.
I ride 50-75 miles a week. It's one of several activities in my training regimen.
Point of my post? Sometimes you just want to open a conversation.
Obviously, there are some here that have been competitive athletes most of their lives. That's not me. When I was in the military, I was in pretty good shape. I got out and didn't maintain it. Cancer 12 years ago kind of opened my eyes to taking better care of myself. Chemo and radiation later, I try to do more to stay in shape. Physically, I have a pretty solid routine. Admittedly, my downfall is my diet. I know that. I own it. I'm working on it.

Originally Posted by tempocyclist
If it's got a decent set of deep section wheels AND you can get yourself into a more aerodynamic position compared to your current road bike with clip-ons, then yes it will help to an extent. Is it the difference between 18mph and 20mph? Possibly, depending on how "un-aero" you are now. You still have to pedal hard though.

Don't get too caught up in the 20mph number. Small incremental improvements on the bike and the run will net big time gains!

Can confirm... 😔
​​​​​​​
I'm not hung up on the 20mph number. I mean, I would like to get there, but if it doesn't happen, it doesn't happen. I think I'm more realistic about what is possible now than I was when I set that target. I may set up my phone to take a pic of me on my bike (if I can figure out how by myself) just so you can see what I'm working with. If I eventually do get a tri bike, the goal isn't going to be so much to get to that magic, and completely arbitrary, number. It will just be to see some improvement.
To be clear, in case it wasn't (to you or VegasJen or anyone else) the rude reply was to dipstick, not the OP. Yes exactly, and while I was reasonably successful at short-course tri I spent some time in high school earning my share of DFLs but zero DNFs, so I know how hard it is. Only respect.
I completely get where you're coming from. I'm a middle-of-the-pack "athlete" in spite of my physicality.
Likes For VegasJen:
Old 07-17-22, 08:43 PM
VegasJen

Just as a point of reference, this is the bike I use for triathlons. It's a 49cm Specialized Roubiax. Someone is probably going to ask what year but I have no idea. I bought it used. Best guess, early 2000s.
And this is my position when I have the opportunity. Looking at it now, I'm not particularly aerodynamic.

Old 07-17-22, 08:57 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Liked 1,621 Times in 927 Posts
Thanks for the pic for reference. Others can nit•pik & quibble about the finer points of X, or, y.

I just wanted to say you're out "gettin' after it" & you did inspire me to go out and do my first run in a year since my grandmother died.

It was both humbling & good at the same time. I actually kind of liked it in a way that cycling hasn't provided in a while.

Thanks
base2

Car dependency is a tax.
Likes For base2:
Old 07-17-22, 09:32 PM
VegasJen

Originally Posted by base2
Thanks for the pic for reference. Others can nit•pik & quibble about the finer points of X, or, y.

I just wanted to say you're out "gettin' after it" & you did inspire me to go out and do my first run in a year since my grandmother died.

It was both humbling & good at the same time. I actually kind of liked it in a way that cycling hasn't provided in a while.

Thanks
base2
It makes me happy that my meager post can be inspiring. I also find activity to be therapeutic. Sorry to hear about grandmother. I lost both of mine back in the 80s.
Old 07-17-22, 09:39 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked 2,170 Times in 1,462 Posts
18 mph on the bike is good considering this is just your fifth. What really improved by overall times was swimming with a club and getting my technique down. Of the three legs, getting proper technique in the water really makes a difference. Watch some videos and have someone critique you.

Your run times will get much lower too with adding distance and going with a group if you can. Do some runs at an easy pace longer than your tri distance.

If you want to get down to a 20 mph cycling average, do accelerations on you rides where you average something like 21 or 22 for short periods. Progress comes slow but keep at it
Old 07-17-22, 10:14 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,279 Times in 2,940 Posts
Did a sprint triathlon in Long Beach this morning. 12.28 mile course in 40:45 = 18mph pace. My goal has been to break 20mph on a timed circuit. I was saving a little bit for the run, but not that much. If I had just gone balls out, maybe 18.5mph but I'm still a long way from 20mph sustained pace.

But that's still pretty good, right?
Shouldn't you be able that question yourself by looking at the times of your competitors?
Old 07-17-22, 10:57 PM
VegasJen

Originally Posted by StanSeven
18 mph on the bike is good considering this is just your fifth. What really improved by overall times was swimming with a club and getting my technique down. Of the three legs, getting proper technique in the water really makes a difference. Watch some videos and have someone critique you.

Your run times will get much lower too with adding distance and going with a group if you can. Do some runs at an easy pace longer than your tri distance.

