Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Fast vs Slow Touring Bikes ?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 08-02-20, 12:01 AM
pakeboi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 29 Posts

I've read that Surly's LHT/DT is considered a slow touring bike .
Which brand/models are considered fast touring bikes ?
Old 08-02-20, 05:27 AM
headwind15
Bikeable

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 73 Posts
The brand with the strongest legs are the fastest.
Old 08-02-20, 05:34 AM
sloar 

Bikes: they change so much I'm tired of updating this

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Quoted: 1211 Post(s)
Liked 1,120 Times in 421 Posts
I had an older Trek 520, I think late 90's. It rode like a traditional road bike, I'm not sure how the newer 520's are.
Old 08-02-20, 06:20 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 422 Posts
You actually can tour on a faster road bike if you can pare down the load, and if comfort is secondary to speed. One 2000 mile trip on a road bike convinced me that wasn't the best idea for me, but it works for others. I know a guy (in his seventies) who tours extensively on a CF frame while carrying minimal gear in a small backpack.

Last edited by andrewclaus; 08-02-20 at 01:51 PM.
Old 08-02-20, 06:43 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
When i was touring in Iceland, I met a couple that rode Ritchey Break Away bikes with bike packing gear, no racks. With Break Away bikes (the frame splits to pack the bike in a smaller case) and by packing light they only checked their bike cases, they carried the rest of their gear for a two week tour in their carry on bags on the plane.

I did not ask their permission to post photos on internet, so I cropped out their faces from photos.

There is no way that I would have wanted to pack that light for a two week trip in a place where it rains and gets windy cold, but it worked for them. I was carrying a lot more stuff on my slow bike.
Old 08-02-20, 07:17 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2732 Post(s)
Liked 953 Times in 784 Posts
Originally Posted by headwind15
The brand with the strongest legs are the fastest.
hit the nail in the head there monsieur.

and as stated, also the one with the lightest load. Most "touring bikes" that will be still be competent and not overstressed with a reasonable amount of touring load, tend to weigh in at the high 20s, close to 30lbs with pedals, bottle cages, racks, maybe fenders. So if you carry 25lbs of stuff on top of that, or 45lbs, this is always going to be the big factor in how fast one actually pedals along...

yesterday, I loaded up my bike for the first time in a long while, and man was it slow.
Old 08-02-20, 07:46 AM
pakeboi

Originally Posted by djb
hit the nail in the head there monsieur.

and as stated, also the one with the lightest load. Most "touring bikes" that will be still be competent and not overstressed with a reasonable amount of touring load, tend to weigh in at the high 20s, close to 30lbs with pedals, bottle cages, racks, maybe fenders. So if you carry 25lbs of stuff on top of that, or 45lbs, this is always going to be the big factor in how fast one actually pedals along...

yesterday, I loaded up my bike for the first time in a long while, and man was it slow.
Sounds like you need a pair of "brand" new legs .
Old 08-02-20, 07:52 AM
djb

Originally Posted by pakeboi
Sounds like you need a pair of "brand" new legs .
and a tent that weighs half as much, a rain jacket that weighs a third as much, amongst other things----hey buddy, can you spare a nickel, I mean a grand?
Old 08-02-20, 08:23 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,297 Times in 7,230 Posts
How much touring have you done, OP?
Old 08-02-20, 08:47 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 228 Posts
I've read that Surly's LHT/DT is considered a slow touring bike .
Which brand/models are considered fast touring bikes ?
the red ones, naturally!
Likes For saddlesores:
Old 08-02-20, 08:54 AM
pakeboi

Originally Posted by saddlesores
the red ones, naturally!
If you’re up for packing light and travelling fast, you can’t go past the Diamondback Haanjo EXP.
https://www.cyclingabout.com/best-touring-bikes-2020/

Old 08-02-20, 09:36 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Fast? Is it a race? My bikepacking routes take me on dirt roads, bikepaths, single track and the occasional " off road/trail/ bushwacking. Only use pave to connect them. My Krampus with 3" tires is wicked fast. Never had another Krampus pass me. Is your goal to be head down on aerobars all day? Or sitting up taking in the sights and sounds that nature provides. The fast is up to the rider, really.
Old 08-02-20, 11:50 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
People tour on race bikes the race-tour TransAm most did.

one guy rode/drove a streamlined velomobile.

he had the aerodynamic advantage higher speed the greater the advantage but a weight disadvantage..

Likes For fietsbob:
Old 08-02-20, 12:00 PM
djb

now there you go, aerokings them things. Twice my wife and I have been on a quebec based organized large group trip and there's a guy who has come with his velomobile--coolest things ever, and I can attest that they kick ass on a straightaway or a slight downhill. He has passed me a few times and woooooooooooosh there he goes past!
Old 08-02-20, 12:51 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2429 Post(s)
Liked 2,887 Times in 1,646 Posts
Pakeboi's carbon Diamondback Haanjo EXP pick is probably what I'd go with, too (Pakeboi's link: Here Are The 12 Best Touring Bikes You Can Buy In 2020). But the writer notes that "my other lightweight bike of choice is the flat bar Salsa Journeyman"; aluminum, $800 cheaper. I'd be inclined to take either of those over a steel bike, especially for loaded touring, since I've never cared for the way heavily laden steel frames tend to wallow down the road, especially when pedaling out of the saddle.

