Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Edge 830 and New Epix Watch

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Old 08-08-22, 01:15 PM
IcySwan1 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 73 Posts

I am a 71 road cyclist relatively late to the game. I still use a fountain pen, so i am clearly a late adapter. I use an Edge 830 in my small and remote Alaska town to track HR, cadence, speed, distance, time, etc. I don't use naviagation because there are only 2 roads and I know where I am and where I am going. So far, so good. But I will be spending the winter in the lower 48 and have been working on getting routes from Ride With GPS. I think I figured it out and that is not the gravamen of the current issue.

I can't get my trusty analog Tag Heuer watch serviced here and have ordered a Garmin Epix. It should be here this week. I am prepared for a steep learning curve. Here is the question - should I synch the watch with the Edge and all the sensors [HR, speed, cadence] and record that activity on both devices, or just let the Edge do that? And, if I synch the watch, does that impact the date reporting to Garmin Connect? I assume the watch will be able to access the Garmin Connect date and read it, but I just don't know if I should be recording the activity on both.

Thanks in advance for any insights.

Mike
Likes For IcySwan1:
Old 08-08-22, 02:35 PM
cuevélo

Bikes: '20 Scott Addict RC 30, '13 Trek Soho Deluxe, '91 Greg Lemond Maillot Jaune, Mid '70s Cuevas

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 41 Posts
I would record just on the edge. The epix has Physio TrueUp and so will see the data from the edge once the edge and watch sync with garmin connect.
Old 08-08-22, 03:39 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
If you don't do routes and navigation then you'll probably have a learning curve with some gotcha's that will crop up when you do start in the lower 48. However I have but don't use the navigation feature or routes on my Garmin's either. And I live where there are plenty of roads to chose from. If you are the type that can look at a map before you ride and know what you need to do, then you'll be all the better just doing that.

But if you need routes and navigation, just remember you'll have a few unexpected things happen. So practice while you are where you know the way.

Garmin has methods for dealing with both watches and Edge devices tracking the same ride. If you use Garmin's phone app, it'll probably pop something up about that when you pair your Epix to it. The watch will be useful for getting information about you while off the bike if you wear it all the time. There are some here that routinely use Garmin watches and Edges, I probably am getting something slightly wrong since I don't use a watch. So look for their replies.
Old 08-08-22, 03:53 PM
IcySwan1 

Good advice, both. I will stick with the Edge for recording. Glad to hear about the watch picking up the data. Amen to unexpected things happening with routes and navigation. I will be prepared to be frustrated.

Mike
Old 08-08-22, 04:10 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
For starters, my advice would be to record using both devices, and see which you prefer. My guess is you'll like using the 830 more for this purpose because of its larger screen. But it could be that the beep isn't loud enough and you prefer the vibration to tell you about upcoming turns, or might enjoy using the watch for this for some other reason. Only one way to find out. 🙂

If you record with both devices, you will either need to turn auto upload off for one of them, or you will have duplicated ride data and will be able to delete either copy to fix it.

Your Epix has better sensors and smarter software, and can record things your 830 can't. But they both take care of the basics.

If you care about "intensity minutes" you need to record with your Epix to get full credit for them. (Some health insurance plans give a small discount for this data.)

If you set your watch up with abnormal heart rate alerts, they will go off when you ride unless you either (1) record using the watch, or (2) put the watch into HR broadcast mode.

Obviously, not recording on the watch will mean you won't have to charge it as often.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 08-08-22, 04:26 PM
Seattle Forrest

FYI
Your Epix uses the same charging cable as all Garmin watches made in the last 5 years or so. You can use the knock off ones on Amazon, I've been doing that for years with no harm.

If you lose or forget your charging cable during your travels, post on Facebook, to running, triathlon, and cycling groups, maybe craiglist too. Somebody will let you use theirs for an hour or two. Happens a lot.
Old 08-08-22, 08:22 PM
IcySwan1 

SF, great tip on the charging cables. I assume that means the watch charging cable is not the standard connector used on the Edge and Varia. That is too bad, but doable. Thanks for the heads up.

Mike
Old 08-08-22, 08:37 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
I also think that Connect has a way to deal with data sent from 2 different Garmin devices, never used it so don't know how it works. I have an Instinct watch as well as an 1030 device, I use the 1030 exclusively while cycling, I do not start a track record on the Instinct as I do get duplicate ride data sent to RWGPS, which means I have to delete one. I do have the Instinct send HR to the Edge, that works well.

Navigation is easy, RWGPS is a good program to create routes (Garmin calls them Courses). I use Garmins iQ system, with the RWGPS app,
loaded onto my Edge, lets me see my created routes for downloading. You need WiFi or cell data for that.
Old 08-08-22, 10:27 PM
IcySwan1 

Steve B, I didn’t know I needed to download the RWGPS app, but I have done that now. And so it begins.

Mike
Old 08-15-22, 12:56 PM
IcySwan1 

Early days, but opted to just record ride with Edge. It looks like all the data goes into Garmin Connect and, like kindly noted above, apparently Physio Trueup allows the data to be accessed from the watch.

I did try creating RWGPS routes to give it a try. Both rides are out and back; one is pretty steep and the other flat. I was particularly interested in the ClimbPro feature on the Edge. It did show up in the hilly ride, but the location of the climbs was off by miles. I am pretty sure it is because of poor satellite reception in the fjord (this is at the end of the longest fjord on North America). The other route is too flat to trigger ClimbPro. I will wait until I get to America and try a hilly course again. This is, of course, using the GPS capacities of the Edge and not the greater satellite potential of the watch.

The comment that the learning curve will be steep is correct. But it is fun. Thanks one and all.

Mike
Old 08-15-22, 01:10 PM
Seattle Forrest

Your Epix watch has a much better GPS receiver than your 830. Especially in challenging situations like a fjord.

Currently I would suggest turning multi band on, on your watch, in case you decide to use it in places your 830 struggles. There is a large update coming this month from Garmin that will introduce a new mode where the watch itself will choose based on signal strength, I would use that when available.
Old 08-15-22, 01:46 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4222 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 916 Posts
Originally Posted by IcySwan1
I can't get my trusty analog Tag Heuer watch serviced here and have ordered a Garmin Epix. It should be here this week. I am prepared for a steep learning curve. Here is the question - should I synch the watch with the Edge and all the sensors [HR, speed, cadence] and record that activity on both devices, or just let the Edge do that? And, if I synch the watch, does that impact the date reporting to Garmin Connect? I assume the watch will be able to access the Garmin Connect date and read it, but I just don't know if I should be recording the activity on both.
People with Edges almost-always just record using the Edge (the vast majority of them don't have two devices to complicate their lives).

NOTE: Seattle Forrest's comment about the better GPS in the watch suggests you should use the watch to record rides in fjords. In most (other) cases, the GPS in the Edges is fine (many, many people use them).

Keep in mind that you can pair the ANT+ sensors to both the watch and the Edge.

I am a 71 road cyclist relatively late to the game. I still use a fountain pen, so i am clearly a late adapter. I use an Edge 830 ...
K.I.S.S.

Last edited by njkayaker; 08-15-22 at 01:56 PM.
Old 08-15-22, 01:53 PM
njkayaker

Steve B, I didn’t know I needed to download the RWGPS app, but I have done that now. And so it begins.
"app" is ambiguous.

The newer Garmins let you download apps like smartphones (these are "IQ apps").

RWGPS has a smartphone app and an IQ app.

You don't need the RWGPS smartphone app. It still a useful app for accessing your RWGPS routes, etc.

The RWGPS IQ app isn't required either but it makes it easier to download routes to your 830.

There's another IQ app, GRouteLoader, that does the same thing as the RWGPS app (and some other stuff). It's also available for watches (unlike the RWGPS app).
Old 08-15-22, 03:00 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2577 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
I still use a fountain pen, so i am clearly a late adapter.
No, you're an early adopter. Fountain pens are back in again. What's your favorite pen?
Old 08-15-22, 03:35 PM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by njkayaker
"app" is ambiguous.

The newer Garmins let you download apps like smartphones (these are "IQ apps").

RWGPS has a smartphone app and an IQ app.

You don't need the RWGPS smartphone app. It still a useful app for accessing your RWGPS routes, etc.

The RWGPS IQ app isn't required either but it makes it easier to download routes to your 830.

There's another IQ app, GRouteLoader, that does the same thing as the RWGPS app (and some other stuff). It's also available for watches (unlike the RWGPS app).
Speaking of needles complication. It's much easier to just make your routes in Connect and send them to the device that way. You don't have to monkey around egg 3rd party software with who knows what kind of support available, and have fewer moving parts which means less to go wrong. Most people consider RwGPS better for building the route, but Connect has improved a lot over the last few years and in the whole it's much simpler this way.
Old 08-15-22, 04:09 PM
Seattle Forrest

