Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Google Maps streamed to screen/smartwatch

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Old 07-15-22, 02:04 PM
Rickyjones

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi everyone!

Even though it is legal to drive with a phone mounted on the handlebars where I live, I don't find it safe and I'm always afraid of losing the phone, and it rains a lot so not too good for the phone.

Therefore I'm looking for another solution... I've tried a number of dedicated motorcycle GPS units but they just don't work well for me. Ideally I'd like to set a destination on Google Maps on my Android smartphone, and have a simple small screen on the handlebars showing not much more than the next direction to take, does this exist?

Alternatively I was thinking of mounting a smartwatch with WearOS but I fear the screen will be too small to read and they are rather expensive.

What do you guys use for navigation?
Old 07-15-22, 10:30 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
It sounds like you rode a motorcycle?

A lot of people use GPS bike computers that are attached to the frame of the bike in a convenient way, extending ahead of the handlebars. These don't provide the same navigation experience as Google Maps, the UX is very primitives like three human powered vehicles we prefer. 🙂 The simplicity removes a lot of distraction.

And a lot of people use an older phone that's no longer being used as a phone. If anything happens, there goes $30.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 07-16-22, 03:32 AM
bluehills3149

Bikes: depends what week it is..

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 47 Posts
apple watch does this