Last edited by Trakhak; 08-02-20 at 12:57 PM.
Old 08-02-20, 04:09 PM
AlanK

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Any bike designed for full-on loaded touring is going to slower than other light or general purpose bikes. Since you mentioned that Surly LHT we can compare it with their Cross Check. The X-Check is more of a general-purpose/light touring bike so it will be faster and more nimble, this can't carry as much weight as the LHT. I'm more familiar with Kona bikes and the same is true of their Sutra and Rove models. The Sutra is a loaded touring bike that's probably a bit faster and nimbler than the LHT but not by much. The Rove is a faster, nimbler gravel/all-road model suitable for light touring and commuting.

So ultimately that's the trade-off. If you're only doing light touring and don't carry that much weight any number of reasonably fast bikes are suitable, but a loaded touring bike is going to be a little heavier and less nimble. There's no way around this trade-off.
Likes For AlanK:
Old 08-02-20, 08:01 PM
pakeboi

Originally Posted by AlanK
Any bike designed for full-on loaded touring is going to slower than other light or general purpose bikes. Since you mentioned that Surly LHT we can compare it with their Cross Check. The X-Check is more of a general-purpose/light touring bike so it will be faster and more nimble, this can't carry as much weight as the LHT. I'm more familiar with Kona bikes and the same is true of their Sutra and Rove models. The Sutra is a loaded touring bike that's probably a bit faster and nimbler than the LHT but not by much. The Rove is a faster, nimbler gravel/all-road model suitable for light touring and commuting.

So ultimately that's the trade-off. If you're only doing light touring and don't carry that much weight any number of reasonably fast bikes are suitable, but a loaded touring bike is going to be a little heavier and less nimble. There's no way around this trade-off.
Thank you AlanK for answering the question .
I realize for light touring almost any bike will do but I'm curious if there is a light touring bike(s) that dominates the category the way LHT/DT dominates touring bikes ?
Old 08-02-20, 08:01 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, 1982 Stumpjumper, Alex Moulton AM, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i8, 2021 Motobecane Turino 1x12

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1645 Post(s)
Liked 1,785 Times in 1,041 Posts
Maybe a bike like the Specialized Turbo Creo SL Comp Carbon EVO or Trek Domane+ LT, with bike packing bags for minimalist gear.
Old 08-02-20, 08:29 PM
AlanK

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Thank you AlanK for answering the question .
I realize for light touring almost any bike will do but I'm curious if there is a light touring bike(s) that dominates the category the way LHT/DT dominates touring bikes ?
Probably not, though the LHT doesn't really 'dominate' the way it used to. For awhile it was very much the quintessential touring bike but it doesn't seem to be anymore and since there are several worthy models: The Kona Sutra, Salsa Marrakesh, REI Co-Op Adv models, and probably many other I can't think of right now.
Old 08-03-20, 03:29 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by djb
Twice my wife and I have been on a quebec based organized large group trip
VQ’s Le Grande Tour?
Old 08-03-20, 03:57 AM
djb

Originally Posted by indyfabz
VQ’s Le Grande Tour?
Yup, we did it a bunch of times, saw the velomobile guy twice I think.
Wasn't it you who did it one year? Was a year we didn't do it, before we started I think, from memory of this coming up in the past.
Old 08-03-20, 05:25 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by djb
Wasn't it you who did it one year? Was a year we didn't do it, before we started I think, from memory of this coming up in the past.
Yup. 2008. Started and ended at some ski area in Tingwick. It rained every day while we were riding, except for the first day, when it didn't start raining until the evening. Stayed in Lac-Megentic for two nights. Before the tragedy. The cars of those who did not arrive to the start early had to park in a farm field. Most cars ended up sinking into the mud and had to be towed out by farm equipment. Couldn't wait to get out of Dodge when the event was over. Made it as far as Plattsburg, NY, and got a motel room. But the food was really good. Had duck the first night.
Old 08-03-20, 06:06 AM
djb

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Yup. 2008. Started and ended at some ski area in Tingwick. It rained every day while we were riding, except for the first day, when it didn't start raining until the evening. Stayed in Lac-Megentic for two nights. Before the tragedy. The cars of those who did not arrive to the start early had to park in a farm field. Most cars ended up sinking into the mud and had to be towed out by farm equipment. Couldn't wait to get out of Dodge when the event was over. Made it as far as Plattsburg, NY, and got a motel room. But the food was really good. Had duck the first night.
that's right, I recall now some of those blah details. Yup, first one we did was after that. . VQ took a real beating this year financially because all of their events have been cancelled. Revenue down 65%. Did the little we could to support them simply because they've been so good for cycling over the decades. The organization played a part in my getting into touring over 30 years ago.
Old 08-03-20, 09:30 AM
djb

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
There is no way that I would have wanted to pack that light for a two week trip in a place where it rains and gets windy cold, but it worked for them. I was carrying a lot more stuff on my slow bike.
me too, and I figure its an age/ experience thing. One tends to either not think, or put up with being miserable when one is younger, and or you haven't had unpleasant experiences yet to learn. I'm aware that there is clothing that works really well and is light, but a lot of it is super expensive and I feel realistically that a lot of them will not function like this for long, but will look and work great for a certain while...
i guess if i had money to throw around things would be fine, but I don't so I often just stick with what I presently have.
Old 08-03-20, 10:13 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
My last long tour included a lot of hanging out with the locals & took many Months..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.