Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

GPS tracking update

Old 07-26-22, 08:24 AM
jrickards

Bikes: 2012 Kona Sutra, 2002 Look AL 384, 2018 Moose Fat bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
GPS tracking update

I have my phones location shared with my wife so she can know where I am when I'm out on a ride but the phone location can pause for minutes so i might have moved on. I've noticed that sometimes when she is picking my up from work, she could be outside my office but her phones location appears 2km away. I don't know if this is a phone issue that could be "solved" with a Spot or similar device, or if they have the same issue.

Do they update more frequently? Can they be tracked more accurately?
Old 07-26-22, 08:54 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
I have used google maps to share location between me and my wife for years on our smart phones. Sometimes... actually more often in the last handful of years googles shared location has been way off at times just like you describe.

With my Garmin Edge I also share location when I'm riding my bike through what Garmin calls Live Tracking. It's been much more accurate and seems to be updated more often and gives more info. Though it sometimes screws up too. But way less often. Though you do have to remain in cell tower range to be able to provide info to whomever is tracking you.

Spot trackers will probably be very accurate. Unless they've changed up and offered some new stuff that works differently. I use to sail a lot and be out of cell phone reception quite often. The Spot trackers were made with tracking as their main and virtually only purpose. They communicate directly with satellites and even when a 100 miles or more off the coast well away from cell towers their location can be seen. Never seen any that seemed to be inaccurate in location. A friend still uses one and I can see where he is when he is out sailing way off shore.

On land in mountainous terrain, it might be that terrain might shield the Spot Tracker at time from communicating. But likely it's still way better than any cell phone based tracker.

Last edited by Iride01; 07-26-22 at 09:02 AM.
Old 07-26-22, 09:36 AM
cuevélo

Bikes: '20 Scott Addict RC 30, '13 Trek Soho Deluxe, '91 Greg Lemond Maillot Jaune, Mid '70s Cuevas

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 41 Posts
If there is decent cell service in the areas that you bike, Garmin LiveTrack or Strava Beacon are going to be a much better deal than a Spot tracker.
Old 07-26-22, 10:10 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,046 Times in 1,170 Posts
Spot Tracker is a satellite connection that you pay a monthly service for. Not sure the OP wants that.

It sounds like for what you doing, both of you tracking the others phone, I would just research better phone tracking apps and use those.
Old 07-26-22, 10:13 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by jrickards
I don't know if this is a phone issue that could be "solved" with a Spot or similar device, or if they have the same issue.

Do they update more frequently? Can they be tracked more accurately?
SPOT is a satellite enabled messaging device made to get you rescued when you're in trouble and beyond cellular reception. These are not the drones you want.
Old 07-26-22, 10:32 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4244 Post(s)
Liked 1,344 Times in 933 Posts
Originally Posted by jrickards
I have my phones location shared with my wife so she can know where I am when I'm out on a ride but the phone location can pause for minutes so i might have moved on. I've noticed that sometimes when she is picking my up from work, she could be outside my office but her phones location appears 2km away. I don't know if this is a phone issue that could be "solved" with a Spot or similar device, or if they have the same issue.
The phone should be using GPS. And outside (with a good signal), that won't be 2 km off. So, there's something else going on.

The phone may not be using GPS continuously. Often, it's turned on "as needed" for a quick location check. You might need to change the permissions of whatever tracking app you are using to use GPS continuously.

SPOT requires a subscription, which seems overkill for what you are looking for.