Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Help identifying Bianchi

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Help identifying Bianchi

Old 08-07-22, 01:16 PM
Genghis Kant

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Help identifying Bianchi

A local seller is offering this Bianchi, but he doesn't have much info on it. Could someone help me identify model or aprox. manufacture year? And is it any good? Any help is appreciated!

Old 08-07-22, 03:44 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
I don't know much about Campy any more. But if you get the model number of that rear DR and find out when it came out and when it was dated by a new model, then you'll have a date range for the bike.

Still, it's a used bike. It has old stuff that may or may not need replacing soon. And if you can't do that all yourself, it might quickly get expensive at a bike shop.

Nice looking bike, I use to always want a Bianchi, but I got over it. As long as everything works properly, it fits you correctly and has the appropriate gearing for the riding you plan to do and the terrain there, then go for it if it's at a price that won't bother you if you later decide it's not for you.
Old 08-07-22, 03:54 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,851 Times in 4,396 Posts
I guess you can't test ride it with no chain. Is it the right size for you? I'd guess it's about 20 years old, maybe? Like Iride01 says, buyer beware.
Likes For big john:
Old 08-07-22, 04:25 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
I didn't even notice the missing chain. That's 30 to 50 dollars off the asking price right there. More if you need to have a bike shop size it to the bike for you.

Plus, you'll never know if everything works with the drivetrain and shifting.

For the right price it might be a good project and a great find. But I'd plan on putting all new 11 speed stuff on it. So the price will need to be very very cheap.

Last edited by Iride01; 08-07-22 at 04:29 PM.
Old 08-07-22, 04:34 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Do NOT ride that bike. The crank bolt on the right side is missing. The front derailleur is wayyyyyy too high. It's Shimano shifters and a Campy rear derailleur...not going to work. At least it has a Campy derailleur. That bike probably won't work worth a damn. A strong do not buy IMO.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 08-08-22, 03:08 PM
clichty

Bikes: Moots Vamoots RCS, Serotta Ti, Felt F55, Surly Ogre

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 12 Posts
Looks like someone found some random parts and just slapped it on that bike. Agreed that unless you just want a frame for a project, I would hard pass on this.
Old 08-12-22, 03:28 PM
J_Chickles

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
Do NOT ride that bike. The crank bolt on the right side is missing. The front derailleur is wayyyyyy too high. It's Shimano shifters and a Campy rear derailleur...not going to work. At least it has a Campy derailleur. That bike probably won't work worth a damn. A strong do not buy IMO.

LOL -- bingo! 600 tri color wheelset - , 9 speed Record RDR (actually that would be kinda nice if it didnt look like it was drug down a gravel pit) , budget grade brifters that also look like theyve been through a war and a brakeset thats 25 years old or more also (brakes probably match the shifters though) -- and i cant even tell what that crankset is except that its an old spline or Isis drive carbon job

-- stay away unless its cheap, you want a project, and you're short enough to ride it - (probably 5'7" or so max )
Likes For J_Chickles:
Old 08-12-22, 08:04 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked 1,671 Times in 955 Posts
Probable reason for no chain is so that a prospective buyer would not be able to check to see how well the bike shifts gears
Don't buy at any price
Old 08-14-22, 09:16 AM
aliasfox

Bikes: Lynskey R270 Disc, Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 129 Posts
Assuming the frame/fork/headset haven’t gone through a threadless conversion, probably post 2002. Assuming the 9-speed Record rear derailleur is original (it isn’t) or at least vintage (maybe), then probably no newer than 2004.

But lack of chain means an immediate no. All of those components are pretty worn, so even assuming it shifts and stays in gear reasonably (unlikely, given the mashup of Shimano and Campy), a new chain will cause plenty of skipping issues, necessitating a new cassette and possibly new rings as well. Just those parts will set you back $150.