If you want to get down to a 20 mph cycling average, do accelerations on you rides where you average something like 21 or 22 for short periods. Progress comes slow but keep at it
I have been watching some Youtube videos of swimming techniques and that really did help a lot. My biggest problem is living in the desert so swim training is limited. We have a public pool but it's only open in the summer months, so I started swimming last month and I'll swim until they shut it down next month. After that, if I want to swim, I'll have to drive into Vegas to a pool or out to Lake Mead.
I try to run once a week. I don't run any more than that because I don't want to beat up my joints any more. If my orthopedic doctor knew I was running at all, he'd have a fit. But I try not to run any less than that either. I have found, at least in my experience, you can't do any other exercise that is a comparable analog for actual running if the goal is to improve performance. I trained for months on an elliptical specifically to reduce joint damage. I was pretty quick, averaging a 7 minute/mile pace. But elliptical pace doesn't translate into real-world running pace.
One thing I did that I noticed an improvement was add in wind sprints. About once a month, I will do 100m dashes, 20-25 sprints. I only do it once a month because I am absolutely wrecked for 2-3 days after, but I know it's helped with my long distance as well. I guess that's the same idea you're suggesting on the bike. I'll give it a try.
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Shouldn't you be able that question yourself by looking at the times of your competitors?
I guess it's relative. Sometimes I win my age bracket, which is easy when I'm the only one in it. So then I have to compare to women that are either older or younger. Sometimes I win that comparison, most of the time not. But there's also the variable of the other athletes. For some of these women, it's their first, for others, they've been doing triathlons for decades. I've been faster than 30 year old women and slower than 60 year old women. It all depends. Depends on everybody's individual condition. It depends on how strong they are in the various events. It depends on training, form, preparation, equipment. So many variables. This last tri was the biggest field I've seen, over 700 participants. There were almost 30 women in my age group alone. I was in the 3rd quarter of the bracket. Even the 3rd place finisher finished almost 30 minutes before I did. But I was almost 30 minutes faster than the slowest finisher in our bracket. So that can be a tricky metric to use.

I started this post to get an idea of my ride. I'm happy to talk about the swim and the run, but that really wasn't the focus of this thread. I know the swim is my weakest event. I've done better in the run in other events. Not sure why I was so wiped out this time. Could have been due to traveling. Could have been lack of rest. Could have been any number of factors. I'm not saying I don't appreciate helpful suggestions, but this particular triathlon at this pace is not a fair comparison. I did an Olympic in April where I averaged a 9:30 over the six miles compared to the 10 minute pace I averaged here.
Old 07-18-22, 05:16 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
I guess it's relative. Sometimes I win my age bracket, which is easy when I'm the only one in it.
That itself should tell you something about the accomplishment.
Old 07-18-22, 06:44 AM
seypat

The very first multi sport event I did was an Olympic duathlon. There was one other person in my age group. It was a really hot day. We had an epic battle on the 2nd run(like a couple of VW bugs at the dragstrip) until he succumbed to the heat and sat down under a shade tree for a rest. I won the race but got some type of time penalty which put him first. So, I got first, then regulated to 2nd and also last in my age group. Usually it's BOP.

Last edited by seypat; 07-18-22 at 06:54 AM.
Likes For seypat:
Old 07-18-22, 07:14 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
I'm pretty happy with it overall. This was my fifth tri and that's my fastest pace so far. Not by a lot, but still fastest. And it was mostly flat. The course was two laps that included a back-and-forth over a bridge.

As for the run, I gave it all back there. I ran right at a 10 minute/mile pace. I'm not exactly a speedy runner but in a single 5k or 10k event I'm generally around an 8:30-9 minute pace. I was just out of gas at that point. What I did really well (for me) was the swim. The swim has always been my worst event. Regardless of wave, I am usually one of the last ones out of the water. But about 9-10 months ago I started to incorporate some upper body free weights in my routine and I've been swimming at the public pool twice a week this summer. That has helped immensely. I got out of the water in the back of the pack, but I was still in the pack.

My goal is to do 20mph pace at some point. So, I failed this time. As for power meters and watts and stuff, I have no idea about that stuff. I get on my bike and pedal like hell. As to the course, There were quite a few turns and I had to traverse a bridge a total of four times, so mostly flat, but not ideal.
If you can afford it, find a good local bike shop that specializes in fitting TT or Tri athletes. The will undoubtable get you more aero and potentially more powerful.

The problem is your goal was not attainable.

With a good fit and decent gear on a flat course, 20 mph is not too hard to achieve. With loose clothing, an upright position, and/or poor fit, 18 mph might be really good. No way to tell from the information provided. $300-400 for a really good eye with fitting equipment might be well worth the spend. If you are 80 years old or 40 pounds overweight, it is more than outstanding. The difference from 18 to 20 mph is about 35% more power and that is not so easy to do. Getting more aero is very easy to do. With the time invested to train for a Tri, getting properly dialed in on the bike is a no-brainer IMO. GL.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 07-18-22, 07:24 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 579 Times in 437 Posts
All of this is so subjective... I mean, it depends if your body is optimized; lungs working perfectly (good cardio) and bringing enough oxygen to your brain and muscles, muscles used to cycling and being able to sustain the required effort, etc. It's just science after all. If you did your best and ended up with that result, it can mean that it's your current limit and it's OK. Can it improve? Of course, with determination, consistency and frequent rides. Ride, eat, sleep, repeat
Old 07-18-22, 08:49 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,279 Times in 2,940 Posts
I started this post to get an idea of my ride. I'm happy to talk about the swim and the run, but that really wasn't the focus of this thread.
You want to get an idea of your ride only? Triathlons (always?) list the splits, so you can just look at that.