NOTE: Seattle Forrest's comment about the better GPS in the watch suggests you should use the watch to record rides in fjords. In most (other) cases, the GPS in the Edges is fine (many, many people use them).
For what it's worth, it seems to be a pattern that Mediatek / Airoha chipsets are better than Sony ones. Garmin seems to choose which to spec based on battery efficiency. I'm sure it's more nuanced than that. In any case the one in the Epix 2, Fenix 7, Forerunner 255/955, and probably the 1040 is really excellent even compared to Garmin's previous generation.
Old 08-15-22, 04:22 PM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Speaking of needles complication. It's much easier to just make your routes in Connect and send them to the device that way. You don't have to monkey around egg 3rd party software with who knows what kind of support available, and have fewer moving parts which means less to go wrong. Most people consider RwGPS better for building the route, but Connect has improved a lot over the last few years and in the whole it's much simpler this way.
Using RWGPS and downloading routes from isn't complicated, Many, many thousands of people do it. RWGPS is popular enough that it's fairly likely that one will come across routes from there. It's fairly common for bicycling clubs to have route libraries on RWGPS.

RWGPS provides Streetview too (which I find useful).

Connect is fine and he could consider just using that.

Last edited by njkayaker; 08-15-22 at 05:06 PM.
Old 08-15-22, 05:05 PM
IcySwan1 

pdlamb, I guess if you hang around long enough things do come back in style. I favor Pelikan Souverans. I have many, but the M800s are the ones I use the most. They have the right heft and size for me, and I like the gold nibs. I also am partial to an Aurora Mare, a limited edition pen. Its nib is even better than the Pelikans. It is stylish, but lacks the gravitas of the German pens.

To others, i have now downloaded the RWGPS mobile app and the Garmin IQ app for the edge. I will hold off on planning routes in Connect for now.

The kindness and time in responding is appreciated.

Mike
Old 08-15-22, 10:58 PM
Seattle Forrest

Using RWGPS and downloading routes from isn't complicated, Many, many thousands of people do it. RWGPS is popular enough that it's fairly likely that one will come across routes from there. It's fairly common for bicycling clubs to have route libraries on RWGPS.

RWGPS provides Streetview too (which I find useful).

Connect is fine and he could consider just using that.
​​​​​​That's not something you need every day but it can be a big deal when you need it. It's not always clear when the route planner won't let you do something if it's because there's a problem in the map data, or if they legitimately don't connect. You can't tell in the Garmin one.
Old 08-16-22, 11:07 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

When using my PC or Mac and on the RWGPS site, if I see a route on RWGPS that I want to use, I only have to pin it. Then it magically appears on my Garmin Edge.

Not sure if that is because I allow Garmin and RWGPS to sync my data from rides or if that is done via RWGP's mobile app that is also on my phone, but seldom used.

Haven't created a route myself in a while. But even that didn't take much thinking to get on my Garmin from RWGPS. Nor did it take much effort from Strava or Garmin Connect.
Old 08-16-22, 12:25 PM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by Iride01
Not sure if that is because I allow Garmin and RWGPS to sync my data from rides or if that is done via RWGP's mobile app that is also on my phone, but seldom used.
This syncing is done through Garmin Connect. "Random" phone apps (like RWGPS) can't do this. Garmin is special.

RWGPS -> Garmin Connect Website -> Edge syncing system.

It doesn't really have anything to do with syncing your recorded rides.
Old 08-16-22, 12:38 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

This syncing is done through Garmin Connect. "Random" phone apps (like RWGPS) can't do this. Garmin is special.

RWGPS -> Garmin Connect Website -> Edge syncing system.

It doesn't really have anything to do with syncing your recorded rides.
I figured it very likely was through the Garmin Connect website and it's related phone app. Somewhere buried in all the terms of use that I agreed to without reading, there were probably things that may have even mentioned such when I told Garmin to sync my ride data with RWGPS.

It seems to work well and is easy peasy. Even for the very computer/web illiterate. Although they might not understand what "pin" means.
Old 08-16-22, 12:47 PM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by Iride01
I figured it very likely was through the Garmin Connect website and it's related phone app. Somewhere buried in all the terms of use that I agreed to without reading, there were probably things that may have even mentioned such when I told Garmin to sync my ride data with RWGPS.

It seems to work well and is easy peasy. Even for the very computer/web illiterate. Although they might not understand what "pin" means.
Through this (it seems):

https://ridewithgps.com/help/garmin-courses
Old 08-17-22, 12:56 PM
Seattle Forrest

Let's try to keep this thread on topic and clear of extraneous chatter. @IcySwan1 is learning a new device that works differently from his 830 and had a learning curve. It would be polite for all of us to leave this space for questions. 🙂