Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Done With eBay

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Done With eBay

Old 07-12-22, 01:27 PM
Recycled Cycler
Old Worn Treads

Bikes: IF Crown Jewel, Lugged Columbus SLX Serotta

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 24 Posts
Done With eBay

I will NEVER sell something again on eBay.

I'm a frequent eBay buyer, but have not sold anything in several years. They have changed how they pay you and their fees are now ridiculous.

Selling fee now = 12%. And for that 12% they hold your payout for several days. With previous method I got my PayPal payment immediately.

AND THEY CHARGE THE 12% ON SHIPPING, too. I know this is because eBay could not police their site themselves and stop listings of $1 with $1,000 shipping that were attempts to avoid final value fees. But geez I'm a retired IT guy me and some of my developer friends could have easily created a set of code to automatically find those and delete them. But of course that would not allow eBay to collect additional fees.

The 2+ day delay also allows them to accrue tremendous amounts of "float" interest on funds they temporarily hold for those 2+ days. It's worth $$$millions; banks live on float.

And on using eBay shipping: I sold a bike and wanted to get estimated costs using eBay shipping. I entered info and instead of giving me price and allowing me to decide to purchase, it automatically created a shipping label and tracking. Now I have to contact seller and tell them to ignore the tracking; I'll enter tracking in a few days once LBS boxes and BikeFlights picks up.

I'll continue to buy items on eBay, but less than previously. I'll never sell anything there again. I'll use Facebook Marketplace or Craigslist. For musical instruments I already moved to Reverb. The world is ready for a better mousetrap in this niche for sure.
Likes For Recycled Cycler:
Old 07-12-22, 01:46 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
I came to this conclusion several years ago. For me, eBay is a last resort for easily shipped, niche products that aren't likely to be sold locally for close to their value.

And yeah, PayPal is a racket. Unless things have changed recently, they're only licensed as a money transmitter, like Western Union, but they regularly overstep their bounds by doing things like withholding funds.
Old 07-12-22, 04:23 PM
Recycled Cycler
Old Worn Treads

I like PayPal I have no issues with PayPal. Someone pays me I get money instantly if use PayPal. I can transfer the money instantly to my bank via PayPal. I use PayPal all the time.

eBay is the problem. They don't manage funds like PayPal. eBay acts as the broker and it no longer goes through PayPal.

eBay keeping money in escrow, collecting fees on shipping, and charging 12% fee those are the issues!

And eBay's poor decision making is reflected in their financials. Fewer users fewer sales less revenue it's all going downhill. Because they're making it more difficult for sellers and less profitable for sellers. Sellers have to raise their prices by 12% and over-inflate shipping costs to cover the 12%. That causes buyers to, well, buy less. Plus sellers don't get paid in a timely manner.
Old 07-12-22, 04:41 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Recycled Cycler
I'll continue to buy items on eBay, but less than previously. I'll never sell anything there again. I'll use Facebook Marketplace or Craigslist. For musical instruments I already moved to Reverb. The world is ready for a better mousetrap in this niche for sure.
Let me save you some time and headache: skip craigslist.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 07-12-22, 07:18 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7, Trek Emonda ALR, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 1,666 Times in 980 Posts
Yea I stopped when they mandated a link to a bank account. I was like pass and closed my acct. I have not used it in a few years anyway.

Old 07-12-22, 08:23 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Let me save you some time and headache: skip craigslist.
I often see complaints about CL, but I've generally had good experiences as a seller. I like that there are no fees. I like that sales are final and that I can wash my hands of them immediately (no, I'm not texting you, Mr Prospective Buyer). Those two factors are big for me - places like eBay have a track record of being pro-buyer in the event of a dispute, and I just don't want to deal with that noise. I'll take good pictures, I'll accurately and thoroughly describe the item and I'll manage the tire-kickers if it means that when it's done, it's done.
Old 07-12-22, 09:02 PM
oris
I like speed

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix Hi Mod, Specialized Allez Sprint, Bottecchia Emme 4 SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 121 Times in 61 Posts
Don't forget that eBay will still charge you if your listing was ended early.

I'm with others where eBay is a last resort. I had posted up a mini groupset in a few places including eBay; ended up getting a bid but it sold on another platform. Since I ended it early, I had to pay a 12% fee.
Old 07-12-22, 09:46 PM
Recycled Cycler
Old Worn Treads

Yeah the Craigslist for bicycles isn't very helpful or fruitful unless you want a cheap bike for a 4 year old. But it's loaded with bargains for things like drums, cameras, audio, and other categories.
Old 07-12-22, 09:48 PM
Recycled Cycler
Old Worn Treads

Only true if it's an auction and you have bids. if you do just a BIN and end early there is no fee.

Originally Posted by oris
Don't forget that eBay will still charge you if your listing was ended early.

I'm with others where eBay is a last resort. I had posted up a mini groupset in a few places including eBay; ended up getting a bid but it sold on another platform. Since I ended it early, I had to pay a 12% fee.
Old 07-13-22, 06:51 AM
jad3675

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I 'sold' a wheelset on eBay recently that I had marked as US shipping only. Of course, the winning bidder was not from the US. eBay makes you wait 5 days to cancel a non-payment auction, even when the auction cannot be completed.
Likes For jad3675:
Old 07-13-22, 09:53 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1026 Post(s)
Liked 912 Times in 535 Posts
I haven't bought or sold anything on Ebay for at least 12 years and would only use it as a buyer if there was something I could not find anywhere else. Ebay has done nothing but get progressively worse over the years. I only have a PayPal account because someone I make frequent payments to likes to use it. If it wasn't for that I'd lose PayPal too.
Likes For TakingMyTime:
Old 07-13-22, 04:31 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,803 Times in 1,038 Posts
almost all my recent bike related purchases (past two years) were via Craigslist and eBay
Old 07-13-22, 05:38 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
I've been on eBay for 22-23 years and it has gone downhill for a small seller. It is a costly pain and I don't sell. I do buy. I have a lot of stuff to sell but the eBay hassle isn't worth it especially now that the Feds want you to pay taxes on paypal transactions. Who has a receipt on old stuff to prove no money is made.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 07-14-22, 04:33 AM
Colorado Kid

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 82 Posts
Yes, I'm done with E-Bay too. My beef is they wouldn't stand up for sellers. I had a buyer who didn't like something I sold. Sorry, I said, no returns. E-bay force me to refund the money or they would hold the money until I ok the refund. Nope, I'm done with them. Goodbye and good ribbons to them.
Old 07-14-22, 12:37 PM
Gluteus
Maximus

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Done with eBay too. The shipping fees are ridiculous.
Old 07-16-22, 12:30 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 303 Posts
Ditto. I only sell things on eBay that are absolutely void of value to me. That way, psychologically it feels like I'm getting coffee money for things I'd probably just donate or toss.
Old 07-16-22, 02:29 PM
jrobe

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
Agree with most of the above but Ebay still has the highest volume of potential buyers compared to alternatives especially if you live in a less populated area with far fewer local buyers. I still use Ebay for items that are fairly easy to ship and then raise my price some to account for the higher fees. It is still surprising how many buyers are on Ebay looking for items. I can often sell an item on Ebay for a substantally higher price than alternative sites because there are 10-20 times more shoppers.

For payments, I have opened a separate savings account at my local credit union and use this account only for Ebay selling. Ebay usually transfers my money from sales into this account the day after the transaction which is before the buyer even receives my item. I then immediately get the money out of that account so Ebay has no access to any of my funds. I always clearly state in my listings in bold print that I do not accept returns for my items. I had one instance where a buyer falsely claimed that my item was damaged. I again refused to return his money, threatened to close my account and Ebay ate the charge after a couple emails. That was my only problem in about 400 sales.

Ebay has clearly gone downhill but they can still be the place to make the most money on sales.
Old 07-16-22, 03:39 PM
jonathanf2

Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 428 Posts
The key to Ebay is to charge more than what you'd normally charge in order to make up for the fees. Due to the high volume of potential buyers, even if your item is overpriced, there's bound to be someone who wants the item. Also you can put certain sales restrictions in place to weed out scammers. Saying that, selling locally is always the best bet especially when it's cash upfront!
Old 07-16-22, 05:29 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 320 Times in 212 Posts
Originally Posted by Recycled Cycler
The world is ready for a better mousetrap in this niche for sure.
What would it take to make that happen?
Old 07-16-22, 07:48 PM
timsch

Bikes: Schwinn Paramount Series 9C PDG, Specialized Enduro Pro (2002)

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
That sux. I like it for buying
Likes For timsch:
Old 07-16-22, 07:51 PM
Warbird21

Bikes: Salsa Warbird

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 85 Posts
I've been selling vintage briar tobacco pipes on Ebay for about a decade. Now, the payment structure and fees just don't make it worthwhile any more.
Facebook messenger for general items for me, and hobby-specific forums for tobacco pipes, etc.
Likes For Warbird21:
Old 07-17-22, 05:10 AM
Recycled Cycler
Old Worn Treads

It's not "their" shipping fees.In many cases the eBay shipping price is 50% of the UPS or other carrier's price if you were to show pop at UPS and ship at standard UPS rate. Same with Reverb. There really is a major discount on shipping using the eBay rate. Of course you lose some of that discount with the 12% fee they charge.

Originally Posted by Gluteus
Done with eBay too. The shipping fees are ridiculous.
Old 07-17-22, 05:13 AM
Recycled Cycler
Old Worn Treads

FACEBOOK MARKETPLACE HAS BEEN GOLD FOR SELLING VINTAGE VIDEO GAMES.

AMAZON MARKETPLACE, IMHO, WILL SOON TAKE A MAJOR SHARE OF eBay's business. If it's eBay vs Amazon, bet on Amazon.

Oh sorry about all the caps. I'm too lazy to re-type lol.

Originally Posted by prairiepedaler
What would it take to make that happen?
Old 07-17-22, 06:19 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 2,225 Times in 1,248 Posts
I don’t typically sell on eBay but I buy stuff there from time to time. I have gotten some pretty good deals on vintage road bike parts when no one else bids. I have sold items before but probably won’t do very much in the future. eBay held my money for 20+ days because even though I have been buying and selling for many years and 100% feedback , I have not sold anything over $1k so they held my money. The buyer , in one case , even contacted them telling them that they were very satisfied. In one case the buyer was upset because he paid immediately on a “buy it now” for $2500 . I waited 25 days to get paid but eBay took fees immediately, which infuriated the buyer (we became friends after the sale).I have had good results both buying and selling on Craigslist but I understand the potential for things to go bad. I think caution is prudent.
Old 07-18-22, 12:01 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
I wonder if this is why Pro's Closet and others are doing decently well now.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.