Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

DC Metro Northeast Thread.

Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |
View Poll Results: Which Region should DCbe placed?
Northeast
72.22%
Southeast
22.22%
I like the current setup with DCfloating freely
5.56%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-10, 02:20 PM
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts

This is an exploratory thread to see where DC actually belongs. Whether it be northeast, or Southeast. So, events in the DC Metro, Maryland area should be discussed here, at least as a topic opener. Whichever sticky generates the most traffic will be the forum for DC, whether that be NE or SE.

There is also a poll forthcoming on this sticky. I'll leave the poll running for 30 days.

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 04-20-10, 04:39 PM
songfta
Cycling Skier

Bikes: 2019 Moots Vamoots DR, 2008 Pedal Force ZX3, 2006 Jamis Eclipse, 1997 Marin Indian Fire Trail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A few questions for DC-area cyclists:

1. How many of you regularly commute within the District?

2. If you do commute, do you tend to stick to roads with DDOT-provided bike lanes, or stick with the most direct route, regardless of the presence of bikes lanes?

3. If you commute by bike, does your place of employment provide for parking for your bicycle (e.g. racks in the parking structure or in front of office)? Do they allow you to bring your bike into your office or business?
Old 04-21-10, 11:13 AM
Relaxer
Tora Tora Tora

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1. How many of you regularly commute within the District?

I've been commuting daily for around four years. Each way is around four miles.

2. If you do commute, do you tend to stick to roads with DDOT-provided bike lanes, or stick with the most direct route, regardless of the presence of bikes lanes?

My commute has a 6 block section of bike lanes. They're nice in theory, but in practice they end up just being additional room for drivers to try and get ahead of other cars, double-park or get a jump on a right-on-red. So in some ways, in my experience, they're more of a hindrance. That said, I think they symbolize the city's intent to make itself more bike-friendly so I support it in the end.

3. If you commute by bike, does your place of employment provide for parking for your bicycle (e.g. racks in the parking structure or in front of office)? Do they allow you to bring your bike into your office or business?

My work (NPR) has a parking garage, which costs money to park in, but it also has a bike rack in the garage part as well as an additional locked room in the garage, with gravity stands, racks and open space to park a bike. It is very convenient and I feel totally confident parking an expensive bike in there without a lock.
Old 04-23-10, 01:00 PM
songfta
Cycling Skier

Bikes: 2019 Moots Vamoots DR, 2008 Pedal Force ZX3, 2006 Jamis Eclipse, 1997 Marin Indian Fire Trail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another article on DC in this Northeast forum post: "Hit and run on Capitol Crescent Trail." Granted, the section of the CCT mentioned is in Maryland, but the CCT covers a lot of ground in the District, as well.
Old 04-28-10, 11:38 PM
Trek760

Bikes: Kona Rove DL, Donnelly G//C

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tom I, and many many others, firmly believe that there needs to be a Mid-Atlantic section.
Old 04-30-10, 07:47 PM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Mid-Atlantic, just like I said in the other thread.
Old 05-01-10, 06:39 AM
qmsdc15
Banned

Bikes: rockhopper, delta V, cannondale H300, Marin Mill Valley

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
No question that a Mid-Atlantic section would rock. The five most viewed threads in Northeast specifically about Md, DC and Va(!) have received a total of over 125,000 views. (Yes, a thread here in NE section from '05 about Arlington, Va/DC got 2600+ views.)

It should be noted that the vast majority of those views are of a thread about Maryland riders, not about DC. I support the formation of a Mid-Atlantic section, but that's a separate issue. I would not want these stats to be used to support the placement of DC in Northeast. We all know where the most active thread about DC is currently located.

Actually some of you northerers might not know. It's in the Southeast section. Y'all come visit. Take your shoes off, set a spell.

"For years you Yankees have been muttering 'the North will rise again'!" - Granny Clampett

Last edited by qmsdc15; 05-01-10 at 06:46 AM.
Old 05-03-10, 05:51 PM
qmsdc15
Banned

Bikes: rockhopper, delta V, cannondale H300, Marin Mill Valley

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by songfta
Another article on DC in this Northeast forum post: "Hit and run on Capitol Crescent Trail." Granted, the section of the CCT mentioned is in Maryland, but the CCT covers a lot of ground in the District, as well.
This NE forum is where almost every thread about DC is posted. I feel kind of stupid to have started a thread in SE. Honestly, I had a picture I wanted to share and didn't know where to put it. Hey, by the way, why don't you post a pic of the day in the K street thread when you have new stuff? You take nice pictures. I posted four today, but I try to just post one or less each day...

Are you the DC Rudi that is frequently mentioned in the Fredcast cycling podcast?
Old 05-03-10, 09:02 PM
songfta
Cycling Skier

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Will post pix - great idea, and I've been remiss in uploading for a while now.

Originally Posted by qmsdc15
Are you the DC Rudi that is frequently mentioned in the Fredcast cycling podcast?
Perhaps, yes.
Old 05-14-10, 11:10 AM
RobHalligan

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Since DC is not included in either (any) regional forum and I want to post a DC-specific post without having to double post, I asked Tom Stormcrowe to give DC a home. He wasn't excited about changing the present set-up but decided to do this poll. Thanks Tom. Given that getting a Mid-Atlantic forum doesn’t seem to be an option at this point, please vote before May 18th on either – to give DC a home.
Old 05-14-10, 11:30 AM
cc_rider
Calamari to go

Bikes: Trek 750

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Would like to see a Mid-Atlantic forum.
Doesn't make sense to split the several hundred members in the DC area into two forums.
Old 05-14-10, 11:52 AM
poena

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
mid atlantic forum makes sense...it's on other forums i visit.
Old 05-16-10, 12:09 PM
Trek760

Bikes: Kona Rove DL, Donnelly G//C

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There seems to be a consensus that a Mid-Atlantic forum should be started and have the current threads in the NE & SE forums migrated over. I am sure that someone within our community would volunteer to be a moderator/admin to watch over things.
Old 05-17-10, 05:31 PM
RobHalligan

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Maybe DC can work on getting a Mid-Atlantic forum after getting LISTED AT ALL on any forum. If you read Tom and my discourse, moving borders was not an option for him. Migrating posts SE and NE seems extremely unlikely. For now (until tomorrow) the voting options are SE, NE, or keep us not mentioned as part of any forum. If you want to try to convince Tom to include a Mid-Atlantic option, good luck to ya. I’d be for it too.
Old 05-18-10, 02:38 PM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
If it's so friggin' difficult, call it NE. Sheesh.
Old 05-22-10, 08:16 PM
dbec

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is kind of late, but here goes:
1. I do every day -- from Brookland to Capitol Hill, ~ 4 miles
2. Since a major section has just completed being built, I now take the Metropolitan Branch Trail most of the way. The places from my house to the trail and from the trail to work are all without bike lanes. In general I prefer a street with a bike lane if I don't have to go more than a couple of blocks. But I also factor in road width (I will take a lane if it's really narrow but I prefer to avoid that), traffic volume, and road surface quality.
3. There are racks in front of the (large government) building as well as racks in the garage. I generally park outside (there are lots of police and it's pretty secure) unless the weather is nasty. One of my bikes is a folder which I've taken inside -- never tried this on one of my full-sized bikes but I suspect it's not allowed.
Old 05-24-10, 06:51 AM
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
OK, the results are tabulated, and DC is going to be placed in the NE Subforum.

NE:17 votes total
SE: 10 votes total
As Is: 5 votes total

This was the totals of both threads, in SE and NE.

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant