Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Finger Lakes

Old 05-18-22, 06:57 PM
ashprasad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Finger Lakes

Hi! We're planning on riding four or five days in the Finger Lakes end July. We're looking at riding from town to town, towns like Watkins Glen, Geneva, Hammondsport, Ithaca, and Skaneateles. Any suggestions on route? We realise this may already have been covered - in which case could you please point us to the appropriate thread? Thanks! - Ash.

Last edited by ashprasad; 05-20-22 at 04:53 AM. Reason: Grammar corrections
Old 05-18-22, 07:21 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,043 Times in 1,169 Posts
North end is less hilly, Auburn, Seneca Falls, Geneva. South side is hilly, Watkins Glen, Ithaca, etc..... thats the geography. Look up the Bon Ton Roulet, its an organized 7 day supported ride thru the area same time 7-23-29 this year. They have routes on their website in RWGPS format. This year is listed here - https://bontonroulet.com. Dont think the 22 routing is finalized so may not yet be listed, but if you see a lot of cyclists out there, this will be why
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 05-19-22, 04:17 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,485 Times in 7,316 Posts
^^^Beat me to it.^^^

If you want support, the BTR is usually a good time. I’ve done it twice.
Old 05-19-22, 05:37 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 1,521 Times in 725 Posts
Ash,
There's a decent book called 25 Bike Rides in the Finger Lakes. I'll be trying a few of the routes in June
Old 05-19-22, 07:59 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,043 Times in 1,169 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
^^^Beat me to it.^^^

If you want support, the BTR is usually a good time. I’ve done it twice.
Registration is already closed, ride is filled up.
Old 05-19-22, 08:20 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Steve B.
Registration is already closed, ride is filled up.
Wowzer! Guess there is pent up demand for such things.

I think I last did it in 2014. The two nights night we stayed at Keuka College we were pitched near a really loud and frequent snorer, and there was no lace good to move the tent. The second night the GF and I were watching TdF coverage in a dorm common area. I went back to the tent, grabbed our pillows and sleeping bags and we slept on the couches.

That was a big year for me. Did 10 or so days unsupported in Montana, then the BTR then a week unsupported from Vienna, Ohio, home to Philly in September. In fact, the night before that last trip I ended up staying at the home of a couple I met during the BTR. They just happened to live about 10 min. from the airport where I had to drop off the one-way car rental.
Old 05-19-22, 01:52 PM
groth
astro

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, '72, Bianchi Volpe, '97 (no more, it died), Greenspeed GTVS6, '05, Trek 520, '13

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by ashprasad
Hi! We're planning on riding four or five days in the Finger Lakes end July, We're looking at riding from town to town, towns like Watkins Glen, Geneva, Hammondsport, Ithaca, and Skaneateles, Any suggestions on route? We realise this may already have been covered - in which case could you please point us to the appropriate thread? Thanks! - Ash.
The Finger Lakes Cycling Club has posted routes around all the lakes.

https://www.fingerlakescycling.org/c...dule_id=471799

You would think a loop around a lake would be pretty easy - not so! The roads don't stay right next to the lakes - where they go away from the lakes, there's generally a steep hill!

Keuka Lake is fairly easy as long as you don't go down in the notch.

- Ed
Old 05-20-22, 05:06 AM
ashprasad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks very much Steve, indyfabz, BTinNYC, groth. I've been checking out your links and suggestions and am buying the book. By the way, I'm new to the forum and I wanted to 'like' your posts but couldn't figure out how to do it...
Old 05-20-22, 05:37 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 459 Times in 361 Posts
Originally Posted by ashprasad
Thanks very much Steve, indyfabz, BTinNYC, groth. I've been checking out your links and suggestions and am buying the book. By the way, I'm new to the forum and I wanted to 'like' your posts but couldn't figure out how to do it...
There is a "Like" button on the far right at the bottom of the post. It may not appear if you are new to the forum. You can see it has been a long time since I was new here! Welcome to the forum!
Old 05-20-22, 05:44 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 1,521 Times in 725 Posts
Ash, I'll update you with a report after my late June Finger Lake rides.
All good,
BT
Old 05-20-22, 08:32 AM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Sometimes I wish I was as into this type of riding when I was growing up in Syracuse. Alas, now I'm in flatland Houston, and really wish I could get up back to CNY and ride in the Finger Lakes & Adirondacks, and the Empire State Trail. Maybe someday - traveling with bikes is a pain in the butt!
Old 05-20-22, 12:58 PM
kaos joe

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Santa Cruz TallBoy, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 89 Posts
I've done a bunch of rides in the area. I went to school in Central NY and my love of that green and pleasant land runs deep.

We usually park in the long term lot at Tompkins Co. Airport which is on the Northeast edge of Ithaca. I don't remember the fee but peace of mind is worth lots. From there I've headed usually up the east side of Seneca Lake. It's hard to go wrong road wise, just decide if you want to hug the lake or ride the ridge. Going up the west side of Seneca involves a brake-cooking descent into Ithaca, crossing the urban area (not bad, and I'm NOT a fan of urban) and then a loooong climb out. I prefer east.

Rounding the top of Seneca you have to get onto RT20 for a bit to cross the river. I always went south on 89 just to get off 20, then turned west. You could also go down Seneca. It's all good. Going west I avoid 20 by using East and West River Rd. Going around the top of Cayuga requires a bit of 20 but we managed always to find a way into the park and take that into Geneva. Geneva is a nice place to stop.

You could go down the lake to Watkins Glen, or my favorite is to make way to Keuka Lake on the smallest most remote roads I can find and go down the west shore to one of my favorite tiny villages, Hammondsport. Always try to stay there.

As mentioned getting back to Ithaca on the southern ends of the lakes is going to take a lot of climbing but it's all beautiful country.
Likes For kaos joe:
Old 05-25-22, 04:05 AM
TBlackwell600

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrail, Canyon Endurance AL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by groth
The Finger Lakes Cycling Club has posted routes around all the lakes.

https://www.fingerlakescycling.org/c...dule_id=471799

You would think a loop around a lake would be pretty easy - not so! The roads don't stay right next to the lakes - where they go away from the lakes, there's generally a steep hill!

Keuka Lake is fairly easy as long as you don't go down in the notch.

- Ed
Awesome link. Thank you ! Now I have some new goals.
Old 05-26-22, 05:09 PM
ashprasad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, kaos joe!
Old 05-26-22, 06:52 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by the sci guy
Sometimes I wish I was as into this type of riding when I was growing up in Syracuse. Alas, now I'm in flatland Houston, and really wish I could get up back to CNY and ride in the Finger Lakes & Adirondacks, and the Empire State Trail. Maybe someday - traveling with bikes is a pain in the butt!
There is always the shipping option. I used Bikeflights.com several times to ship from the east coast out west, but after it switched from using FedEx to UPS the price went up and service got a little slower. I recently heard that their competitor, ShipBikes.com, which was still using FedEx, is not doing business right now. It may have lost its deal with FedEx and can’t get a good deal with another shipper. Too bad. So much easier to ship the bike to a LBS and have it ready for you when you arrive. I shipped to the REI in Missoula 4 times. It gladly held my bike box for me during my tours. When I was done I gave them the bike and return shipping slip. They packed it and sent it on its way. I relaxed. Used a LBS in Rapid City when I toured the Black Hills.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-26-22, 07:11 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
There is always the shipping option. I used Bikeflights.com several times to ship from the east coast out west, but after it switched from using FedEx to UPS the price went up and service got a little slower. I recently heard that their competitor, ShipBikes.com, which was still using FedEx, is not doing business right now. It may have lost its deal with FedEx and can’t get a good deal with another shipper. Too bad. So much easier to ship the bike to a LBS and have it ready for you when you arrive. I shipped to the REI in Missoula 4 times. It gladly held my bike box for me during my tours. When I was done I gave them the bike and return shipping slip. They packed it and sent it on its way. I relaxed. Used a LBS in Rapid City when I toured the Black Hills.
thats too bad - i used them twice in the last year to ship bikes.