Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Anyone got some Intel? Fondriest Over X SLX NEW tubing

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Anyone got some Intel? Fondriest Over X SLX NEW tubing

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-22, 11:43 AM
curiousabe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 28 Posts
Thanks all! Will swing by with the work to a LBS who restores old bikes and ask them to have a look and possibly get a quote on removing rust and retouching the frame since I really dont have time nor knowledge to do this myself!

Originally Posted by unworthy1
yep ,this is too nice a frame to do any halfway measures. I'd both sand and apply the acid of your choice, including open up any of the "Spider-webs" with a pointed tool (needle) before you seal up with some touch up lac. Lucky the fashionista probably are way into pearl nail polish so wouldn't surprise me if you find some that sort of matches!
My pref is phosphoric acid, and would saturate cotton balls and tape them or saran wrap onto the rusty spots.
this paint job looks like it could be another of the "Varnish by Dosenno Carlo" jobs, even tho not labeled as such. Which may be a clue as to who was the contractor to build these for Fondriest. I don't have any reliable info but my guess is someone like Bonati, possibly whoever also built Guerciottis (?)
Also no real info as to what makes this "new" SLX, never seen that decal before, but since it's also clearly a "custom" set made for them by Columbus, might be nothing but marketing.
a fine bike, bound to ride like a champ, so enjoy!
Last thought: since there's a decal that celebrates 3 victories and the last is '95, chances are this frame is no earlier than that, maybe '96.
Intersting! Saw some old ebay listing and in them it also mentioned 96.

Originally Posted by Steel1
Are the tubes oversized, or ovalized at any of the junctions?
Not sure what is considered oversized but here are the measurements, while I was at it I also measured my De Visini frame which has Columbus Gara tubing

Originally Posted by Andrew_G
The general difference between SL and SLX tubes is that there are additional reinforcing ridges added to SLX tubes at the bottom bracket area, to stiffen things up a bit. The rIdges in the SLX seat tube also reinforce that tube where a front derailleur braze on is attached.

The first generation of SLX tubes has reinforcing ridges on the inside of the chainstays, where the tubes enter the bottom bracket shell. The chainstay ridges run lengthwise and are not spiraled, like the reinforcements on the seat tube and down tube (like those already existing on the steering tube).

Apparently the chainstay ridges were a stress raiser, and created some frame failures. Some harder used frames of original SLX developed stress cracks on the chainstays. The reinforcing ridges on the chainstays were eliminated on the "SLX New" tubes.

I was told directly of the frame failures of original SLX chainstays by framebuilder Roland Della Santa. Here is the SLX card from Columbus, and a section of a tube used to build my 2017 DS.

Columbus SLX Tubes card, with sample of tube

For the Fondriest, I do not know whether there are any differences in their SLX tubes compared to standard production SLX.
Very interesting, thanks!

Originally Posted by smd4
I don't think it looks terrible, although I do prefer this one:

Yea that one is nice but I will probably try to hunt down a 3ttt Mod. 1 Record Strada (have the this on my other bike) imo the most beautiful stem out there

Originally Posted by Andrew_G
One additional comment: SLX tubes were made of traditional diameters.
If the Fondriest has oversized tubes (I can't reliably tell from the photos) that might be the reason for the special Fondriest SLX decal.

See measurements above.

New SL, as I recall, changed from fluted and indented chainstays, to round-oval-round.
Chainstays look oval all the way (I think), see comparison to Columbus Gara (red one) tubing from 1986

Bonus photo of the De Visini bike (saddle is horizontal now so dont panic!)

e

Last edited by curiousabe; 08-09-22 at 11:55 AM.
Old 08-14-22, 07:09 PM
Steel1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 54 Posts
Not sure what is considered oversized but here are the measurements, while I was at it I also measured my De Visini frame which has Columbus Gara tubing
Your Fondriest top tube is oversize. Non-oversize top tube is usually 1", oversize went to 1.125".
DT and ST look standard. Oversize DT went 1.25".

For the chain stays, is the number you provide in the table the narrow dimension of oval cross section?
My ELOS frame chain stay is about 17.8x29.6mm nearest the bottom bracket.
I have another in EL-MAX with chain stay measuring 18.6x35.6mm nearest the bottom bracket.