Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

The Fox | Gravel Bikepacking Event with a Tandem

Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Old 08-02-22, 07:46 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,011 Times in 518 Posts

We stepped into the unknown with The Fox (formally The Heck Epic). The Fox for 2022 was a 2-day, self-supported, 140-mile, gravel bikepacking race and we did it on a tandem. We are the first riders to complete this event with a tandem! This course is very remote, there are no towns on route, only one bar and a handful of cabins. The event offers one checkpoint with support at the half-way point each day (and that was an very well supplied check point ... so nice!).

We got our Co Motion Java late last year as a 30th anniversary gift to each other. Last year we broke it in with The Filthy 50, toeing the startline with only 90 miles on the bike. This summer has allowed more miles and experience, but we've been fighting to keep Frau Toad comfortable in the stockers positions, changing and tweaking handlebars and saddle. But with all training, Day 1 of The Fox was our longest tandem ride ever (68 miles) and then day 2 upped it to 69 miles.

The course offered many challenging climbs, including 20 miles into day 1 ... Heartbreak Hill! A gravel wall that ramps to 15%+, it got this Toads heartrate up to 180 bpm ... not seen that number in a LONG TIME. We needed to stop before the top to recover our heartrates. Day 2 starts with a wall right out of the camp ground, ramping over 15%, before becoming a very long drag up away from the lake, gaining a 1,000 feet in the first 7 miles! Also, there was the technical 5-mile double-track section, we had 4 bailouts along this section because of step boulder climbs and deep sandtraps.

Our biggest challenge was the stockers saddle got messed up at the checkpoint on day 1, this Toad had been using the stockers saddle to lift the rig to put the kickstand down ... but we found out that bolts had loosened just enough for the saddle angle to change. We noticed the change before rolling out, but lacked a great way to be sure we had the angle back to the correct position. Frau Toad got to the campground that afternoon to find that saddle position caused some damage to the undercarriage. I was able to get the saddle dialed in after setting up camp. But, we went to bed planning to DNF and thinking about ways to get back to our car. In the morning. However, as we rode the short distance to the morning meeting and breakfast, Frau Toad said she was feeling like she could do it. We understood that there was no 'kinda' do it on this course, we either get to finish line or we'd be stuck in the woods with swarms of biting flies. Happily we made the finish line with more quick stops to remove pressure from damaged areas, and we learned to post (stand) together to get a rolling break.

It was an amazing group of people at The Fox, from the organizers to the volunteers to the cast of characters riding with us.

We had no goals other than enjoy adventure and getting back home safely ... bonus we finished 39/40 (we each had our own bib) of the 64 riders that finished. Our two-day combined time was 12:15.

Here's our Java ready to rollout on the first morning:

Here's Hypno Toad and Frau Toad at the finish line ... with a smile!

Here's the route, starting/finishing in Finland (southwest) and camping in Grand Marais (northeast).

Here's a raw edit from the double-track section on day 2

Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 08-03-22, 06:08 AM
Alcanbrad

Bikes: '14 CoMo Carrera, '11 CoMo Primera co-pilot, '98 Santana Visa, a Plethora of road bikes, A commuter/Gravel beast (and 1 MTB)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 38 Posts
Looks like a great adventure. It’s the shared experiences, challenges,and accomplishments that make tandeming so rich and rewarding.
Likes For Alcanbrad:
Old 08-09-22, 07:43 AM
kermie

Bikes: 2014 Fuji Cross 2.0 LE, 1993 Santana Vision, 1993 Specialized Allez Pro, 1993 Trek 930, 1985 Panasonic DX3000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 55 Posts
That sounds and looks like a lot of fun!! Thank you for sharing this story, as it helps get me more motivated to get my stoker out more and take bigger challenges.
Likes For kermie:
Old 09-23-22, 05:58 AM
Thebucket71

Bikes: CoMotion tandem, All City fixie, Cannondale road bike, fold-up bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I have a question for Hypno Toad. My girlfriend and I are on the same bike with quite a bit of height difference as well. I am 6 ft tall she is only 5 ft Couldn't go with the large would have been too big for her went with a small sized Java frame. I went to a 120mm long stem seems okay, usually ride a 58 or 59 CM top tube so a 54 with the angle frame seems to be okay. You guys are brave to take it on that challenge riding a tandem. My hat comes off to you.

Last edited by Thebucket71; 09-26-22 at 05:51 AM.
Old 09-27-22, 08:27 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,011 Times in 518 Posts
Originally Posted by Thebucket71
I have a question for Hypno Toad. My girlfriend and I are on the same bike with quite a bit of height difference as well. I am 6 ft tall she is only 5 ft Couldn't go with the large would have been too big for her went with a small sized Java frame. I went to a 120mm long stem seems okay, usually ride a 58 or 59 CM top tube so a 54 with the angle frame seems to be okay. You guys are brave to take it on that challenge riding a tandem. My hat comes off to you.
Thank you! I'm so proud of Frau Toad for trusting me on this adventure!

I'm 6 ft and Frau Toad is 5'3", we have a medium Java frame. Frau Toad's single bikes are small (Surly Midnight Special is 40 cm & Bianchi Infinito is 47 cm) & my bikes are 57-58 cm

Our Java was built up by Twin Cities Tandems and Steve did a great job with the details on bike fit ... but we did work with a local friend, physical therapist, and bike fitter - Go Physio - to dial in Frau Toad's stocker bars, we needed a longer stocker stem ... and those things are crazy hard to order right!

I don't have details on the captains stem angle, but it's 100 mm; and the stocker adjustable stem is at 250 mm.

I hope that helps, happy to share any other details that might help with your Java set up.