I know the swim is my weakest event. I've done better in the run in other events. Not sure why I was so wiped out this time. Could have been due to traveling. Could have been lack of rest. Could have been any number of factors. I'm not saying I don't appreciate helpful suggestions, but this particular triathlon at this pace is not a fair comparison.
If the triathlon was not a fair comparison, what do you hope to discover from a bunch of cyclists that ride different disciplines?
Old 07-18-22, 09:10 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6176 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
If you are going to do Triathlon's and don't have a coach or anyone else to critique or compare your efforts with, then for the cycling part, just look on RideWithGPS, Strava and any other site to see if anyone at the event might have posted their ride for the public to see. Then you can assess whether your cycling is where you need to concentrate much on.

If you have friends or made acquaintances at the event and you also are on RideWithGPS, Strava or other, then see if they are also and will add you to their friends list or if there is a group you can get on for that site so you can see the rides of others doing that type stuff.
Old 07-18-22, 11:57 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
I do one, maybe two duathlons a year. A chance to ride the TT bike. The recent local yokel one I did was about 1200ft elevation in 25mi of the ride and I did 24.5mph, including braking down a hill for a while for slow car traffic (just bad course design there).

The two 5k runs? 22:05 and 22:35 on a rolling course. Some decent little hills included.

That was good enough for the win by something over 2min. The real fast folks at this are doing the bike at about the same but the runs more in the 18min per 5k pace. Meaning in a more elite event instead of local I would have gotten smoked by about 6min.

All that to say......you have to do tri/du/time trial stuff as personal goals and personal bests.

You can snoop the finish times then find folks on Strava and see what their weekly hours are by activity type. Then set personal goals for training/finishing from there. With a mind to what age the folks are also.
Old 07-18-22, 01:15 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11952 Post(s)
Liked 6,601 Times in 3,466 Posts
Addiction is the thread below; It features kids, pets, woodworking, cars, coffee, kitchen gear, football, and even the occasional bike.
Through no fault of your own you failed to mention the birds. I will take it upon myself to remedy that omission.
Likes For BillyD:
Old 07-18-22, 02:21 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4926 Post(s)
Liked 8,047 Times in 3,805 Posts
I haven't read all the posts, but my best advice is just to compete with yourself. Try to improve every event, and track your own progress.

A female rider (27yo) from my area did the same event as you. She was a swimmer in college, and is becoming a monster on a bicycle. Her weakness is her run. On the bike portion, she averaged 22.9mph (fastest woman), and had an overall time for the event of 1:09:32 (6th place for all women). She's kind of a beast.
Old 07-18-22, 02:29 PM
VegasJen

Originally Posted by Eric F
I haven't read all the posts, but my best advice is just to compete with yourself. Try to improve every event, and track your own progress.

A female rider (27yo) from my area did the same event as you. She was a swimmer in college, and is becoming a monster on a bicycle. Her weakness is her run. On the bike portion, she averaged 22.9mph (fastest woman), and had an overall time for the event of 1:09:32 (6th place for all women). She's kind of a beast.
Ya, 1:09 is boogeying. My overall time was about 1:45. But a 23mph pace, even for such a short course, is flat flying. Oh, how I wish I could be 27 again.
Likes For VegasJen:
Old 07-18-22, 02:49 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4926 Post(s)
Liked 8,047 Times in 3,805 Posts
Ya, 1:09 is boogeying. My overall time was about 1:45. But a 23mph pace, even for such a short course, is flat flying. Oh, how I wish I could be 27 again.
Yeah. That girl is strong AF. Her "weak" run was a 7:10 pace.

My fitness peak was 35. That's also the year I quit racing, and then spent 15 years off the bike. I'm 53 now, and got back to riding 2 years ago.
Old 07-18-22, 03:25 PM
VegasJen

Originally Posted by Eric F
Yeah. That girl is strong AF. Her "weak" run was a 7:10 pace.

My fitness peak was 35. That's also the year I quit racing, and then spent 15 years off the bike. I'm 53 now, and got back to riding 2 years ago.
Similar story here. I was strongest in my 20s, while I was in the military. Did a lot of physical stuff outside of organized PT. Ran and rode a lot, especially in Okinawa. When I got out, my goal was to just "maintain", but life got in the way. Someone challenged me to a 5k about five years ago. I didn't do nearly as well as I expected. So much for maintaining. But I pushed to get back in shape. Then someone challenged me to do a triathlon. I signed up for April of 2020, then the WuFlu hit and all events shut down. I did my first triathlon last October, at age 51. This one was my fifth in 10 months, also fifth ever. Didn't start triathlons until I was in my 50s. Now I'm regretting not starting younger. I really wish I had at least attempted an Ironman back when I actually had a reasonable shot at finishing one.
Likes For VegasJen:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.