Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

From the Rhine to the Danube

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 07-20-22, 08:31 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts

Does an organization publish a safe and relatively flat route from the headwaters of the Rhine to the headwaters of the Danube?
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 07-20-22, 08:49 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
Check the Euro Velo maps. EV 6 follows the Danube for a while, not sure how close to the headwaters it is,
Old 07-20-22, 09:05 AM
CMAW 
Pining for the fjords

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 443 Times in 150 Posts
Limes route
Probably the only cycle route on the Unesco world heritage list! Links Rhine and Danube along the border of the ancient Roman empire.
(Limes = border)
Old 07-20-22, 10:16 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, 1982 Stumpjumper, Alex Moulton AM, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i8, 2021 Motobecane Turino 1x12

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1644 Post(s)
Liked 1,785 Times in 1,041 Posts
Originally Posted by CMAW
Limes route
Probably the only cycle route on the Unesco world heritage list! Links Rhine and Danube along the border of the ancient Roman empire.
Looks good!

https://www.komoot.com/collection/93...-to-the-danube
Old 07-20-22, 10:31 AM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 830 Times in 433 Posts
A lot depends how you are going to define the headwaters of the Rhine River. I've ridden some in Switzerland, and I'm not sure there are any flat routes. I've also ridden quite a bit in Germany. We picked up the Rhine when we were leaving Switzerland and followed it into the Netherlands, but we were not very close to the headwaters. You will see ski areas up near the true headwaters

Switzerland has a good network of bike routes, both road and mountain bike. Be careful about staying on the road routes. We got on a mountain bike route by mistake, and it was a challenge, Luckily we ran into a farmer that got us headed down to the route we wanted.

Do some searches:
Rhine Headwaters Cycling Route.
Rhine Route

There is no problem with defining the headwaters of the Danube

Last edited by Doug64; 07-27-22 at 02:57 PM.
Old 07-20-22, 01:56 PM
axolotl

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 88 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
Does an organization publish a safe and relatively flat route from the headwaters of the Rhine to the headwaters of the Danube?
I have no idea whether an organization has published such a route, but it's not difficult to make one on your own. The source of the Rhine is supposedly a little lake near the Oberalp pass in eastern Switzerland. The source of the Danube is near the town Donaueschingen in SW Germany. I actually biked almost that entire route ages ago. After I crossed the Oberalp pass from Andermatt (a not-too-difficult climb), you just follow the Rhine valley through Chur, then past Liechtenstein, and on to Lake Constance (Bodensee auf Deutsch). Then you go north into Germany toward Donaueschingen. I was riding to visit a cycling friend who lived only about 50 km/30 miles from Donaueschingen. After descending the Oberalp pass, there was a re-climb where the road didn't go right along the Rhine. Otherwise, it was a gentle decline or mostly level ride. I don't recall the ride north from Lake Constance being particularly difficult.

That "Limes" route links the rivers but not the headwaters of the rivers.

Switzerland has plenty of fairly level roads along river and lakes, though some may have lots of traffic.