Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Training for Mt Washington

Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Old 01-23-22, 03:48 PM
808HIcycler

Bikes: 2020 Scott addict RC 10, 2024 Polygon Siskiu D7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 26 Posts

I will be registering for the Mount Washington Hill Climb this year and am looking for suggestions on place to train in Connecticut, Southeastern part specifically. I would like something in the 12-14% range for 20-30 minutes, unless longer would be better, for doing intervals. Those seem to be really sparse in this area, with everything being in the Northwestern part of the state 2+ hours away. Thank you.
Likes For 808HIcycler:
Old 01-23-22, 05:32 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
I don't know that you're going to find that in southeastern CT apart from an indoor trainer.

The highest point in New London county is apparently Gates Hill between Willimantic and Lebanon at around 650 feet. If you could climb that from sea level in around a mile (which I'm sure you can't) that would about meet your goal. So the question is where on a topo map gives a good attack on it?

I don't know, see what you can find https://ngmdb.usgs.gov/topoview/view....6496/-72.2189

My impression is that something on Mt. Greylock is a traditional training route. Or you could go climb route 2 west from Greenfield MA towards Shelburne falls - I've only been down it, but actually had to stop and rest my brake hands! (Though sadly part of the uphill shoulder is a truck climbing lane). For that matter doing laps of Avon Mountain on Rt 44 from the Hartford side would probably wear you out quickly.

Get a kiddie trailer and some sandbags?

There are definitely short things in Groton, the Stonigton side of Mystic, etc that have more than humbled me, but they don't have the duration you seek. Also, Shewville Road...

It has occasionally occurred to me that clip on things that were sort of the exact opposite of aero spokes might occasionally have a training role - sort of ride against artificial resistance, but while actually covering ground out in the real world.

Last edited by UniChris; 01-23-22 at 05:43 PM.
Old 01-23-22, 05:59 PM
808HIcycler

Originally Posted by UniChris
I don't know that you're going to find that in southeastern CT apart from an indoor trainer.

The highest point in New London county is apparently Gates Hill between Willimantic and Lebanon at around 650 feet. If you could climb that from sea level in around a mile (which I'm sure you can't) that would about meet your goal. So the question is where on a topo map gives a good attack on it?

I don't know, see what you can find https://ngmdb.usgs.gov/topoview/view....6496/-72.2189

My impression is that something on Mt. Greylock is a traditional training route. Or you could go climb route 2 west from Greenfield MA towards Shelburne falls - I've only been down it, but actually had to stop and rest my brake hands! (Though sadly part of the uphill shoulder is a truck climbing lane). For that matter doing laps of Avon Mountain on Rt 44 from the Hartford side would probably wear you out quickly.

There are definitely short things in Groton, the Stonigton side of Mystic, etc that have more than humbled me, but they don't have the duration you seek. Also, Shewville Road...

It has occasionally occurred to me that clip on things that were sort of the exact opposite of aero spokes might occasionally have a training role - sort of ride against artificial resistance, but while actually covering ground out in the real world.

I have hit a lot of the short, punchy climbs around here and I can do them in a lower gear if need be. I am also not opposed to driving a little bit on a weekend to find a good climb to do. I only had a short time this summer to find stuff in the area as I only had my bike for about a month and a half before my warm blood said it was too cold. I have been looking at the Mt. Greylock area for some of my rides, which sounds like that is my best option. Thank you.
Old 01-24-22, 01:53 PM
Bmach

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
How about something like Mt Parnassus Rd in Haddam? It is not that far from you and there other roads in that area for repeats also. Maybe Joshuatown Rd starting Brockway/Lyme.
Old 01-26-22, 06:27 PM
808HIcycler

Originally Posted by Bmach
How about something like Mt Parnassus Rd in Haddam? It is not that far from you and there other roads in that area for repeats also. Maybe Joshuatown Rd starting Brockway/Lyme.
Thanks for that. I will have to check out Mt Parnassus road for sure. As slow as I am climbing, that might meet my need, or at least give me a good starting point in the spring. Cheers.
Old 01-26-22, 06:59 PM
Bmach

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
Check this out https://ridewithgps.com/routes/38436190

41 miles 3900’ climbing.

good luck Mt Washington is one tough climb.
Old 02-06-22, 02:02 PM
dendawg

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Years ago when training for the GFNY, over 9000 feet of climbing over 100+ miles there was one guy in my training group who did all the rides on a fixed gear bike, often with weights in a back pack. He said he did because when he got back on his road bike for the event, the hills would be easy. FWIW we were training on sections of the actual route with some of the actual hills.
And if you don't have a long enough hill, just do hill repeats on what you have in progressively higher gearing

Last edited by dendawg; 02-06-22 at 02:06 PM.
Old 02-06-22, 09:17 PM
808HIcycler

That is what I plan on doing once it warms up. For now, Zwift is my friend. Once springtime hits, I found few places to do hill repeats in the area and maybe a couple places that are an overnight stay away to get in come big climbing days.